The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my katana2 on friday and cant wait to get it in. I was planning installing it by myself since I have a decent mechanic skills but was wondering how long it took you guys to install it yourselves and any hints tips and tricks would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The supercharger is a $4000 part. If you install it, and it fails, you are out 4k bucks. If you have an authorized center install it, you have a warranty.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you install it, and it fails, you are out 4k bucks.
Or you can have a look and see on why it doesn't work. I certainly wouldn't install something (no matter the price), not have it work, and just shrug and say it's a loss.

I would check around the forums, OP. I recall seeing a detailed thread on it somewhere.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I installed the BWR kit on my own car. Before I got the Elise I hadn't put a spanner on a car for 25 years . Now do everything myself. Great way to learn about your car and if something ever goes wrong you will know how to fix it yourself. With the forums there is just so much help out there.
Look up BWR instructions as the kits are very similar.
One weekend and you will get it done.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The warranty, and lack of shop space, led me to drive 1000 miles to get mine installed in California. I consider a supercharger a VERY end-user installable component. The only real question is clam on, or clam off. You say you have no place to install a supercharger. What state do you live in Eglinlotus?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I put mine (VF2) in myself, take your time, take the clam off, have fun.
Pay particular attention to getting the drive pully faces aligned so the belt isn't forced to track improperly.
I did mine in two lazy days.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i live in fort walton beach florida the closest one is 6 hrs away and I dont have the time to drive it up there and stay a couple of days then drive back down. I'm in the air force and my job is honor guard so I need to be able to moblize in 30mins for a funneral. If anyone knows the title for the step by step install thread please PM me it as i have been looking for it and havent been able to find it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i live in fort walton beach florida the closest one is 6 hrs away and I dont have the time to drive it up there and stay a couple of days then drive back down. I'm in the air force and my job is honor guard so I need to be able to moblize in 30mins for a funneral. If anyone knows the title for the step by step install thread please PM me it as i have been looking for it and havent been able to find it.

OK, now you're scaring me....
If you've got the decent mech skills you say you have, you don't need an install guide...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I installed a BWR unit over a weekend with a friend (LT member Cory1000).

We did it clam off, which made it much easier. Clam on can be done, but with more contortioning required :D. Installation was supported by the excellent instructions provided by BWR.

I assume that you will be getting instructions with the Katana?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
TUNE !!! Isn't that critical on the VF??

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
TUNE !!! Isn't that critical on the VF??
Tune is critical on any SC you install. You're asking for trouble if you just drop in a SC and leave it at that.

The BWR unit came with a PES tune.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fellas. Before I joined the military my dad and I restored cars as a hobby. I just have never messed with forced introduction. It's not hard to pull off a manifold and replace it. Which essentially is what you do with a sc I just wanted to see how crazy it would be to do in such a tight space. because I prefer not to take off the rear cam.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks fellas. Before I joined the military my dad and I restored cars as a hobby. I just have never messed with forced introduction. It's not hard to pull off a manifold and replace it. Which essentially is what you do with a sc I just wanted to see how crazy it would be to do in such a tight space. because I prefer not to take off the rear cam.
It's been done, I wouldn't do it.
Besides, who knows what sort of crap is living under your seats...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts