The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in head gasket design or equipment between NA and FI Lotus? Can an NA that has added FI be modified for better strength? Oh, and are the pistons different? I ask since I apparently blew a head gasket on the track last Friday in a 2005 Elise with a Katana added, no other mod to engine.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
These guys can do custom copper head gaskets. This way you can lower your compression ratio, so you can turn the boost up. Might as well

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Did you mean to include a link here?
lol yes

Gasket Works Products

Oh, and MainLotus, what is wrong with dropping compression via head gasket? Im not suggesting using to run 20psi or anything, but to drop one pulley size for the supercharger guys, or run 12psi on the FF275 kits, going down to 10.5:1ish with a head gasket is only ~150 bucks, where as low comp pistons which are $500 bucks, + labor for most people.

You are well versed, so I would like to know what downsides you see in that.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Oh, and MainLotus, what is wrong with dropping compression via head gasket? Im not suggesting using to run 20psi or anything, but to drop one pulley size for the supercharger guys, or run 12psi on the FF275 kits, going down to 10.5:1ish with a head gasket is only ~150 bucks, where as low comp pistons which are $500 bucks, + labor for most people.

You are well versed, so I would like to know what downsides you see in that.
It's a bandaid approach and not the correct way to lower compression. The problem is thicker head gaskets mess with components that were designed to work within a specification. The head is sitting higher on the block and it will affect cam timing, not a good thing. There are other issues also, but this one is enough.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's a bandaid approach and not the correct way to lower compression. The problem is thicker head gaskets mess with components that were designed to work within a specification. The head is sitting higher on the block and it will affect cam timing, not a good thing. There are other issues also, but this one is enough.
Point taken, but cant you fix that with tuning?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yep, just to summarize the bits and pieces everyone has said so far

stock is MLS (multi layer steel) which is strong enough for just about anything.

copper is maybe $150 but you need to machine and O-ring the block/head so dont forget about that cost.

lowering compression does work with a thicker gasket like many S2000 guys have been doing very sucessfuly, but its sort of like lowering your compression with the wrong set of rods or pistons to bring the height of the piston down, this is very bad for combustion efficiency and not good on the engine itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts