The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it works or if there would be any issues using it with the elise.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I doubt if they would work on an Elise without an adapter for the cigarette lighter. The lighter is British; it's diameter is larger than the American cigarette lighter. There is an adapter, but I could never get it to work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
even if it did fit, it is not really a 'jump-start' system. most cigarette sockets are limited to 15A, and your starter motor pulls ~100A. You are essentially charging the battery with the other cars' alternator over a period of ~15-20 mins (a jump-start system would be instantaneous after connecting the cables)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Use the search function, it's been talked about before and yes it does work

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I doubt if they would work on an Elise without an adapter for the cigarette lighter. The lighter is British; it's diameter is larger than the American cigarette lighter. There is an adapter, but I could never get it to work.
You are encouraged to replace that lighter socket with the American replacement - sold at Radio Shack. They fit perfect. Not a hard mod at all. :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Lighter socket and chargers

The lighter draws 15A to 20A for a short time to heat up.

Therefore, the wiring and the fuse will support 15 to 20A. At 20A the fuse will blow.

'Jump start' means many things....

If your battery is flat dead and you try to start with the lighter, it will try to draw 100A+. The fuse will burn out and the wires will get hot.... and your car will not start! :)

If the battery just needs an extra little boost... or you plug in the booster into the lighter for a few minutes to charge your battery at 10A, or so... Then when you crank the motor, the starter will draw 90 to 100A from the battery because it is close and has a direct 6 gauge wire to it and another 10A to 15A from the booster through the lighter, all is good. The car willstart and the booster did its job.

Lighter socket is a good simple way to provide a 20A boost. If whatever battery is in the booster can do that and that is all that your car needs, it is a great tool!

Anton

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
1. Replace adapter with Radio Shack model. $5 and 10 minutes

2. Get a battery minder plus. Make sure to order the 12v adapter. I keep it on my car all winter and when I travel

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ha, when it ead this it reminded me of when my mother in law(Peruvian) bought my father in law a car charger because his battery died the week before. When he opened it she said see, now you won't be stranded you can use your cell phone to charge your car!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
^^^rotflThanks for making my day!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
that's funny.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
it's the one mounted in a bracket - sold as a 12vdc accessory outlet, you just remove it from the bracket and install it in the car.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I have a battery cutoff but the elise is not on a tender (even though i have one). The car is stored iin a garage for the winter. I also have a portable battery jump starter but its a pain to lug around. I'm just worried what awaits for me after winter and i'm worried about plugging in a tender unattended.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have a Duracell branded model purchased from amazon. its basically useless - I ended up buying a 500 amp black and decker jumpstarter from home depot. I tried the 350 amp, it wasn't enough to start the car. Even the 500 isn't enough to plug-and-start immediately if the battery is severely depleted.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I have a Duracell branded model purchased from amazon. its basically useless - I ended up buying a 500 amp black and decker jumpstarter from home depot. I tried the 350 amp, it wasn't enough to start the car. Even the 500 isn't enough to plug-and-start immediately if the battery is severely depleted.
Most are useless because they do not have sufficient starting amps.
Michael

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I paid a visit to my elise today...she started right up no problems and no jump needed!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Most are useless because they do not have sufficient starting amps.
Michael
I thought I'd mention the models that work/don't work in order to help others from wasting time trying things that don't work.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Get a battery tender or a set of jumper cables.

Do you really think the fuse or receptacle is going to handle what jumper cables do?

Cable.......Wire........Hmmmmmmmm. Do the math.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I thought I'd mention the models that work/don't work in order to help others from wasting time trying things that don't work.
thanks for that - 1 is in my future.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have a few friends who's had some luck with lithium-polymer(?) based starters.
They're about the size of a thick chocolate bar, and are able to deliver ridiculous amount of amps for a short burst. It can also be used as a portable battery backup for phone, etc.
Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start XP-3 : Amazon.com : Automotive

1 - 20 of 23 Posts