The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these pads for their front brakes/wheels? I don't track my Elise, but I do drive it briskly through curvy mountainous areas. ;)

Has anyone "machined" their rotors? The top section of ther front passenger rotot is a little "rough", and I was wondering who can turn these rotors with the holes on them? (Note: there is still 25+ left on all rotors, mileage is ~ 13,500.

:shift: <--- not me right now :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
My opinion is don't machine your rotor. The only advantage to machine it is reducing the bedding time, but the pads are agressive enough to bed in pretty short time anyway.

I never try the Hawk performance on the Elise, sorry.

Reactions: FyndFyre

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the benefits of ceramic brake pads?

This is from an article I read. I'm not a brake expert, so some here may agree or disagree with the content/opinion. Nevertheless, here it is:

"Why Ceramic Brake Pads?

We want our vehicle's brake system to offer smooth, quiet braking capabilities under a wide range of temperature and road conditions. We don't want brake-generated noise and dust annoying us during our daily driving.

To accommodate this, brake friction materials have evolved significantly over the years. They've gone from asbestos to organic to semi-metallic formulations. Each of these materials has proven to have advantages and disadvantages regarding environmental friendliness, wear, noise and stopping capability.

Asbestos pads caused health issues and organic compounds can't always meet a wide range of braking requirements. Unfortunately the steel strands used in semi-metallic pads to provide strength and conduct heat away from rotors also generate noise and are abrasive enough to increase rotor wear.

Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa."

Comments? :shrug: :cool:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
as i said, I am happy with all the hawk products that i have used,
BUT, I must restate
when i tracked my Elise i was really aggressive with the brakes, and the fully stock set up was fantastic.
I never understand why people insist on fixing things that are not broken.
on your stock set-up, were you having issues with your brakes in canyons or on the track?
if not, then why change anything?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as i said, I am happy with all the hawk products that i have used,
BUT, I must restate
when i tracked my Elise i was really aggressive with the brakes, and the fully stock set up was fantastic.
on your stock set-up, were you having issues with your brakes in canyons or on the track?
if not, then why change anything?
I appreciate your input fishguy (and others). Thanks! :up: However, I'm not trying to "fix things that aren't broken". I stated in a different post but I guess I neglected to mention in this one... :eek:, my front passenger pad is worn, thin, and squeeling, and I therefore need to replace it immediately before I go on any more adventures. I searched through threads and responses that contained an array of viewpoints regarding brakepads and manufactures. Most of the street/race pads were costly, and so was I considering the Hawk for the reasons mentioned in the article: quieter, less dust, longer life... and they were for selling for about the same price as the original pads. So... I'm consulting the "experienced" brake pad replacement folk here to help me make an informed decision. :)
Next... Once the decision is made...how to get them on! -eek-

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With regard to replacement, looks like there's some good information here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50358&highlight=replacing+brake+pads
Yes Blonde1, that was the original posting in which I was attempting to gain some overall brake information... and also solicit some assistance in replacing the pads... but alas... without any success. :(
I really want to do this myself... but as a mentee with someone overseeing and guiding the process who has experience replacing brakes pads on these specific cars.
:shrug:

P.S. Is your Avatar from an old nudist colony or something? ;)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
People? Like the engineers at Lotus?
RS-14s (high cermic content) as an OEM pad for example?
;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yes Blonde1, that was the original posting in which I was attempting to gain some overall brake information... and also solicit some assistance in replacing the pads... but alas... without any success. :(
I really want to do this myself... but as a mentee with someone overseeing and guiding the process who has experience replacing brakes pads on these specific cars.
:shrug:

P.S. Is your Avatar from an old nudist colony or something? ;)
If I was closer, I would be happy to help. Have you considered PM'ing some of the Phoenix/AZ folks? I seem to recall there are a few here, and they might not be enticed to open this thread, but might be willing to help.

In regard to your second question...yes, or something.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Which Hawks are you talking about, HPS or HP+? I have run both compounds on the street on a different car and did not like them at all. Not enough initial bite and needed some extra heat to work.

I did like the HT-10 and the DTC-60/70 on my track car, great pads. But their street pads we not as good as OEM pads.

I would stick with the OEM if you are just driving on the street.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which Hawks are you talking about, HPS or HP+? I have run both compounds on the street on a different car and did not like them at all. Not enough initial bite and needed some extra heat to work.

I did like the HT-10 and the DTC-60/70 on my track car, great pads. But their street pads we not as good as OEM pads.

I would stick with the OEM if you are just driving on the street.
Well... after much deliberation :crazyeyes, I ordered a set of these last night. These are neither the HPS or HP+. They are the Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads. They supposedly offer "a fade resistant, linear friction profile that allows your ABS brake system to work more effectively" in addition to the other attributes previously mentioned. :)
They should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'll post how this all turns out; positively or negatively. :shrug:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well... it's a done deal! :clap:

Brakes arrived today... just in the nick of time. Look at the wear on these pads :crazyeyes (1st pic) especially the one on the left! -eek- My poor rotor! :(

(2nd pic) A bit of a difference between the new pad on the left and the old pad on the right. :eek:

Huge thanks to Wayne :clap: (last picture: who is tightening the torque wrench on the last wheel to 77ft/lbs of pressure)... :bow: one of our amazing members of the PHX L.O.O.P. for volunteering his time, facilities, tools, mechanical skills, and experience in going through each step of the process with me... slowly and carefully. :bow: He's currently in the process of completely rebuilding a '71 Europa... and I mean rebuild! Frame is off and he rebuilt it... working on the body, suspension, etc... down to the bolts, washers, wires, weatherstriping... you name it and its located somewhere in the garage. -eek- :up:

From this little challenge...we're starting a Lotus Tech Club Meeting ~ once a month to do similar types of maintenance repairs with our local Lotus owners... this turned our to be our mini alpha test. It seems we have quite a few members looking to jump into to this as well. Hopefully this will all work out! :) My message to anyone out there in a similar situation... hook up with some other local Lotus owners and perhaps you'll be able to start something up in your area as well. :up:

:shift: <-- me... back on the road! :D

Next month... rear brake pads and new brake fluid! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
it looks like you were close to doing the "larry brake job" which is;
never inspect the pads, run the car until sparks, flames ,and grinding noises happen when you hit the brake, then pay to replace everything.

just an FYI, which your friend likely already told you, but when the pads are the same thickness as the backing plate, its time to swap them out.
bed them in properly, also, you need to gently scuff the old rotors to remove the old pad material when swapping to a different pad material.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Congrats on getting this done.

Looks like you may have had uneven wear between the inboard and outboard pads. Is that the case? I know of at least one person who's lost his rotors because the outboard pad hardly wore at all, and the inboard pad went down the backing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You'll be happy with those pads. I have them on a couple of my cars, and have nothing but good experience with them. Of course, they aren't a track pad, but, they aren't sold as one. For the street, they stop well, and do last a long time. And, the reduced dusting a really a nice benefit as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts