The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of us have been focusing on the demo models and the first gropup, but does anyone know the status (eta) of the second group of Elises?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
A second ship went out on June 8th I think.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy Chase said:
A second ship went out on June 8th I think.
Thanks Randy. Any guesstimate as to how many Elises would be on that shipment? :confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Duh. Sorry, tried to type responses between Sopranos and Deadwood. The TV is now off. :)

The second ship went out June 1st with another 18 cars to match the first 18 cars that left the previous week.

I am still unclear because I have heard two different, somwhat conflicting things, if one ship was east coast and one west. And if so, did the first ship, as I would presume, be the one going to the east coast. I know the east coast ship is supposed to arrive around June 15th and the west coast ship later.

If they kept on schedule, another ship will go out on June 7th. I do not know what the number of ships are in that shipment, other than they intend on increasing the quantity of cars.

With over 80 cars now built, I would expect a larger group this week. The week holiday in England for last week means that I think the number of cars done as of last Friday was 88.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Randy Chase said:

I am still unclear because I have heard two different, somwhat conflicting things, if one ship was east coast and one west. And if so, did the first ship, as I would presume, be the one going to the east coast. I know the east coast ship is supposed to arrive around June 15th and the west coast ship later.
why wouldn't the first ship go to the west coast, since it takes 2 weeks longer to reach the west?

that doesn't really make sense

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
atyclb said:
why wouldn't the first ship go to the west coast, since it takes 2 weeks longer to reach the west?

that doesn't really make sense
Because those of us on the east coast are so much more important than people on the west coast. Duh!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
pinmagic said:
Because those of us on the east coast are so much more important than people on the west coast. Duh!
With a total lack of regard for the remainder of the population living from Alaska to Texas in the middle :D :D

(Ps, I know Alaska is in the west coast but it gets lumped out of the 48 states constantly.)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Randy Chase said:

With over 80 cars now built, I would expect a larger group this week. The week holiday in England for last week means that I think the number of cars done as of last Friday was 88.
This is good, solid info. 88 cars built is roughly 1 demo and position 1 per dealer.

I was hoping for my car by the end of July for our wedding aniversary getaway. It's gonna be tight..... (#3 at Silver star)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I am supposed to get one of the first cars in San Diego and I am hoping for mid July, but it could be earlier.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
So, assuming that the demo cars arrive on the 22nd of June, and that 1 spot is filled each week, then I won't get my car at spot 10 till the end of August.

That really bites.

Randy, do you know if they are going to increase the amount of cars per week? I'm guessing that they are not. at a rate of 2250 cars per year, that is 43 cars per week. Just enough to fill the dealer capacity at a 1 per dealer ratio.

Now if the dealer allocation varies, which I hope it will, then I may see the car sooner.

Also, this assumes no variation in built based on color, and no installation of the 3M film at the port (which I haven't heard anything further on).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Genjuro said:

Randy, do you know if they are going to increase the amount of cars per week? .
Yes! That is the plan. Ramp up. Specially after August.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
As a die-hard progressive I'm normally all for lots and lots of holidays and vacation for workers, but in this case I propose that Lotus suspend all time off until, well, at least until position number 27 at Symbolic is built and delivered ! ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
One Car A Week??

So at this present rate, each dealership is getting one car a week? I'm #29 so I'm out 29 weeks? I am horrified at the thought of not seeing this car until 2005.
What is the projected Ramp Up? 2 a week?
- dechien

·
Registered
224 Posts
Multiple Boats?

Also, is there just one boat designated for transporting Lotus Elises to the U.S.? What may be the major problem with sending multiple boats out at the same time? If these cars are already made, it seems illogical to ship them out one boatful at a time.
- dechien

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: Multiple Boats?

dechien said:
What may be the major problem with sending multiple boats out at the same time? If these cars are already made, it seems illogical to ship them out one boatful at a time.
- dechien
Just my guess...

There is only so much infrastructure right now for the logistics of moving the cars.

It is one thing to have them on the production line. Then they have to get prepped for delivery, loaded on trucks, taken to the port, placed on the ship. Once at the destination, there will be a 2 or 3 day wait while the port (one on each coast) does what it has to do.

The prep, trucks, ships, port, prep again, trucks, dealerships all have to be coordinated and the smart move for Lotus would be to ease into this with smaller shipments at first instead of trying to schedule more ships. There *may* also be an issue of cashflow because you have to get ships to the USA in order to get paid. And building/getting the ships over costs some money. Again, I am just thinking out loud, that is not based on anything I have been told.

The intent is to ramp up and build/ship the cars as fast as they can while being prudent to not having excess capacity that would not make sense financially, specially if were to experience a slump after initial waiting list orders are completed.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: Multiple Boats?

dechien said:
Also, is there just one boat designated for transporting Lotus Elises to the U.S.? What may be the major problem with sending multiple boats out at the same time? If these cars are already made, it seems illogical to ship them out one boatful at a time.
- dechien
There are now two boats on the water. I would assume it's a shipping company and since the ships will take 2 or 3 weeks to get across the ocean, they will take a certain amount of time getting back. If each ship requires a minimum of 4 weeks before it comes back, that means you need at least 8 ships in the rotation (one for each coast, each week).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: Re: Multiple Boats?

Randy Chase said:
There are now two boats on the water. I would assume it's a shipping company and since the ships will take 2 or 3 weeks to get across the ocean, they will take a certain amount of time getting back. If each ship requires a minimum of 4 weeks before it comes back, that means you need at least 8 ships in the rotation (one for each coast, each week).
That sounds reasonable, and just to clarify, Lotus doesn't own ships. They put cars in crates, and give them to a company (or companies) that delivers them, very similarly to the way that we can ship boxes via UPS or USPS.

And, just like UPS or USPS, the shipping companies probably have hundreds of vehicles (ships, trucks, etc.) in transit at any point in time, so this is not really a concern for us. I wouldn't expect any "shipping delay" based on numbers of ships on the water, as this is no concern to us or Lotus.

I would expect that there are ships leaving England for the U.S. at least once a week, probably more often, and they may make other stops (France, Ireland, etc.) before they head for the U.S. I'm sure (just like UPS) that the shipping companies have different "priorities" that determine how long it takes to get a container from point A to point B. The big question is: "what priority is Lotus paying for" and the answer is that they're not spending much, as its obviously faster (and therefore more expensive) to truck containers across the country than it is to go through the Panama Canal.

Steve

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It doesn't sound like Lotus has enough cars to fill up a ship.

I had assumed that their containers would just be part of a larger shipment including containers from many sources. But if they will have weekly shipments, perhaps they have latched onto a dedicated carrier.

Do we know?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts