The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
why dont you take out a loan at 4% and invest your 25K in mutual funds (earning 8-10% because the economy is recovering) and you come out ahead a couple points.

I've never understood paying cash for a depreciating asset. It's just not good use of your money.

Sure there is a risk that the market will crash, but if you take out a 6 year loan it's a safe bet that the market will be up over the same 6 year period.

Also, Capital One Finance is probably the cheapest, but if you go to Costco's website you can get a better rate - and it's really Capital One. Costco members get a discount on the Capital One financing!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
For what it's worth, you might want to check your Credit Union (if you have one). Our Credit Union is currently offering 3.99% financing for up to 60 months (last time we bought a car, we took a 36 month loan for a lesser rate that the "regular"), and they reduce it to 3.75% if we apply "on-line"...

We are also going to pay off about half and finance the rest...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
smura said:

Also, Capital One Finance is probably the cheapest, but if you go to Costco's website you can get a better rate - and it's really Capital One. Costco members get a discount on the Capital One financing!
Costco's rate through Capital One is currently listed at 4.14% for 37-60 months, but if you are an executive member the rate is .10 less......good deal....

Capital One quotes 4.39% on their web site.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Capital One and Costco are the same. You just get a discount for being a Costco member. It costs $50 to be a member, well worth the rate difference.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I originally looked at leasing and many companies won't even look at it once they see the name Lotus. I think many companies took a short term bath on the M100 Elans and frankly, the Esprit is no wonder kid when it comes to residuals.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
rates continue to go up...

costco (cap one) 4.24% for 37-60 months (.1 less if executive member)

capital one directly - 4.49%

Being optimistic about my delivery date, I just applied through costco at the 4.14% exec member rate....

now hurry up with my car:D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Since this thread has come up again.

I received a 3.9% loan amoratized at a 10 year term for the first 48 months. At 40k, this puts my minimum payment at $400 a month. :bow:

Of course, I will pay an extra $200 a month towards the principal.

But if I need to skimp.... I can.

After 48 months, the loan will adjust.

This loan is with NAPUS FCU. Now, I just need a damn car to purchase before they expire my approved status.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
ivan1 said:
rates continue to go up...

costco (cap one) 4.24% for 37-60 months (.1 less if executive member)

capital one directly - 4.49%

Being optimistic about my delivery date, I just applied through costco at the 4.14% exec member rate....

now hurry up with my car:D
Would the extra 50 bucks up from the business membership be worth it for the lower rate?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Would the extra 50 bucks up from the business membership be worth it for the lower rate?
For $100 you get an executive membership. They give you a 2% cash back for your purchases with the executive membership so it can pay for itself if you spend a bit...or need a spouse card, buy stuff for resale, or use the other business services.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
the 0.1 lower rate makes little difference, depending on how much you finance and for how long - for 30k finance 60 months, I believe it is about $80 less in total you pay with the lower rate over 5 yrs. But as Randy said if you shop a lot at Costco, the 2% cash back is nice

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Genjuro said:
Since this thread has come up again.

I received a 3.9% loan amoratized at a 10 year term for the first 48 months. At 40k, this puts my minimum payment at $400 a month. :bow:

Of course, I will pay an extra $200 a month towards the principal.

But if I need to skimp.... I can.

After 48 months, the loan will adjust.

This loan is with NAPUS FCU. Now, I just need a damn car to purchase before they expire my approved status.
now THAT is an interesting idea.... excuse my ignorance, but what is NAPUS FCU??

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
ace3 said:
now THAT is an interesting idea.... excuse my ignorance, but what is NAPUS FCU??
Postal service federal credit union.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts