The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership has suggested that we trailer the car home instead of driving it.

Has anyone trailered theirs yet? When I say trailer I mean standard flat trailer. Does the car need "help" getting up on regular ramps, as in, its too low?

Suggestions? Ideas?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yea, I'll be interested in that too. Since it now appears I'll be trailering mine home as well. I won't be getting it before winter sets in here, and by the time I'm able to bring it home I'll want to pick up a lift and other garage stuff as well.

·
Lotus Sales
629 Posts
Wood boards!!!!

We use wood boards to load our race cars onto our two car trailer if the clearance gets close. I don't think that would be needed for a standard Elise. Our race cars are lowered. You want to place the tie downs through the wheels and NOT the suspension!!!! If it is strapped down too tight onto a suspension part, you could bend it and screw up the alignment. Use the wheels and pads or towels so as not to scratch them. Remember, it's only 1,985 pounds you are strapping down.............Good luck...........

·
Registered
971 Posts
Wood boards are a good idea to reduce the angle up to the trailer. I was planning on padded nylon straps through the wheels to hold it down. Still considering various ways to cover the car since I will probably have it on an open trailer. My dad wants a flatbed gooseneck, so I'll probably pick that up when I'm down in the States getting my car, lift, and whatever else I for which I don't want to pay shipping to Alaska.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I would suggest the straps that go over and around the tires rather than straps through the wheels. even if wrapped and padded, the straps through the wheels are liable to cause damage to the finish. The wheels tie downs are contacting the rubber of the tire instead of the metal of the wheel...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Probably the constant rpms in higher gears on the highway which would be a bad way to break it in.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've used wheel straps (through the wheel) on my Exige for 2.5 years with no problems. You just need to get the ones with a padded sleave for the wheel. Or you could always use a towel, etc.

I would be shocked if you can get the Elise on a trailer without modifing the ramps. The short front overhang is what gets you.

·
Registered
643 Posts
_JD_ said:
Probably the constant rpms in higher gears on the highway which would be a bad way to break it in.
Heh...I'm already starting to plan the route I'll take when I drive the Elise home: Roswell Road to Pitt to Spalding to Peachtree Industrial...maybe with a quick detour to the tail of the dragon... :D

Jim

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jtanner said:
What was the dealership's rationale for trailering it home?

Jim
I'm not sure. I think they may have felt that a 7 hour interstate haul may not be the best way to break it in. My husband spoke to Chris about it.

I dont mind driving it home, in fact thats what we had planned on doing. But then Chris mentioned it may be a good idea to trailer it. We started considering options and the fact that on our 7 hour drive home we're going to put enough miles on it that when we got home we'd almost have to turn right back around and drive it back to GA for our first service.
We figured by trailering it we'd have more time to mess around with it here at home and have some fun with it on familiar roads at our leisure rather than trying to break it in on a 7 hour interstate ride home and then having to hold off on driving it once home so that we didnt put over 1500 miles on it before driving back down for our first service.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
If it was me, I would drive it. The concern about the steady rpms is not that big of a deal. You can shift enough and take back roads and get on and off the freeways to vary the rpms.

This is what I would do.

Friday noon, fly into Atlanta. Pick up car in the afternoon. I recommend the James A cab service. :) Leave Atlanta for Deals Gap and stay in the lodge up there Friday night.

Saturday, drive Tail of the Dragon about 10 times. :) Leave via Cherohala Skyway into Tennessee down to Lynchburg. Stay Saturday night in Lynchburg.

Sunday leave Lynchburg and head back to Atlanta. Take a few back roads. Stay in Atlanta overnight and have reserved your service Monday morning.

In 3 days it's all done and you head home.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I'm not sure. I think they may have felt that a 7 hour interstate haul may not be the best way to break it in. My husband spoke to Chris about it.

I dont mind driving it home, in fact thats what we had planned on doing. But then Chris mentioned it may be a good idea to trailer it. We started considering options and the fact that on our 7 hour drive home we're going to put enough miles on it that when we got home we'd almost have to turn right back around and drive it back to GA for our first service.
We figured by trailering it we'd have more time to mess around with it here at home and have some fun with it on familiar roads at our leisure rather than trying to break it in on a 7 hour interstate ride home and then having to hold off on driving it once home so that we didnt put over 1500 miles on it before driving back down for our first service.
One Fast,

Your idea doesn't sound like a bad one especially if you have to turn around when you get home and go back to service it. If you already have a trailer which it sounds like you do, than you might as well make use of it and just trailer your new baby home. You can always play with your new toy once you get home;)

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jenn,
You can also take the marta train from the airport to sandy springs station, for buck and half. Cab to LOA from the station is $6.

Since I couldn't get anyone to drive me up from Columbus, I took the shuttle bus from columbus to ATL airport, then train, then cab.

As to route I did email Jenn the route we used last year at the ducati club rally in Hiawassee which is about hour north of ATL. It's a long route and basically 8 or so solid hours of driving riding, takes you right up to the gap and loops back to Hiawassee.

Definately if Jenn has the time to put the miles on and have the service done before heading home, then your free and clear until 7500 miles.

Chris

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Randy, did you make it to lynchburg?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
another problem we're having is that we werent expecting the car to be here at all therefore we werent able to plan anything.

My husbands job makes it hard /impossible to just leave with short notice. I wanted to stay for a few days and drive with Chris etc...but that would require at least two weeks notice for my husband. We had hoped to have some notice so we could plan all this...not that Im complaining! I'll take it any way I can get it!! It just means we're going to have to make the pick up short and sweet unless by some miracle he can get some time off.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
LotusLust said:
Randy, did you make it to lynchburg?
Nope. After Fayetteville? lol

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ok so you've got to tell me what happened!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
meat said:
I've used wheel straps (through the wheel) on my Exige for 2.5 years with no problems. You just need to get the ones with a padded sleeve for the wheel. Or you could always use a towel, etc.

I'd still prefer this type of tie down strap. to protect the metal and secure the car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
LotusLust said:
ok so you've got to tell me what happened!
On the plus side, it did not involve banjo music.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts