The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for the job, but just for the sake of traveling and the fun of it.

I am thinking of doing it while I am still young. Meet new friends, see new places, live at different cities around the world, etc, but just wondering other people experience about it. :)

Money is not an issue, just job as when I come back, I will be jobless. :( Will go by myself, btw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My only advice is take a buddy...also in a year you can either go to a few places and really experience them, or try and hit a lot of places but end up feeling/being more like a tourist. My feeling is that the former is more rewarding.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
My friends backpacked the world for an entire year and they hit every continent including Antarctica. They stayed at hostels,cheap hotels, and camped out on occasion. They spent about 30K/each. They purchased a "world ticket" for around $4k from a travel agent.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My spousal unit and I took off a year and travelled around North America surfing and rockclimbing. The best decision we ever made.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The girl I took over for got her bonus and took off for a year. She was going to China, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Malaysia, etc. Oh and I should add that she's 27, weighs about 100lbs, and is biking the entire thing... alone.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, I should have gone with her. :)

My reason being for going alone is
1. it's more fun as I have my own schedule, make new friends, etc
2. can't find someone who wants to go with me for up to a whole year

thinking of going from europe starting in British area, and going east and hit australia and new zealand before hitting home. May skip middle east due to war and go straight to India. Will go rockclimbing, scuba diving, snowboarding, etc among others.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
One method of traveling alone but not really alone is to volunteer as crew on sailboats cruising the world. You'll get a free ride to the next island, spend however long you want there, then find a boat heading to your next desired port of call.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've been lucky to travel a lot, but never for that long. Do it while you can, particularly if you haven't before. Take a friend if possible, will likely be more fun.

As for skipping the Middle East, it's not all bad my friend. I just spent two weeks in Syria in the fall and it was awesome. If you're a fan of history (and I am), then it's a great place to go, we saw a few other American tourists, but tons of Danish, Germans, French and Italians.

We went with an international group, while I was born there I grew up here and it was all new to me. Simply amazing.

Here are some pics if it helps demystify it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23576&id=505722929

These were just two things we went to, we also went to a range of ruins, castles, ancient synagogues, churches, and mosques, museums and more.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Nawambo

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just came back from a one year RTW trip a month ago.
It was definitely the best time I ever had (until I buy my Exige of course rotfl).
If you are interested, I kept a blog of it, including all the preparation we went through.
I think traveling alone is not for everybody (I might not have lasted a whole year if I had traveled alone) as I guess it can get lonely at times, but you are more likely to meet new people this way.
We took our time while traveling and didn't want to do as many countries as possible as one of our purposes was to lose track of time and just take it slow, getting to know the places we were at rather than passing through the touristic spots.
I can suggest Airtreks for your plane tickets if you cannot find a RTW ticket that fits your needs.
But most of the info is on the blog if you need any...
You'll have a blast for sure !

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I went sailing on a schooner in the Caribbean for 3 weeks about 5 years ago and it was amazing. I saw about a dozen islands in the Eastern Caribbean and for the first time in my life was far enough away from land to not see any in any direction. There's something so calming about being "off the grid"... it's intoxicating. I want to accumulate enough self-sustaining income (rental properties, etc.) to be able to move to a tiny island and just live.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have not done traveling for a whole year but did 3 separate stints of about 4 months each. 2 of the 3 stints were done alone which is my preferred mode.

Traveling alone forces you to interact more with the locals. Travelling with a companion provides less such opportunities.

I only fly between continents or when land transportation is not possible. Otherwise, trains, buses and hitch-hiking are more fun. You get to see more on land than up there.

I also made it a point to try to find a job, not so much for the money, but to truly immerse with the life and culture of the locals. Restaurants and fast-food are the best and easiest to come by - 2 weeks here, another week there, etc.

Make sure you're reasonably healthy and fit because nothing sucks more than out and sick in a foreign land. Start keeping fit now if you haven't already done so.

Take a camera - a must have.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also made it a point to try to find a job, not so much for the money, but to truly immerse with the life and culture of the locals. Restaurants and fast-food are the best and easiest to come by - 2 weeks here, another week there, etc.
This is exactly what I am planning to do as traveling alone to meet more locals is better if find a job. Most likely before I go, I m going to go take bartending class as I would rather work at night enjoying local nightlife while during the day, I can do diving, snorkeling, climbing, whatever.

One question though is work permit. Did you work 'undertable'?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
One method of traveling alone but not really alone is to volunteer as crew on sailboats cruising the world. You'll get a free ride to the next island, spend however long you want there, then find a boat heading to your next desired port of call.
Argggh, matey, ye sound like a pirate! :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is exactly what I am planning to do as traveling alone to meet more locals is better if find a job. Most likely before I go, I m going to go take bartending class as I would rather work at night enjoying local nightlife while during the day, I can do diving, snorkeling, climbing, whatever.

One question though is work permit. Did you work 'undertable'?
Yes, they were all 'undertable'. And since you aren't earning that much, I don't think it matters(to the authority). It's much easier with restaurants because most uses part-timer anyway (students, hourly's). Plus you get to try the local foods. Bartending sounds more interesting - never thought of that. Almost all such jobs I undertook were table-waiting, bus-boy and occasional 'cook' - salad and desserts - easy stuff. Most memorable city was Amsterdam ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've never traveled for a year. If I had the money it would be top of my list of things to do. Although I have worked for a few years in various countries and I try to go on vacation to travel around for a month each year. So far I'm up to about 240 destinations in about 40 countries. I'm off to the Middle East next month so I should get to add a few more :)

Traveling by yourself can get a bit lonely sometimes, but the advantage is that it seems easier to meet the locals and it also lets you go anywhere you want to go whenever you want to. There's probably a lot of preparation to do if you go for a whole year, but when I used to travel by myself for a month, I would pretty much just have a plane ticket, passport, credit card, ATM card and some clothes.

Let me know if you have any particular questions.

·
Registered
518 Posts
lol, I should have gone with her. :)

My reason being for going alone is
1. it's more fun as I have my own schedule, make new friends, etc
2. can't find someone who wants to go with me for up to a whole year

thinking of going from europe starting in British area, and going east and hit australia and new zealand before hitting home. May skip middle east due to war and go straight to India. Will go rockclimbing, scuba diving, snowboarding, etc among others.
Your're letting out Southern America???

Oh yes if ou go east from Europe, think about going by train. The Trans siberian/mingolian express is a great trip.

·
Registered
518 Posts
There's probably a lot of preparation to do if you go for a whole year, but when I used to travel by myself for a month, I would pretty much just have a plane ticket, passport, credit card, ATM card and some clothes.
You learn to travel light........ which also comes in very handy when going on holiday's with your Lotus.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
http://www.semesteratsea.org/

Co-worker did that in college. Literally went around the world. Said it was the best thing he ever did. There are other cruise ships that do it. Typically runs 125 days and will set you back about 50gs.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nico, where are you in Netherlands? I have a friend in Armsterdam, might stop by there.

I don't leave out South America. I am saving it for my trip in 2014, lol, Brazil World Cup. I am saving Africa for 2010 World Cup. I went to Germany for 2006 World Cup and so much fun. So World Cup is part of my plan. Planning to go to Euro 08, but didn't win any lottery tickets. :(

http://www.semesteratsea.org/

Co-worker did that in college. Literally went around the world. Said it was the best thing he ever did. There are other cruise ships that do it. Typically runs 125 days and will set you back about 50gs.
That's what everyone who I talked to said. The best life experience ever. That's why I am planning to do it. I don't do cruise ship though. Motion sickness and the fact I am confined in a limited space for few days/months scares me (different than plane as plane is only few hours or a day top. That I can stand)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts