The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am actively looking for an Elise and came across one in my area. It was great except a couple of areas. The car may have been hit from behind and there is a crack within the trunk, you cannot see it from the exterior. There is also a fracture in the door not visible from the outside. Has anyone seen these types of damage before, and the estimated cost to repair them? Do you think there is a risk of the cracks getting worse? Thanks in advance for the help!
20200220_174652.jpg
20200220_171320.jpg

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Is it a salvage title?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Nope, it's a clean title with one owner
Nothing clean about that. If that's the damage that is easily seen there's likely more. I'd pass.

San

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
That is rear damage, car was hit from the rear, or driver hit something while in reverse.
I have only seen that type of door damage in a car that was in an accident.
The body damage is not a deal breaker, the chasis, crash box and suspension points will need a detailed inspection

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi all, I am actively looking for an Elise and came across one in my area. It was great except a couple of areas. The car may have been hit from behind and there is a crack within the trunk, you cannot see it from the exterior. There is also a fracture in the door not visible from the outside. Has anyone seen these types of damage before, and the estimated cost to repair them? Do you think there is a risk of the cracks getting worse? Thanks in advance for the help!
I had a tiny crack in my rear clam that looks similar in depth to what you posted. Full repair costs were $7,000. The results were good as new condition. I would guess that a repair that did not involve painting would be significantly less.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
SO it was tapped from the back, if more than a tap it would have been in pieces.

The door bit is odd. Not a stressed part of the door, I think, and not the first thing that would hit

Perhaps delaminating between inner and outer door skins

Its all about the money. If asking top dollar, maybe not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts