The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awards for Lotus DVD
19 May 2004

http://business.edp24.co.uk/story.a...=homepage&itemid=NOED17 May 2004 17:44:16:800

A worldwide marketing DVD produced in Norfolk to promote the new model Lotus Elise has won a major award.

Norwich-based EV Production's "Lotus: Change the Rules" combines sports car action footage, some of it acquired using the production company's trade-mark mini-cams, with archive footage and computer graphics, to convey the speed and excitement of the Lotus experience.

It won the top corporate production award for 2004 from the national Institute of Videography

"The Lotus project was a real challenge," said director Mark Wells. "They had complicated messages to deliver to a range of different audiences across the world, both about the company and about the product. We had to shoot attractive, action footage of their latest cars and use it in a package which included archive material from every source under the sun – from 16-millimetre film to U-matic tape."

He added: "We needed to evolve a style which allowed it all to go together with a coherent look and feel. With our motor-sport experience, journalism and broadcast production skills, we are one of the few companies in the country that could have taken it on."

The end product was a segmented DVD with a number of versioned and additional sequences, some with English language voice-over and graphics, and some without.

Alastair Florance, group PR manager for Group Lotus, was delighted with the award – and the DVD. "It's fantastic to win the award," he said. "We wanted something really special to promote the latest Elise – the best Elise yet – and this production, describing the car and putting it in the context of Lotus' history, certainly did the job."

Mr Wells, who is managing director of EV Productions in Rose Lane, Norwich, and fellow director Jonathan Thursby received the award at a gala dinner held at Stoneleigh Park, near Coventry, which was part of the Institute of Videography's 2004 two-day annual convention.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI All,
The DVD is not available and Lotus doesn't know whether they'll be offering, it.

Here's response I got from Alastair

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Chris

Thanks for the note. We are not planning yet to distribute the DVD as a
sales or marketing item but we have not ruled it out yet.

If we do, we of course will let you know!

Hope you are well and speak soon

Group Lotus PLC
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
357 Posts
that's disappointing...

What the f' is up with Lotus.

They have a great car that they can't seem to get delivered to the US.

They have a great DVD that they can't seem to figure out if their customers want it?!

Many things require no thought whatsoever... These are the things you expect Lotus to just do.

With the cars, I can try to make up some excuse for them. If they bring to many to the US it could hurt sales as opposed to drive sales [it's a stretch, I'm aware]. If they bring faulty or significantlky flawed machinery to the US, it could do more harm than good. If we all had cars to drive, we'd be out driving them instead of talking about them on this forum.

Whereas the DVD costs almost nothing to create. Almost nothing to distribute. Hell, I'd pay $20+ for such a thing without even thinking about it... Some Elise footage is better than nothing? Right?

Maybe it's just me... Maybe having been someone who's allowed to make business decisions for a corporpation has put something in my brain that's similar to some form of cancer?

Lotus, if you're listening... Think like you're a customer. Ask yourself - what do I want as a customer. Then deliver!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What a strange thing, to be pleading with a manufacturer to release their own already funded promotional video, to a field of already interested consumers.

I've not ever taken a marketing course, but this seems a no brainer. :confused:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Every car company has a marketing division. The marketing division has the responsibility of deciding when to release something like this DVD.
Guys like us are a done deal, we want the car even before we can go down to the dealer and see or drive one. We make our decision based on accumulated knowledge. We also know exactly what car will make us happy unlike the average consumer. Lotus will use the DVD to entice fence riders to make the trip down to the dealer to see and test drive the car. Their way of thinking is "release the DVD probably in a commercial once the dealers have product to show and sell.
Hell, I'll make a video of my own at Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill!!!
"Have patience grasshopper"
P.S. I am surrounded by new Porsches all day and I can only think of my Laser Blue LSS Baby Elise!! I am willing to wait for the first production pure sports car in the US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts