The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered HK's window louver which should be a direct drop in.
I have not found anyone who is willing to do the install so I have decided to attempt myself. I ordered the tool to remove the window, Break seal.

I was curious if anyone else has done it. I assume just placing a thick bead of 3M window adhesive around the inner lip of the louver then carefully setting it in place, adding some weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Haven't done it yet, was waiting for someone else or was going to talk to a local glass shop to see if they'd be willing to touch it.

I think the window removal would be easy, just not sure how everything will glue in. I'm almost tempted to use black anodized dzus fasteners with some stick on weather seal around the hatch opening.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to be a piece of cake if it just lays in flat. I am going to have to make spacers that will go around the widow so the gap stays perfect as the silicon drys, and add weight
to hold it in place. I guess worst case is a re-do.

Thought of Zeus fasteners would work, hate drilling this stuff. Plan on doing this all Friday night. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting that window out has been a hassle. Its got a very thick layer of sealant around the window. I bought a window tool and It was not long enough. I think at this point I am going to have someone remove the panel rather than buying more tools that I will never reuse.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey, I am at the glass shop right now, and they cannot figure out how to get the little mesh off first. Removed all the bolts already.

Hoping to save the glass....I know folks have done this. Help!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Hey, I am at the glass shop right now, and they cannot figure out how to get the little mesh off first. Removed all the bolts already.

Hoping to save the glass....I know folks have done this. Help!
Manual doesn't mention removing the little mesh.

To Replace Tailgate Glass

Parts required:
- Tailgate Glass.
- Screen adhesive cutting equipment.
- Betaseal Kit A075B6158F.

1. Apply suction handles to the outside surface of the glass, and disconnect the two HRS cables from the inside.

2. using a dedicated vibrating cutting knife of suitable form, cut the adhesive bead around the entire periphery of the screen, taking precautions as necessary to prevent damage to paintwork or body flange.

3. After cutting out the glass, remove old adhesive from the tailgate aperture sufficiently to leave a consistent and flat surface for the new bonding medium.

4. Clean the whole of the bonding surface on the new glass, and the bonding surface on the tailgate aperture, with the wipe cleaner supplied in the Betaseal Kit (or Betaclean 3900 A100B6008V).

5. Prime the bonding area on the glass to a width of 25mm with the primer in the kit, or with Betaprime 5500 (green cap) A120B6041V.

6. Prime and re-activate the prepared surface of the old adhesive on the tailgate with Betawipe 4000 (A082B6355V). If the tailgate bonding surface is new or without adhesive, prime the tailgate with Betaprime 5404 (red cap) A082B6337V.

7. Allow a minimum of 5 minutes for the primer to dry. If the glass is not fitted within 48 hours, the primer should be re-applied.

8. Cut the nozzle of the Betaseal cartridge as shown in sub-section BV.13, and holding the cartridge vertically, extrude a bead of adhesive around the glass periphery using a finger against the glass edge as a guide. Manipulate the two ends of the bead together for a consistent joint.

9. Cut six 4mm spacer blocks from the material supplied in the Betaseal kit (or use 6 off A124u0069F), and position in the inside edge of the adhesive bead, two along the top bead, two along the bottom, and one centrally in each side bead. These spacers are used to control the fitted height of the glass.

10. Using suction handles, carefully lower the glass onto the tailgate, and position centrally in its aperture. Press around the periphery of the glass to compress the adhesive until contact with the spacer blocks is felt. Carefully examine the integrity of the whole length of the joint, if necessary using a spatula to force extra adhesive into any depleted areas. Wipe off any excess adhesive extruded from the joint, or alternatively, allow the adhesive fully to cure and cut away any excess using a scalpel blade.

11. Position the tailgate horizontally and use duct tape to hold the glass in position until the Betaseal is fully cured. This will take approximately 4 hours dependent on atmospheric conditions, with a longer period required in dry atmospheres. Reconnect the HRS cables.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You can save the glass. Use wire or heavy braided fishing line.

The mesh is bolted in and a dab of urethane adhesive. I cut mine out with a piece of fiberglass since I had the tecnocraft panel but I would imagine you could get it out. The bolt is on the backside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The BIG SECRET is the TWO BEADS of urathane holding in the window!

(At least my glass guys were saying things like "I don't have a blade that large".

They had cut through the first bead, but the window was holding fast.

Here is a good look at the beads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
WARNING:

You will likely cut a wire or two on your wiring harness to the taillights when using piano wire along the top.

My guys were trying not to harm the defroster wires, but ended up cutting into the harness, which is held down by not-the-finest duct tape!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
View out the rear window is actually improved.

Looks very 1987 Esprit like. (The pinnacle of all Lotus styling)

I think there may have been glare before from the glass.

Oh, and it is a 9 pound weight savings. Original glass is 10.5 pounds.

How did so many Lotus people do a mod and NOT report the weight savings??

Attachments

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
:bow::bow::bow:
You guys are true DIY generation :clap::clap::clap:
:bow::bow::bow:

HK ppl will never able to do this :facepalm

Try check the resistance value of the window heating wire.
Then add a similar resistor to complete the circuit. Just in case ECU may kick in, if Lotus ECU manages everything like Porsche does.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow guys thanks for this! I was not able to find someone to do this without being gouged. One person asked 500 to remove the glass.

I have purchased the appropriate tools, Zipline and handles etc. I will be attempting this next week.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Wow guys thanks for this! I was not able to find someone to do this without being gouged. One person asked 500 to remove the glass.

I have purchased the appropriate tools, Zipline and handles etc. I will be attempting this next week.
6 packs :up:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts