The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean just dealer demos. My question is, have all the dealers taken delivery of at least one Elise, customer car or demo? I'm trying to get an idea of how far along we are in the first deliveries.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Like you, my Elise is lost in shipping. The dealer was told it shipped from the distribution center last Friday. But then, this week, they were told "never mind" -- it hadn't really shipped. So has it shipped at this point? Can't say. :(

Your sig line is right. I'm amazed that I can ship a package by UPS or FedEx, and be able to get online and track it in 30 seconds. Not only that, but those companies will give me an "expected delivery" date -- almost always accurate. All for a $5 package.

But when it comes to a $45,000 car, Lotus can't really say with any accuracy whether it's even been shipped. :huh:

I know they're a small company experiencing growing pains, so I'm trying to be understanding. (Like I have any choice!)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
pinmagic said:
I'm amazed that I can ship a package by UPS or FedEx, and be able to get online and track it in 30 seconds. Not only that, but those companies will give me an "expected delivery" date -- almost always accurate. All for a $5 package.

But when it comes to a $45,000 car, Lotus can't really say with any accuracy whether it's even been shipped. :huh:
LOL, when put that way it does appear to be quite outrageous.

I think they know that it's bad for business. It's all gonna change with the implementation of their new computer network. We are just on-board a little early and find us stuck in the growing pains phase.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The old "They're a small company" excuse is BS... The shipping company isn't Lotus owned. Shipping is all they do, so why the heck can't someone find out where the hell the dam cars are?:mad:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Amen pinmagic.

There is still clearly an information disconnect. I can't imagine Lotus puts cars on a boat and then doesn't track them. So someone somewhere in UK knows each and every VIN, where it's headed, which customer it was built for, and when they expect to get paid for it. It's the only way to do accountable business.

That information is either not getting to the dealerships or it's just not getting to us.

After reading about how enthusiastic and cooperative some dealerships have been, I can't imagine they wouldn't be forthcoming with information if they had it. Since the lack of reliable information still seems to be nationwide, and not just a few select dealers, the information-break probably has a desk somewhere at LCU.

The July 7 letter promised detailed delivery updates for every dealership by the end of July. I'm curious to see if they live up to it. After that, ff I can't get a delivery estimate for a car that should arrive in less than a month, something is still very wrong.

I'm sorry, was this another Bitch About Lack of Information thread, or something different? :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Back that waaaambulance up a second. :)

Lotus UK has a lot of information, but they are not responsible for contacting you. They sell cars to Lotus USA.

Lotus USA does know where the cars are in shipment. They know where the ships are. I mentioned yesterday where two of the west coast ships were.

Does Lotus USA have a large wallmap with individual pins showing your name on it being moved across the sea? No. :)

I think the disconnect is that for most people, hearing "your car is being built in July and will be here in August" is enough information, or it's perceived as enough. For us waiting list nuts, of course we want to know which day, what time will it come out of the container. When will it get signed off by customs. When will the transporter load it. When will it arrive at my dealer.

And almost all of that is out of anyone's hands and if they tell you something, it will end up being wrong.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Randy Chase said:

Lotus UK has a lot of information, but they are not responsible for contacting you. They sell cars to Lotus USA.

Lotus USA does know where the cars are in shipment. They know where the ships are. I mentioned yesterday where two of the west coast ships were.

Does Lotus USA have a large wallmap with individual pins showing your name on it being moved across the sea? No. :)

I think the disconnect is that for most people, hearing "your car is being built in July and will be here in August" is enough information, or it's perceived as enough. For us waiting list nuts, of course we want to know which day, what time will it come out of the container. When will it get signed off by customs. When will the transporter load it. When will it arrive at my dealer.
No No No... You misunderstand, I'm not talking about cars that are on ships, I'm talking about cars that are on trucks supposedly on there way to the dealer. My dealer told me his cars left by truck last week Friday, but as of yet no cars have showed up... WTF!

Now get the WaaaAmbulance rolling again!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Bah.. I've been driving around Code 3 lights ablaze since May
Fair enough.
Right. Except I have no idea what's on those ships, and don't have a contact at Lotus USA to tell me. I'm constantly reminded that my contact is the dealer, and the dealer is saying quite clearly that Lotus is not telling them anything. If I am to believe them, they check the front porch for a delivery truck each day.
Effectively, I believe they do! Not a colorful wall-map of the glorious 50 states, but it's a list in their computer for sure. Each car has pre-ordained fate, and they have access to it. A database query would print a mighty interesting list. The only alternative would be that their deliveries are in complete disarray, left to the whims of someone late in the delivery chain, and they won't be able to schedule or bill correctly.
I think the disconnect is that for most people, hearing "your car is being built in July and will be here in August" is enough information, or it's perceived as enough.
Enough? I would cry with delight! Such commital and precise information is the stuff of fantasy. All I have now (and I'm guessing it's the same for many of us, not just me) is a rough guess based on rumors, leaked information, and dealer optimism. And it changes depending on what the dealer hears through the grapevine. It changes often, and the dealer has such low confidence in the guess that it's always couched in warnings and disclaimers. The last guess was "Probably in August, maybe September, maybe later, we'll see."

For us waiting list nuts, of course we want to know which day, what time will it come out of the container. When will it get signed off by customs. When will the transporter load it. When will it arrive at my dealer.
True. But that's just something to pass the time. I would be able to relax and feel much better with just the "arrive at my dealer" part, accurate to within 30 days, and with some confidence that it's meaningful information. I'm still hoping we get that by the end of the month. If not, the my waambulance will be back into gear. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have this picture of the car transporters with WAAAAMBULANCE on the side, lights flashing and siren wailing, hurrying to get these cars to their owners. :)

It seemed that Lotus USA did not know much about the cars once they leave the distribution centers. Just that they were going on closed transporters that included other vehicles and it could take a while.

I did hear that Lotus USA was working to tighten up the shipping and distribution process and that they have made some progress so that it will be faster now.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Randy Chase said:
I have this picture of the car transporters with WAAAAMBULANCE on the side, lights flashing and siren wailing, hurrying to get these cars to their owners. :)

It seemed that Lotus USA did not know much about the cars once they leave the distribution centers. Just that they were going on closed transporters that included other vehicles and it could take a while.

I did hear that Lotus USA was working to tighten up the shipping and distribution process and that they have made some progress so that it will be faster now.
I hear ya, but its more than a week since they left. How many cars can fit on one transporter. It just seems a bit ridiculous at this point:mad:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Auto Europe in Birmingham, MI hasn't even received their demo yet.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I count eight cars. Even if the cars are going to eight different dealers a week should be more than enough time to empty a truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Randy:

I agree -- it's impossible to accurately predict build, overseas shipping, etc. But when Lotus tells a dealer the car shipped from the distribution center -- well, that's not a prediction -- it's supposed to be a statement of fact. I think that's a bit different, and a bit less excuseable.

Lotus told us that all the cars shipped from the distribution center last Friday, but I'm beginning to wonder.. Or maybe their definition of "shipping" is turning them over to the trucking company, which starts moving them in some order, with a limited number of trucks. But that's not really the same thing, and I just wish they'd said that.

Having said all that, I do understand this is a whole new level of business for Lotus, and there are bound to be glitches. I just wish they didn't affect MY car! ;)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Derek said:
I hear ya, but its more than a week since they left. How many cars can fit on one transporter. It just seems a bit ridiculous at this point:mad:
The transporters are not exclusively carrying Elises. They carry all makes and models of cars. They don't go directly to Lotus dealers, they most likely make a circular route that takes them to several dealers in various locations and return back to the distribution centers. The truck carrying a car to Virginia could easily make the trip to Connecticut by way of Pennsylvania first - we don't know.

As for up to date tracking along the likes of UPS or FedEx; Well, those companies don't do that tracking for us. It's part of their business methods so that they can track their activities and process things more efficiently. A nice side benefit is letting the customer "see" the info, but they certainly didn't create the system for "us". The trucking company does their business in the way that is most profitable for them and I highly doubt that they are the need or resources to put everything on the web for the impatient few...

"All things come to those who wait"...

Tim Mullen

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
pinmagic said:

Or maybe their definition of "shipping" is turning them over to the trucking company, which starts moving them in some order, with a limited number of trucks. But that's not really the same thing, and I just wish they'd said that.
Yes, I think that could be right. I guess it did not mean that 10 trucks were loaded with Elises and ready to go as soon as the paperwork was printed out. Heck, maybe some trucks make a route and come back and get a new load. That might make sense.

We have had reports of one dealer getting 4 or 5 cars. A number of dealers have gotten cars. Lotus of Austin received a customer car and they are in Texas of course. They expect more cars are enroute.

So I think you are right. The transporter operates under it's normal method of operation and schedules out deliveries to dealers in a route that makes the most economic sense to them.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The cars were released to the transporter on Friday, whether every single elise at brunswick was loaded up that day is another story, it seems unlikely, certainly the map out a route a truck takes carrying cars (could be any new cars with a few elises thrown in). Once the cars are released from Brunswick it's up to the truck company to determine who/what/where/when.

As far as I know Lotus Atlanta is not anticipating any other cars aside from the one I got until late next week or the following week.
Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hmmm...well apparently the people at this trucking company don't realize that I'm more important than the rest of you, and that mine should have been delivered first.

Which one of you would like to call them, and clue them in?:D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ground Loop said:
The July 7 letter promised detailed delivery updates for every dealership by the end of July. I'm curious to see if they live up to it. After that, ff I can't get a delivery estimate for a car that should arrive in less than a month, something is still very wrong.

I'm sorry, was this another Bitch About Lack of Information thread, or something different? :)

I plan to contact my dealer on August 1st to find out when my car is scheduled to be built. I expect to be disappointed when they tell me they still don't know.

Prove me wrong, Lotus! Please.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TimMullen said:
The transporters are not exclusively carrying Elises. They carry all makes and models of cars. They don't go directly to Lotus dealers, they most likely make a circular route that takes them to several dealers in various locations and return back to the distribution centers. The truck carrying a car to Virginia could easily make the trip to Connecticut by way of Pennsylvania first - we don't know.

As for up to date tracking along the likes of UPS or FedEx; Well, those companies don't do that tracking for us. It's part of their business methods so that they can track their activities and process things more efficiently. A nice side benefit is letting the customer "see" the info, but they certainly didn't create the system for "us". The trucking company does their business in the way that is most profitable for them and I highly doubt that they are the need or resources to put everything on the web for the impatient few...

"All things come to those who wait"...

Tim Mullen
I know the transporters are not exclusively carrying Elise'(Look at the picture), But even fully loaded with other cars and only carrying one Elise it should take no more than a week to get the car to it's designation.
Case in point: My dealer just informed me that his cars did not ship when Lotus told him they did. I'm not sure where the miscommunication occurred, but nonetheless, occur it did.

This may seem petty to some, but for a moment envision that you just got the call and are told your car will be in on “X “day. Of course you’d want to get everything in order. You’d make arrangement to transfer your funds or get a loan. You’d also be wise to get your insurance for the new car. Then to be totally ready you would arrange to have that day off… Just to find out it was all for nothing. Still think it’s petty? I’ll be looking for your post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts