The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a bunch of searches, and come up with nothing :shrug:

Although, I never claimed to be the best searcher, I even tried this google cheat sheet to come up with better results:
http://websearch.about.com/library/cheatsheet/blgooglecheatsheet.htm

Still nothing.

So, I was wondering if anyone has tried this? There are so many base wheels going for reasonable prices out there, it would be nice to be able to snag a set and mount some stickies to them.

I only do HPDEs, but I do a lot of them and am an instructor, so I would like a tire that will help me keep up with everyone in my group a little better.

I am choosing Hoosiers because I get a steep discount, I actually get dealer rates, so they end up being MUCH cheaper for me to run each season.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Which Hoosiers are you looking to run?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Are you just searching for sizes?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
biggest problem would fitting be 205's on the front for the R6. a 225 rear would probably be ok.

why not just buy a cheap set of cast wheels, like the rotas, and run the 15/16 setup?

are you willing to drive to the track on slicks?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm,

I would like R6. Dunno about sizes. I guess as close to Base or LSS sizes as I could get.

To be honest with you, I like the ride of the Base wheels and tires on the street, a lot actually. And I didn't mind them that much on the track either. I think the additional stick of DOT R tires will improve things substantially even in the base sizes.

I do have base wheels with AD07 tires AND a set of SSR with A048 tires. I am thinking about getting another set of base, using the SSR for street and 2 sets of base for track.

I mainly want to know if anyone has done it, and if so, their thoughts about the set-up?

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dad has a truck, so the tires are A-OK for getting to and from the track.

I would feel cumfy driving to Summit Point on them, but not VIR.

I thought I checked with my distributor and the 195s were available, I could be wrong, I will check again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Oh no ACE beat me to it :(

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you are correct with the 205s in the front.

I will call my contact in their corporate office and see if they have any thoughts for future tires for us, or recommendations for our wheels.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I do have base wheels with AD07 tires AND a set of SSR with A048 tires. I am thinking about getting another set of base, using the SSR for street and 2 sets of base for track.
Maybe you should attend Wheel-a-holics Anonymous. :eek:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
biggest problem would fitting be 205's on the front for the R6. a 225 rear would probably be ok.

why not just buy a cheap set of cast wheels, like the rotas, and run the 15/16 setup?

+1 for cheap wheels such as Rotas.

No need to buy the stock wheels IMO. They will probably cost more anyways.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You all have me sold. Maybe I will sell the stock wheels and buy Rotas for the track and use the SSRs on the street.

Although, I am betting in a few years or even months, the price of the stock wheels may go down a bit.

FYI, the reason I like 2 sets of wheels for the track is so that when one set of tires dies, I have no down time for track events due to wheels & tires (I always have a back-up set) Worked GREAT with my Miata wheels (tires for that thing were so damn cheap!)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK, Hoosier called me back just a few minutes ago.

They said that Lotus has had no issues with using the hoosier tires. He recommended for the fronts 205/45/16 and for the rear 245/40/17.

He said the 16" tire is recommended for a minimum 6.5" rim (this is the LSS size. Base is 5.5") and the 17" tire is fine for a 7.5" rim (Both LSS and Base use this size).

He said he recommends these sizes for BOTH autocross AND road racing.

He recommends hot pressures to be 35 to 36ish (I am betting that would be stock pressures to start and adjust from there).

Retail prices are $212 for the 16" and $244 for the 17"

I get a great deal on these from my rep, so I will pass on savings if you are interested.

Right now on the site we have them for $201 for the fronts and $231 for the rears. We MAY be able to beat that too. PM me if you are interested. If I can beat these prices, I will have my administrator set up a "coupon" code for Lotus Talkers to add the rest of the discount.

The web site is:
www.trackitup.com

ALL sizes are discounted.

Dave

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
OK, Hoosier called me back just a few minutes ago.

They said that Lotus has had no issues with using the hoosier tires. He recommended for the fronts 205/45/16 and for the rear 245/40/17.

He said the 16" tire is recommended for a minimum 6.5" rim and the 17" tire is fine for a 7.5" rim.

He said he recommends these sizes for BOTH autocross AND road racing.

He recommends hot pressures to be 35 to 36ish (I am betting that would be stock pressures to start and adjust from there).

Retail prices are $212 for the 16" and $244 for the 17"

I get a great deal on these from my rep, so I will pass on savings if you are interested.

Right now on the site we have them for $201 for the fronts and $231 for the rears. We MAY be able to beat that too. PM me if you are interested. If I can beat these prices, I will have my administrator set up a "coupon" code for Lotus Talkers to add the rest of the discount.

The web site is:
www.trackitup.com

ALL sizes are discounted.

Dave
good deal. :up:

just to clarify... the width for the front base wheel is 5.5," that's one full inch narrower than the minimum from the mfg.

also, you may want to dig around (if you haven't already) and read the numerous threads about the debate about using slicks on a car not equipped with a toe link brace. probably search on some combination of slick* toe* link* brace* bar*

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, about the BASE wheels, This is the way I understand it as well, and that is why I posted the numbers (LSS sizes) instead of the names. I realize this can be confusing, so I will edit to make it more clear.

I spoke with BWR a while back and they said it shouldn't be a problem without the brace, they said the major issue was "hitting the curbs hard". I think I have spoken with a handfull of others that said they don't have the brace and have used Hoosiers and were fine.

I assure you though, My plan is to get the brace at some point. I miss the ease of the Miatas. With Spec Miata you could buy an entire suspension kit, discounted, through Mazda Comp. Maybe I will buy the track pack kit from lotus... maybe not.

Still on the fence for what to do with suspension.

Thanks again!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Umm.. 500 bucks for an RTD brace is small change compared to what could happen with sticky tires and no RTD brace.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
IF you are looking for base wheels I have a set I am going to sell for $550
I also have a used sets of Kuhmo's, Yokohama 0005 SLICKS and Hoosier Dot R tires for sale CHEAP.
I plan to start running Yokohama's in the Lotus Challenge Series so I can qualify for the FREE SET Contingency sponsorship.

pm me if interested.

Robb

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
robb373,
Thanks. I have decided against a second set of base wheels for DOT R tires, so I don't need another set. Although, if Hoosier starts making a tire for these wheels, I will reconsider. Until then, I will be going with my SSR wheels for the track and the base wheels for the street.

Kestrel74,
Agree about the brace and the price, etc. But as with everything on this car, even the brace is yet another compromise in one way or another.
The pros at Blackwatch said to me it is not as big a deal as people make it out to be. I try to listen to what the pros are saying over the forums. Lots of people over react to lots of things in forums, so you need to take everything with a grain of salt. Also, lots of people on forums, especially this one, don't have the car or any experience with the car and are participating in the "Discussions" based on hearsay.

My decision on the order of these things is tires then brace.

Again, I agree about the brace helping prevent damage, but maintaining your car and keeping an eye on these things will also help prevent issues... or so I am told... So as I am planning on getting it eventually, I am told it is not mandatory, so it is not #1 on my list at this time... But hey, I don't even have DOT R tires yet, so it doesn't really matter right now anyway.

Now back to tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts