1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Nice ad...And they picked the best color too....:)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Will this work on Mac OS X? What kind of file is it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
TOPGUN750 said:
Will this work on Mac OS X? What kind of file is it?
It movie itself is just an Apple Quicktime file, so there shouldn't be any problem viewing the movie. I imagine that the installer that checks your operating system supports OS X, but there's only one way to find out.

It's kind of crapy that they make you install a new program just to watch a movie that you can see with a mainstream plugin. I uninstalled the player as soon as possible after installation, just in case.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am still having problems with the video. Can someone IM me and send me the file over AOL? That would be great. I'd say try email but there is a limit to 3megs for attachments. Thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Security alert!

If it's just a QT file, why wasn't it posted in that form? I have to say that, from a computer security point of view, I am not inclined to download an executable of unknown provenance in order to watch a movie that's in a standard format that most people have the player for already. Paranoid-geek alarm bells are ringing in my head...:)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Security alert!

I strongly second Roadrunner's assessment. I would never go to some random web site and download something that has to be installed, or even executed. Those in the IT profession will understand, but for those who only use computers, you should know that the threats lurking out there are almost beyond belief and rapidly getting worse.

And, I'm not paranoid, I deal with them every day. The threats are steadily moving from kids defacing web sites for kicks to organized crime schemes with huge profit motives.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
ChrisB,

I read an interesting article on this recently. The Russian mafia is heavily involved in Internet Credit Card schemes

·
Registered
7 Posts
chill phil!

I downloaded and although it took some time it was fine i wouldn't worry about virus', i don't like down loading stuff but i got it sent from lotus and them we can trust! As for the software yopu down load it's brilliant it allows you to watch the movie full Screen! nice!:p

·
Registered
1 Posts
elise 111r

have u seen this ad for the elise 111r
its abit wierd, its got a personalisation bit in it that works when you forward it to mates, by putting there name and address.
freaked me out, full screen as well
http://www.screendragon.com/2020/index.asp?24336
doesnt really do much untill u put someones name in but then watch your inbox light up with replies from shocked mates

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Re: Security alert!

ChrisB said:
I strongly second Roadrunner's assessment. I would never go to some random web site and download something that has to be installed, or even executed. Those in the IT profession will understand, but for those who only use computers, you should know that the threats lurking out there are almost beyond belief and rapidly getting worse.

And, I'm not paranoid, I deal with them every day. The threats are steadily moving from kids defacing web sites for kicks to organized crime schemes with huge profit motives.
If it is just a QT file why can't some brave soul that has done the install post the video to ET?

I am not feeling very brave this morning...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chillin' like a villain...

Hugo,

Without being alarmist I would still recommend you exercise caution. You don't know what else this "brilliant" software may be doing over and above its primary purpose. For more on this, Google for "Kazaa Gator spyware removal". Don't worry if you have been Gatored, you can download Ad-Aware to get rid of everything - to the best of my knowledge that's safe to run...:)

Also, as Patricko suggested, can you post just the QT file for us wimps with no sense of adventure to view?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to continue the minor hijack.

Another good FREE spyware scanner and blocker (rated best by PC Mag.) is Webroot Spy Sweeper. I installed the latest Ad Aware and then Sweeper and the Sweeper found and removed stuff that completely got past Ad-Aware. The problem may have been in additional configuration options I didn't look to set but the Sweeper is very easy and it monitors your machine to block attempted new spyware programs.

http://www.webroot.com/

Hugs,
Jim

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: chill phil!

hugo said:
I downloaded and although it took some time it was fine
I'm sorry, but you don't have any way of knowing "it was fine". Like I said, historically, intrusions were for the purpose of doing immediate damage and letting you know they had the power to destroy some or all of your computer data. They got their kicks from demonstrating their power over you. Their objectives today are do whatever they can to prevent you knowing you have been had. They generally want one of two things:

1. Your personal information: logon IDs, passwords, SSN, account #s, etc. If you do on-line banking, think about it. If you prepare your income tax returns on your computer, think about what someone could do with that information!

2. To gain remote control access to your computer so they can use it in the future to perform their nefarious deeds and leave your computer as the apparent source of the harm.

When you find yourself with $50,000 in credit card debt, that you've just defaulted on a $1M mortgage on a house in a city you've never even visited and your bank accounts are empty, you will get no sympathy from the financial institutions and the police will just shrug their shoulders and say "tough luck buddy". They know they're not likely to find the culprit. Your assets are probably in Belarus by then.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts