The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2011 Evora, the headlights are so weak that I'm afraid to drive in the dark. I was hoping to upgrade to bright LED bulbs. Any recommendations for replacement bulbs? TIA

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
have you considered a search????

do you assume you are first to have a headlight issue??

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com

no space betweensite:lotustalk.com

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Have you checked aim?

Most with Elise used HIDs. LEDs do not throw enough light far enough down the road.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Please don't put LEDs in a headlight that was designed to use an HID bulb.

If your car doesn't have the DRL delete mod done to it and the low beams are on all the time, I would bet that the bulbs are near the end of their life. They will color shift and get a little dimmer when they are about to die. Assuming the headlight lenses aren't all fogged up, new bulbs ought to help. Look for a high quality D1S HID bulb.

Reactions: Ansa

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked aim?

Most with Elise used HIDs. LEDs do not throw enough light far enough down the road.
Of course I’ve considered a search, and obviously I couldn’t find anything. My apologies for littering your forum with redundant topics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m new to Lotus, so I’m just looking for some solution to my dangerously dim lights. I will do a simple replacement as your suggested. Thanks much!

Please don't put LEDs in a headlight that was designed to use an HID bulb.

If your car doesn't have the DRL delete mod done to it and the low beams are on all the time, I would bet that the bulbs are near the end of their life. They will color shift and get a little dimmer when they are about to die. Assuming the headlight lenses aren't all fogged up, new bulbs ought to help. Look for a high quality D1S HID bulb.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Is my memory correct in that some of the earlier cars didn’t come with Xenon bulbs? I recall it being an option possibly. If that’s the case the car may have regular incandescent bulbs which wouldn’t be very bright in comparison to modern LED / Xenon bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I don't recall seeing any other ballast part #s. Incandescents wouldn't require one, so I'd imagine if that were an original option, that would be noted in the parts diagrams.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't recall seeing any other ballast part #s. Incandescents wouldn't require one, so I'd imagine if that were an original option, that would be noted in the parts diagrams.
Here is a page from my owners manual. It really doesn’t clarify if my bulbs are HID or not. I also posted a picture of the headlight itself (not sure if that helps). I just wet sanded my headlights because the protective coating was peeling off, and the light seems to be whiter and brighter. Not sure if that improved it t

I also noticed that the LED parking lights are going out. Can these be replaced?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm almost certain that they all got bi-xenons (HID). I really doubt that Lotus would want to spend extra money having Perei develop two different headlight housings. At any rate, when you turn them on, do they take a few seconds to warm up and reach full brightness? If so, definitely HID.

I have looked into the failed LED running light replacement as well since a few of mine are out. Seems like it happens to a lot of Evoras. Have a look here, it looks like someone has come up with a replacement.

Reactions: Ansa

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Yep, the LED light rings will all eventually fail, but since they're not a separate orderable part from the headlight housing, they're effectively ~$1800 ea. Ridiculous.

Getting the aftermarket ones from Silverstone would be the way to go, but it does require opening the headlights up. Not too difficult to do. Also, Lotus no longer sells the headlights with the "Lotus" logo embossed on the turn signal reflector area. I think it's a rather nice touch, so I would do whatever I needed to keep them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts