The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, some of you know I railed against the new menus in Verizon's Fios in the recent past, they still suck, btw... This time I'm complaining about HDMI connectors. Who thought it was a good idea to not have some kind of fastener? You know something simple like an RJ45 has a clip, or screws like DVI, etc.

Last night I was adjusting the cable box on its shelf and the cable came loose. So I have to fix it. I did, slid the box back into place and it came loose again. I did this five times as my wife is trying to watch TV. All the time the TV says DVI ---- searching for signal.

GRRRR, what do they teach in engineering school these days?

·
Registered
485 Posts
unlike the Lotus atleast the connector goes back in after it falls out:D

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
reg -

No problem. Simply use the same material and technique I use with unruly children:

DUCT TAPE

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not nearly as bad as S-Video. Particularly the perfectly round ones.

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK, some of you know I railed against the new menus in Verizon's Fios in the recent past, they still suck, btw... This time I'm complaining about HDMI connectors. Who thought it was a good idea to not have some kind of fastener? You know something simple like an RJ45 has a clip, or screws like DVI, etc.

Last night I was adjusting the cable box on its shelf and the cable came loose. So I have to fix it. I did, slid the box back into place and it came loose again. I did this five times as my wife is trying to watch TV. All the time the TV says DVI ---- searching for signal.

GRRRR, what do they teach in engineering school these days?
I feel your pain!:wallbang:

FYI - After unplugging an HDMI cable, many times you will need to power down the equipment and power back up as HDMI requires a "handshake" in order to enable the HDCP (copyright protection) decoding.

Ben

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Those things are incredibly fragile. If you don't insert them just right - you'll break a pin on a $50 cable, or worse - break a connector on your HDTV.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The only purpose of hdmi is copy protection.
I don't think engineering enters into it.
Try not to buy anything without real jacks.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The only purpose of hdmi is copy protection.
I don't think engineering enters into it.
Try not to buy anything without real jacks.
Well, it also incorporates the audio signal, too. DVI doesn't do that. Granted, if your pre-amp/receiver doesn't have HDMI switching capability, what good does HDMI do other than the aforementioned HDCP? Besides, I can't see having equipment with HDMI and sending the audio to the TV in the first place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts