The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
a year of no problems just leaving the rear defroster wire dangling. Sicne you have to press the button to activate it, and it has a plug at the end, it hasn't been a problem. I tucked the plug end up out of the way.

500 is absurd. I think I paid 200 to install and do everything, including cutting my fiberglass. Found a great (well reviewed and respected) local glass shop who seemed to enjoy the challenge. If you are in Tampa I can definitely recommend you one!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My guy charged $125. If he had just started working, rather than obsessing over the vent piece, it could have been done in an hour.

He had this little blade handle thingy (like a screwdriver, but with a clamp and blade on the end at 90 degrees) that whizzed past the screen as easily as it did the painted surface.

If I had seen his tools first, I would have insisted he go right ahead, versus us trying to download the manuals, only to hear to leave the screen in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unfortunately my glass guy dinged the lip on the hatch when cutting the glass out. Now I have to get a little filler and touch up paint to fix it before gluing in the panel. :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok even with the Ripcord and correct tools I found it impossible to cut that F Ing thing out. :mad: So I taped it up covered every part of the car and smashed the window. I found this therapeutic and effective. Once that was shattered I broke away all of the glass and simply cut the rubber with a razor blade. Don't judge me :facepalm

In the end still cheaper than what the shops wanted, and they said most likely they would break the window as well.

Will install today

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Ok even with the Ripcord and correct tools I found it impossible to cut that F Ing thing out. :mad: So I taped it up covered every part of the car and smashed the window. I found this therapeutic and effective. Once that was shattered I broke away all of the glass and simply cut the rubber with a razor blade. Don't judge me :facepalm

In the end still cheaper than what the shops wanted, and they said most likely they would break the window as well.

Will install today
"If it's stupid & it works, it isn't stupid."

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I find that the shops underestimate their capability.

I wanted the glass to save for the next owner, in case he wants the car to be less awesome.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In the end for me the glass was cheaper to replace than take out.

Some business lost 200 for an hours work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The front window gutter pleaaaaaaseeeeeeee!!!!!!

They are failing and carbon would be great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
HK

We did with Chaos but his supplier fell through. We had several people ready to order.
I will work on this.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Finished the project,

So in the end I did it myself, Purchased window tools..None worked better than the Ball peen hammer. Had I started with this method It would have taken two hours total. I damaged the wiring harness trying to work around it but I was able to repair.

The Rip cord and window removal tools I bought where $75.00 I am ok with purchase as it will help me remove the louver in the future.

I am really happy with HKs work. I keep telling the wife this is it as far as upgrades but HK has a way of tempting me. I hope we can get him to make the window gutter!

I was most pleasantly surprised by how good the view is out the back.
I can see behind the car quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
although I would love the window gutter, it is a clam off job to swap. I'll watch it closely though

Now I would in fact be interested in the front access panel depending on cost.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Access Panel is 317.94GBP.

After all the shipping, molding and all whatever, the first 5 sets should be around USD700-800.

If have donation then will be around USD600.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
although I would love the window gutter, it is a clam off job to swap. I'll watch it closely though

Now I would in fact be interested in the front access panel depending on cost.
I don't think he meant the bottom window gutter, which is fairly hidden under the bodywork anyhow, but the two windshield side panels, that are so famous for cracking on early models.

I am interested in those as well, but the price is always too high for me.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts