The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I saw an ad for this in Autoweek, and after two quick searches here, was surprised that (as far as I can tell) noone has mentioned this paint chip repair product yet.

Like most of us, I got a few small things I'd like to deal with and the WSJ review sounded pretty convincing. Experiences anyone?

If not I may order online tomorrow...I think u just need to provide color code (AS is B92Y or something?) and try out on a hard to see spot.

Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair tips and FAQ's about our kits.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd be interested for feedback too. About a year ago they were featured in the Wall Street Journal and were ranked as the best of the stone chip treatments out there. From memory the only question mark was the longevity

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wonder how this would look with lifestyle paint.

·
Registered
442 Posts
hey all,

I saw an ad for this in Autoweek, and after two quick searches here, was surprised that (as far as I can tell) noone has mentioned this paint chip repair product yet.

Like most of us, I got a few small things I'd like to deal with and the WSJ review sounded pretty convincing. Experiences anyone?

If not I may order online tomorrow...I think u just need to provide color code (AS is B92Y or something?) and try out on a hard to see spot.

Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair tips and FAQ's about our kits.
I have. Extensively (I'm one of the referenced reviews on the Colorchip web page---have no interest or association with them). Used it on two Porsches --black and Seal grey metallic. The process is very simple and the results are exceptional. I was hesitant on the metallic, but it work exactly as billed. All the small chips literally disappeared. The larger ones and serious rock divets
improved a lot, but you could still find them if you looked.

OTOH, I was using the DR colorchip because I was too stupid to have a clear bra put on the Porsche when it was new....that would have saved a lot of trouble. Also, I tried the OEM Porsche paint chip repair kit (2 part) and some other crap one part paint repair ---the key to the Colorchip is the 'remover'---it takes off all the excess and leaves the filled chip.

john m /ML1 media

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
john,

thanks! i'll order based on your comments alone.

Question: I understand it's primarily for chips, but I have a crack/scratch from a black walnut that nailed the car from a tree. I tried a liquid scratch remover which did absolutely nothing. Will Dr Colorchip help? Is there a reason I shouldnt use on this scratch/crack?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
john,

thanks! i'll order based on your comments alone.

Question: I understand it's primarily for chips, but I have a crack/scratch from a black walnut that nailed the car from a tree. I tried a liquid scratch remover which did absolutely nothing. Will Dr Colorchip help? Is there a reason I shouldnt use on this scratch/crack?

Thanks!!
Scratches: ABSOLUTELY. I went a little nuts with the kit and started touching up the multitudes of scratches on the in/under side of the trunk of the Boxster. Worked except well.
Cracks---cracked paint may be a diff matter---it depends on what is underneath---thi is is the material/metal that is under the cracked paint solid?
If so, it will improve it--I can't say it will make it invisible--it depends on the individual situation...but I personally would go ahead and try it ---use two or three light coats to 'build up' the paint.

-Also, forgot to mention a KEY point: clean any surface before repair--I'm sure the instruct tell you to do so, but clean it well--and use a good soap (dishwashing liquid, for instance) that will remove wax residue before you start any touchups. Inside/away from dust should be a 'given' as well. The trouble is, direct sunlight is the best way to spot the chips---indoor lighting makes them harder to spot for some reason (at least on the Seal Grey ---the black chip usually came to life because of the light grey/white primer underneath).

Use a clean microfiber towel for the excess removal step.

Rgrds,
john m/ ML1

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried it on a Seal Gray Boxster that had 4-5 light scratches from a shingle that fell on it during a storm, and slid down the trunk lid. Didnt work worth a damn for anything in my opinion. Just created a clean up mess. Definitely will not fill a scratch or gouge. I suppose might work on real light rock chip "rash", if you are a very precise patient type. But it definitely isnt a no-brainer wipe and go product like they claim, at least not for me, although I am ham-handed i admit.

All the guys i talked to, the bumper scratch guys, door ding guys etc, told me "if you can feel the scratch going across it with a fingernail" there's no way to fix it without "regular" body work paint of that section--no shortcut, except the old touch up brush. Some people are precise enough to work a touch up spot with sandpaper on the end of a pencil eraser, etc to smooth it then rub it so it is almost perfect but again you have to be that precise type to do it without just making the spot worse..

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, then Snuggles, based on this ^^ we need an update after you use yours.
OK, here's what I learned:

1) The product DEFINITELY works on chips. No question about it.

2) It is far less effective on scratches... you can try to play around with it but I've had little success. I think other posters will agree!

3) There's definitely a little learning curve. So go slowly, do a small chip and take your time.

4) Finally, I've found that one application is not enough. I do a chip once and let it cure. Then go back a day or two later and do it again. It takes time but it looks perfect. I should have taken some before and after photos but I will say it works as advertised on chips especially if you do #3 and #4.

Finally, its hard to argue with the price. For $30, it's kind of a no-brainer to order it and have it on hand.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
For $30, it's kind of a no-brainer to order it and have it on hand.
Isn't it like $48 with the shipping for their cheapest kit? If you tighten the cap after use, will it still be good after a year or so? Most paint pen or touch ups will be all dried up after the first use. Thanks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually u're right - sorry. It was $39 + s/h. No idea about the drying up. We're still not talking about a lot of money are we?

·
Registered
774 Posts
How is this on a flexible-surface area chip? Anyone know? I had someone do one of those "park by feel" jobs to my otherwise pristing Jag last fall, and the rear bumper cover as a result, has several small (similar to) chip spots now in it. Would this product for me and for that, also do the trick?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts