The Lotus Cars Community banner

Does your hardtop fit properly?

• No, it has a bulge and lots of wind noise... i want a fix!

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • No, it didn't fit but Lotus fixed it for free

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, fits fine.

Votes: 123 72.8%
  • whachu talkin' bout willus...

Votes: 16 9.5%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after several attempts to get my local dealer (Lotus of Scottsdale) to give me a solution for the ill-fitting hardtop I've decided to give up. I can't even get a price quote for the hardtop bracket from them when I supplied a part # so... :shrug:

So I'm going to do what I've done for several other... ah... shortcomings our beloved cars have. I'm going to make my own with the help of Saikou Michi Co!

Since the cost of the OEM bracket is pretty outrageous ($185 wholesale + $200 labor? :crazyeyes) I'm thinking about selling these to fellow community members.

It will be made with the same care and attention to detail as the catch cans we recently released.

Please post here and vote on the poll if you'd be interested in such a product.

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bane,

If an authorized Lotus shop cannot get the hardtop adjusted correctly, Lotus will pay for the bracket + installation. Lotus of Atlanta fixed mine for free as this is a Lotus program. And mine was out of warranty. Have Lotus of Scottsdale make a call.

Ben

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be very similar to the OEM fix for much less cost.

If noone is interested, I'm still going to make it and put it on my car :shrug: I just want to know if I should tell Saikou-kun to get ready to start making a new product..

-poke-

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bane,

If an authorized Lotus shop cannot get the hardtop adjusted correctly, Lotus will pay for the bracket + installation. Lotus of Atlanta fixed mine for free as this is a Lotus program. And mine was out of warranty. Have Lotus of Scottsdale make a call.

Ben
Already did and got shot down. I've asked 3 times now and they brought in different people to look at pictures, etc. and the answer was always the same (NO) :shrug:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Already did and got shot down. I've asked 3 times now and they brought in different people to look at pictures, etc. and the answer was always the same (NO) :shrug:
Bane,

Is your car a 2005 model? If so, I can see why Lotus won't do it as this wasn't available in that year.

Shouldn't be hard to fabricate, good luck :up:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll see if I can get the name of the corporate Lotus guy who authorized it. The part makes all the difference in the world.

Ben

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'll see if I can get the name of the corporate Lotus guy who authorized it. The part makes all the difference in the world.

Ben
Mike Fisher handles east coast and Dave Simkin handles the west coast but, if he already shot it down 3 times, Mike won't be able to do much...senority, Dave has been with Lotus for 20+ years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd buy it. Let me know when its available.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you ever make these? Can you make more and if so, what is cost?
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
Me too.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, sorry I've been extremely busy and haven't had time to make the bracket with Saikou Michi company. I'm going to see if PPE Engineering is interested in manufacturing these brackets for us. Please stay posted!

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bracket has been fabricated and will be fitted this Wednesday... We'll make any last minute adjustments to the design and then offer it up to the community.

Sorry I've been really busy with other things. My car has been sitting unused in the garage for the majority of the year :eek:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
According to my mechanic, Lotus says the rear panel behind the roof should be adjusted to clear up any discrepancies in height for the 05-06 model.

I am hoping to do it shortly. I will post before and after pics if interested.

As for the sound... I placed a thin strip of the cloth side of Velcro across the back seal on the bottom of the roof and I have zero sound issues any longer.

Bane, how will this new part attach to the roof itself without built in fasteners?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's not possible unless you plan on bending your sail panel into the same shape as the bulging roof :rolleyes:

The difference can be made up by adjusting the panel if the top isn't warped. Lotus denies this issue and said the tops don't warp but you can see in the poll that some cars really do suffer from this issue.

We plan on inserting the proper sized helicoils into the top to fasten it down. I'll have some pictures on Wednesday.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm still in. Looking forward to it.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bracket is installed and works GREAT.

I can't believe how much quieter the car is on the freeway now... it's actually like a normal car :panic:

Oh yeah, it's also stopped creaking going over speed bumps. The dog chew toy noise was rather annoying.

Price is still TBD as this part is fairly elaborate. Lotus can't seem to make anything straightforward and easy to design for :wallbang:

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:drool:

Special thanks to RoadDad and especially Scrumpot for helping out with this project!

Our solution is very robust... it whipped my hardtop into shape faster than a drill Sergeant at boot camp :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts