The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today a new problem on my lotus.
for the first time every turn signal doesn't blink.
i try with hazard 4 lamps, after i tried with turn signals lamps for left and after for right, but every time the lamps didn't blink, they stay only on like normal head lamp.
maybe there is the same intermittence for hazard, turn left and turn right.
havy you had someone of you the same problem.
after a few miles (kilometers for me :) ) i tried again and it was ok again with correct function.

Max

·
Banned
874 Posts
+1 for the fuse check

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
On my mom's Audi the hazard button had the blinker relay thing in it. It was intermittent with turn signals working sometimes and sometimes not until we replaced it.

But I'd certainly check the fuses first.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My turn signals stopped working this morning but the hazard flashers still work??? I'll start with checking the Fuse. Anyone know which one controls the turn signals? Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
hmmm

I changed blown fuse #6 and all worked while stationary in parking lot. Took a short spin using turn signals multiple times and they no longer work again... I just recently had the front Clam replaced and suspect its related??? I'm going to try this process of elimination: Replace the fuse and try to invoke it to blow again underway but this time determine which (if not both) side causes this issue then try to trace it from there... I sure hope the Clam doesn''t have to come back off.

Dave

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Dave,
A definite short to ground of the relevant wiring, probably it's insulation has been worn away by metallic contact. You are looking for a Green/Red wire for the left side and a Green/White for the right.
Michael
I changed blown fuse #6 and all worked while stationary in parking lot. Took a short spin using turn signals multiple times and they no longer work again... I just recently had the front Clam replaced and suspect its related??? I'm going to try this process of elimination: Replace the fuse and try to invoke it to blow again underway but this time determine which (if not both) side causes this issue then try to trace it from there... I sure hope the Clam doesn''t have to come back off.

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was able to deduce that using either turn signal causes the fuse to blow. I'm not sure what else to trouble shoot without removing the front clam to trace the wires??? While poking around I found two connections that I'm guessing are pre-wiring for fog lamps??? Driver side shown in pic... Any help is much appreciated!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I took apart, cleaned and put back together every turn signal connection and all worked ONLY if I didn't fully engage the switch and just went to the spring limit of the lever... This lasted <20 min of drive time before the Fuse blew again. The Hazards continue to all work. I removed the turn signal relay under the dash and tried two local part stores to replace it. They looked at me like I was asking for a flux capacitor... the part # made no sense to their inventory computer. Might this be a part I could obtain from a local Toyota dealer instead of having to drive 2hrs to my nearest Lotus dealer? I'm not even certain this is the problem but if I can replace it I know what the problem shouldn't be... Any help is much appreciated as I'd very much like this to be a DIY fix.

Dave

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Dave,
If the hazards are still working it can't be the relay/flasher unit which is used for turn signals also.
If the fuse only blows when you operate the "turn signal switch" then the fault is between the switch and the major splice in that wire, or a fault in the switch which you should check.The curious thing is that the fuse blows on either left or right, which indicated both wires are shorting out. Sounds like replacement of the clam could have caused the problem. You could try disconnecting the two outgoing wires at the switch and then by operating the switch see if the fuse blows, if yes, it's the switch, if no, it's the wiring.
Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts