The Lotus Cars Community banner

Have you test driven an Elise and have a deposit down

• No, I am still waiting

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Yes, I have driven or own one (US Residents only)

Votes: 47 61.8%
  • I'm a lucky bastard and have driven the Federal Version and I dont work for Lotus (tell us how you m

Votes: 2 2.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
You mean the Fed version, right? I've only heard of one non-Lotus person who's even ridden in one...no one's driven one (except the press).

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI All,
I'm a non-Lotus person who drove one of the test federal cars back in early September. Additionally, Roy Olivier and Andrew Mcbarron have driven the car as well.

It was a blast.
Chris
PS> I think theirs a thread somewhere here with Roy's and my driving impressions.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I drove the Euro-Spec 120 horspower version. It was fun and sprightly. I can already see that I'll be putting loads of "fun miles" on my Elise when it gets here! I wonder what the treadwear rating is on the Yokohama Advan Neovo AD07 tires? From how they look in the pics, I'm guessing they're a soft compound and may not last over 10,000 miles in spirited driving...

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
rtking said:
From how they look in the pics, I'm guessing they're a soft compound and may not last over 10,000 miles in spirited driving...
You bet on it!!

The amount of fun you have in the car is inversely proportional to the lifespan of your tires :D :D :D

Some people go through a set of rear tires every 5000 miles :) (fronts usually last a little longer)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
My MR2 with Yoko A520 go through a set of rears every ~7500 miles, typically fronts are x2 that. Mid-engine cars love to eat rear tires. :D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
LarryB said:
My MR2 with Yoko A520 go through a set of rears every ~7500 miles, typically fronts are x2 that. Mid-engine cars love to eat rear tires. :D
Ouch ! That will be a definite change from the Miata - I got great life out of my OEM Michelin Pilots - over 30,000 miles !!!

Oh well, that's what I'm saving my money for...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a non-Lotus person who drove one of the test federal cars back in early September. Additionally, Roy Olivier and Andrew Mcbarron have driven the car as well.
Chris, I thought you and Clyde both worked for Lotus. Guess I was wrong. I know there is a guy named Jeff Chen who posts and thought he worked for Lotus too, but maybe he is a consultant since a post said Lotus USA only has about 10 employees right now.

Is the Fed car you drove undergoing testing or is it going to dealers for test drives now? I would guess they dont want to let dealers give rides until the "Official" showing in LA.

If deposit holders happen to be in Atlanta after the preview and before the cars are delivered in April, would they let us see or drive a US version?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I drove one. Someone posted my comments here a few months back. It was a test mule but was a nice ride:)

Roy

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Roy and Chris, we're all so jealous of you guys !

I've been fortunate to have driven the yellow euro-spec Elise twice now. The last time was about 3 or 4 months ago, so I need another fix. Come on, 2004 !

:cool:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I drove the red 111S on a spirited drive following an Exige thru back roads in CT. I promptly put down a deposit when we returned to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You mean the Fed version, right?
The first yes option refers to a non-Fed version with the Rover engine that is going around to dealerships, or a legally imported one that is used for racing that some one might own. I made it US residents only since everyone in Europe has the option of driving one before.

The second yes option refers to the FED version with the Toyora engine.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I used to get 8/14K miles (rear/front) when I was running AVSi's
(with autoX events on them) on my 94 turbo MR2

Now that I switched to S03's and use separate set of race tires for autoX I have 10K on rear tires (S03) and they still have enough tread left.

LarryB said:

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The MR2 with OEM tires went around 18K miles (rear). Having lowered it with a more agressive alignment with softer tires will shorted there life.

With the Elise, tend to think Lotus is a bit more agressive then your average OEM car with fairly soft Yoko tires, would expect the rears to be gone within 10k miles. Depending on the type of driving/style, your milage may vary. With the A048 you'd be lucky to get 5K out of them.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
LarryB said:
The MR2 with OEM tires went around 18K miles (rear). Having lowered it with a more agressive alignment with softer tires will shorted there life.
I thought 10k was pretty typical, even for a stock suspension? Lowering it doesn't change the tire wear, and with my standard alignment I still average 10k for the rears.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Matt- That was with the stock tires & suspension / alignment. At the time was doing more open freeway driving. Yeah that's higher then typically. Lowering adds negative camber and added a bit of toe for the rear. The wear, think is more due to the softer tires & lots more of the twisties. Actually the current set of rears are starting to hit the wear bars at ~6.5k mile... your Aug rally didn't help them live long. ;)

edit- Oh yeah, being a turbo owner we're putting down more power then the N/A guys ( I did crank up the boost on the current set of rear tires.) :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts