The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Elise and as of lately when the car is cold, I have to crank it two or three times before it actually starts. If I just try leaving it cranking on the first try for 10 seconds or more it still won't start, but if i try cranking it for a second or two, then stop, then another second or two, then usually by the 2nd or 3rd try it will start.

Car runs without any issues once started, doesn't sputter / stall at all. When warm the car starts right away, and also will start right away when cold I've started the car within the past day.

With other cars in the past when I've seen this problem it's usually fuel pump / fuel pump seal related since the car isn't holding / building up enough pressure in the lines when cold to start the car right away. Could it be a similar issue with this car?

Battery is strong and the starter itself sounds fine. Car is supercharged with a REV300 supercharger, fuel pump is still stock.

Might be a good excuse to swap out to a Walbro 255 fuel pump. Is the stock pump even strong enough to reliably supply the pressure for a REV300 with the bigger injectors at the top end of the RPM band?

·
Vendor
3,335 Posts
Kold-Fire or Fastworks tune? I've seen that the KoldFire did this, but the fastworks does not on our Test car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kold-Fire or Fastworks tune? I've seen that the KoldFire did this, but the fastworks does not on our Test car.
Kold-Fire tune on it

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise and as of lately when the car is cold, I have to crank it two or three times before it actually starts. If I just try leaving it cranking on the first try for 10 seconds or more it still won't start, but if i try cranking it for a second or two, then stop, then another second or two, then usually by the 2nd or 3rd try it will start.

Car runs without any issues once started, doesn't sputter / stall at all. When warm the car starts right away, and also will start right away when cold I've started the car within the past day.

With other cars in the past when I've seen this problem it's usually fuel pump / fuel pump seal related since the car isn't holding / building up enough pressure in the lines when cold to start the car right away. Could it be a similar issue with this car?

Battery is strong and the starter itself sounds fine. Car is supercharged with a REV300 supercharger, fuel pump is still stock.

Might be a good excuse to swap out to a Walbro 255 fuel pump. Is the stock pump even strong enough to reliably supply the pressure for a REV300 with the bigger injectors at the top end of the RPM band?
When you turn the key, for how long does the fuel pump run? If it's only 2 or so seconds, the problem isn't likely the pump.

Check the ground between engine and chassis and clean if necessary.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
If the car cranks just fine the base problem is likely either fuel delivery or spark.

If you hear the fuel pump spinning normally before you hit the starter button likely the pump is not the issue but you might need to check the fuel filter and fuel lines.

Since you don't have the factory tune you might need a Kold-fire diagnostic tool to see if your injectors or spark timing are cooperating in synch. Worn or fouled plugs could also be an easy fix.

I'd start with what ever checks are easiest/cheapest and rule out as you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts