The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fixing to be pulling the rear clam off for some transmission work and thought I would look into a new muffler. 4 cylinders are tough to make sound just right so figured it would be smart to ask forum members to see what's been tried before. For now I'm keeping the cat on, but that might change in the future. I've got a good exhaust shop that will bend whatever it takes to make it work and exit out oem location. I'm a fan of a deeper tone, but trying to avoid the dreaded drone. 05 Elise NA.... for now.
Water Cylinder Gas Font Tints and shades

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
250 Posts
I have tried about 6 different combinations. For a normally aspirated that will be raspy and drone. If you're turbocharged it may be ok ish. The 2ZZ needs a resonator upstream of the muffler. Even if it's just a catalyst.

My current turbo setup is still quite loud at certain frequencies. I can tell you there are a few horses to be had and certainly weight savings changing out the OE muffler. But, you're going to need more than a straight through perforated tube to cut the drone and give a nice deep rich sound.

For example my Spyder 2zz 3" setup.
Product Automotive exhaust Gas Nickel Cylinder

Reactions: Lckitty

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've tried multiple setups as well on my Exige. Elise isn't that different save the SC so sounds should be similar.
Larini makes a ton of exhausts - I think they mostly avoid drone.
BOE has the so-called Silent Touch which is far from silent. They have a version that is supposedly quieter (for Laguna Seca for track people) but mine is the mid-range one which is plenty loud.

I have had 2 Larinis - there is one that has a valve that you can control with a bluetooth controller so you open it up when you want it loud. I put that on my car and for some reason it was always in the closed mode - until I blew it open on track. Probably because I was trying to save money and bought it used - I guess you get what you pay for. Closed it was quiet relatively speaking - still throaty but open was way too loud.

Loud != Drone by the way. When I say loud, I mean it is annoying but not necessarily at a resonate frequency (which is what drone is). Mostly my concern is loud on the highway - if you have to drive long distances it can be quite bothersome.

I now also have the Larini Group B - https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/lotus/elise-sc/larini-groupb-exhaust-assembly-oval-tip - this one is what I had started with and it developed a baffle blow by (all the inner packing just went out!). Larini, to their credit, guarantees their mufflers so I sent back (to UK oddly enough) and they finally sent me it back. I am considering putting it back on as I think the BOE system is too loud for me.

Larini Group N is the one with the valve controller: https://www.larinisystems.com/colle...-groupn-exhaust-assembly-+-activalve-oval-tip

BOE BOE Featherweight Exhaust – BOE Fabrication (3 variants - ST-5 is the quietest - I've not tried that one, I have the ST)

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Loud != Drone by the way. When I say loud, I mean it is annoying but not necessarily at a resonate frequency (which is what drone is). Mostly my concern is loud on the highway - if you have to drive long distances it can be quite bothersome.
This! Most people use "drone" in the colloquial sense like "it drones on and on". Our cars really don't seem to truly drone since the cabin is so small, so the resonant frequency of the cabin is much higher than in a larger car. I've run some pretty small exhausts, and the high gearing means it certainly can get grating on the highway. So much so, I forgive people who would call that "drone".

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
67, I currently have a magnaflow that seems similar in dimensions to that one. At low throttle, it isn't bad, but it absolutely screams on the second cam. But for $75 or whatever I paid and under ten pounds, I love it. I do need to just get some good motorcycle earplugs though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
67, I currently have a magnaflow that seems similar in dimensions to that one. At low throttle, it isn't bad, but it absolutely screams on the second cam. But for $75 or whatever I paid and under ten pounds, I love it. I do need to just get some good motorcycle earplugs though.
Are you still running with the Cat?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Light Product Font Line Screenshot

I'm running this muffler with no cat and it sounds great and shoots big fireballs however it is loud while cruising esepecially if you have the windows up. Windows down and roof off its not bad at all.

Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
'10 Exige S260 Sport
698 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Followup to my previous post, melted the innards of that muffler at VIR so probably not the optimal choice for track duty.
Food Plant Kona coffee Cocoa bean Single-origin coffee

Automotive exterior Auto part Pattern Metal Grille

·
Administrator
11,082 Posts

·
Administrator
11,082 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts