The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up installing TurboPhil's ClamHinge in my car, and I did a timelapse (with timecode) of the entire install - you can check it out here:

YouTube - Lotus Elise ClamHinge Install Timelapse HD

If you want to view the HD version, you'll need to go to the YouTube page for the video and click the view in high quality link just below the lower right of the video to see the HD version - not quite the 1080P I shot, but the next best thing. ;)

For those of you who have been thinking about getting the kit - here are my thoughts and experiences installing it:

First off, the packaging and instructions are top notch - I'm not sure what I was expecting, but since it's something that's going out to a relatively small number of people, I certainly wasn't expecting how professional it was. I did the install with a friend of mine, but both of us are computer guys, so we're much more likely to be working on servers than cars - that's why you see us referring to the instructions so often. That being said, if we can do it, probably just about anyone could - it just takes time. The couple times I got stuck I emailed Phil and he even called and went over things for me - very helpful and really appreciated. The typical install time I believe is supposed to be in the 4-8 hour neighborhood; in reality it took us probably 4 full days, but much of that was getting some tool or fastener that I didn't have. It also took us longer because we extended the cables, move and build a mount for the laser jammer in the back of the car, etc. The timelapse really only shows time in the shop, and really the bulk of it was done in about 12 hours.

A couple hurdles that we ran into that literally cost us hours was that the manual was missing a page (which means two pages really, front and back) - the rest of the manual was really well written with great pictures, so we were really stuck since we thought we were missing something really obvious. That's the primary reason we're stuck at the back of the car for so long, since we weren't sure how to mount the rear delete - I mounted it correctly, we tried hinging but with the wrong technique, so we thought it was wrong, so we removed and mounted it under the rubber used to isolate the exhaust, hinged it correctly, but then couldn't mount the diffuser because it was too low, had to remove and correct, etc, etc.

I also hadn't realized that it was designed to use a new battery (the 625), so that delayed things a bit as well. Phil's working on a battery relocate that would put it in the same place as in his car, which I originally was planning to do as well, but as it turns out the VF SC kit relocates something there, so that's a nogo - instead we just routed the wires so I could hinge it with everything connected (I will be uploading high resolution photos for those interested at some point).

I could hinge it originally without the battery or cables hooked up and some of the interior parts out, but I haven't been able to do it myself yet since everything was fully put back together - for me that's not really a big deal, since someone is always around, and it's a simple task (my GF normally helps me). When the top is off, from sealed up to hinged takes only a couple of minutes, definitely less than 5 mins.

Hopefully the timelapse gives you some sense of the difficulty of doing the install - one of my other camera's has gone MIA, so I'm down to one so was only able to do the long shot. I will be doing the same sort of timelapse for my VF SC install, which I'm starting on today, so expect that soon - for it I'm playing with the camera being mounted on the ceiling, with a much better view of the engine compartment afforded by the hinge mod.

All and all worth every penny and an awesome mod for any Elise! :)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Awesome video!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
ChrisN will love this. hes getting ready to tackle this project. His is even red too. Im sure that will help him. ;)

Very cool vid though. Good job.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
14 hours isn't bad I've spent more time than that on much simpler jobs .but I'm including time to, from and in the ER. carl

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Cool! I captured some stats for you and Phil:

1) Total miles walked: 75 each, for a total of 150
2) Total calories burned: Over 6000 combined.

Lol! That looks like too much work! Phil should make you take this down!

;)

Thanks for posting.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Cool! I captured some stats for you and Phil:

1) Total miles walked: 75 each, for a total of 150
2) Total calories burned: Over 6000 combined.

;)

Thanks for posting.
Ya I can't see the vid until I get home, but I'm looking forward to it:clap: Thanks for taking the time to make the vid Anx! (I think;)) hehe

I must admit that from the sounds of things this is probably one of the longest installs I've heard of yet... Darksol and I put his on his in something around 2 hours- but I've obviously done it once or twice:D

I get a few emails a week about how guys that used to not work on their car much are now working on it after installing the clamhinge, which is REALLY COOL, IMO. These cars are so easy to work on that, I think if folks could just see for themselves how accessible things are with the clam up, they may feel more adventuresome with a ratchet and wrench:up:

We're finishing up another batch up them, which may be an OK time for GB if enough are interested--- due to the tough economy and all... We could call it a TARP Economic Recovery Buy on Clamhingesrotfl

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sweet vid!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Great video! What camera did you use?

Nice looking kit - I mean - just look at that rear clam tilt. :bow:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
My favorite part is how all of the kids / wives / friends come out of the woodwork when the tilt becomes functional! :)

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
My favorite part is how all of the kids / wives / friends come out of the woodwork when the tilt becomes functional! :)
I've been trying to tell me wife that the Lotus hobby has been good for the family, and these posts simply prove that:D

That said, you guys got start eating more protein. I'm 5'10 and a whopping 165 dripping wet yet I can tilt the clam just fine on my own. C'mon guys, put your hips into it-poke-:p :D

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Finally at a computer that I could see the video- Very cool! And very clean garage too!

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I like when the girlfriend/wife comes out sporadically to stand around and ask silly questions (probably silly).

·
Registered
223 Posts
What camera did you use?

+1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
charliex said:
yeah the SC one has been what two years in the making?
I think we've actually rolled pass the two year mark! :) I've started on the SC install, but if my progress through the first few pages is any indication it's going to play a bit more like a blooper reel. The VF instructions aren't bad by any stretch, but they also aren't exactly as step by step - I think they're omitting some of the more 'obvious' steps, which aren't so obvious to me... But VF still takes my calls, so it's all good! ;)

dma550 said:
heheh, the bulk of the excess work you see is primarily our lack of skill when it comes to most things automotive related, and the dreaded missing page. About the only thing I could suggest to make this kit any easier to install would be page numbers. :)

Great video! What camera did you use?

Nice looking kit - I mean - just look at that rear clam tilt. :bow:
I used the Canon HF100 - great little camera, uses SDHC cards, which made importing the footage a whole lot simpler - I would have been dreading doing this with tape.

I also used a wide angle lens on it (the one for the HV20, with a stepdown ring), since I wanted the whole car in the shot.

turbophil said:
That said, you guys got start eating more protein. I'm 5'10 and a whopping 165 dripping wet yet I can tilt the clam just fine on my own. C'mon guys, put your hips into it.
Yeah, I know there is a way to do it because I did manage to do it once, but most of the time I just end up fumbling with it. My guess is that I didn't shave something down enough, or my technique is crap - either one is equally possible. For me, whether I do it myself or have someone help doesn't bother me too much, it's still radically faster than before... :)

Thanks again for making this great mod! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts