The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I seem to be going through headlights rather fast. I passed 64,000 miles and a low beam just went out again this morning. This will be I think the 5th set to go in. last two time, after one side went out the other died a few hours later. Fun nighttime drive home. I’ve always changed both sides when one goes out for when I check the other bulb it has a bubble on it and some darkness.

Is any one else having the same experience? This seems a lot excessive. Any guesses as to what/if to look at that may not be right.

Edit
As a note to myself I did the new bulbs at 63970 miles. Now I can see how long this set lasts. And like the last set when I checked the passengers side it was not a clean clear bulb. So two new Sylvania Silverstar H1 bulbs where installed 9-7-08.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not sure if this is related or not. But for a while one of my headlights kept going out. At first I thought the bulb was bad. Then I eventually figured out that the fuse kept blowing - I couldn't find any shorts in the wiring. So I finally changed from a 10amp to a 15amp fuse and I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure if this is related or not. But for a while one of my headlights kept going out. At first I thought the bulb was bad. Then I eventually figured out that the fuse kept blowing - I couldn't find any shorts in the wiring. So I finally changed from a 10amp to a 15amp fuse and I have not had a problem since.
Be careful there... as per our car wiring the Switch Pack module will die faster (before) the fuses do... (so if you are changing it from a 10 to a 15amp, chances are that your Switch pack is taking the toll)
And changing a Switch pack module is ~$120 + 2hrs to disassemble and assemble the instrument panel
o and BTW not covered under warranty

Ask me how I know

·
Registered
557 Posts
I seem to be going through headlights rather fast. I passed 64,000 miles and a low beam just went out again this morning. This will be I think the 5th set to go in. last two time, after one side went out the other died a few hours later. Fun nighttime drive home. I’ve always changed both sides when one goes out for when I check the other bulb it has a bubble on it and some darkness.

Is any one else having the same experience? This seems a lot excessive. Any guesses as to what/if to look at that may not be right.
I've had the exact same problem, it's tiresome. With about 55K miles the passenger-side headlight has burned out four times, the driver's side once.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ive had 2 burn out in less than 9000 miles.

I pay about $30 for bulb, and $170 for labor to replace a burnout.

:shrug:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

I just had the passenger side go out last week at 13k miles.
So 5 times 13k is .... 65k miles.
Your and my headlights seem to be on the same schedule...:huh:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

if your car is equiped with DRL you may want to disable it

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel a little better that this seems to be normal. I figured that if something was seriously not right I would of have had a short by now. But this still seem a bit like something could be done differently.

A bulb can go for many reasons, the wire to the bulb not thick enough, to not enough power, or to much power, and sometimes a rough bumpy ride can do a bulb in. Any ideas as to what could be our problem?

I’ve rewired a car or two in my past to use higher watt bulbs before, but could this be a fix? Or something else a more probable cause?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DRLs were killed a wile back. I think I did that after the 2nd bulb blew. Tried once but found the green wire out of reach. After the second set of lights went I did the green wire mod the hard though the dash way. The bulbs last a bit longer now, but not as long as I think they easily should.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The DRLs were killed a wile back. I think I did that after the 2nd bulb blew. Tried once but found the green wire out of reach. After the second set of lights went I did the green wire mod the hard though the dash way. The bulbs last a bit longer now, but not as long as I think they easily should.
WOW, sorry to hear that...would never think headlights would be such a PITA, but on these cars it is...good luck :up:

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
I don't know if our non-HID bulbs are like typical incandescent (house) bulbs, but the reason the latter burn out quickly is increased resistance.

I had a fixture in which they wouldn't last. Took it apart, cleaned all connections back to the switch and the bulb lasted years.

Certainly worth a try to clean, reconnect the easier stuff (base, fuse box, switch, etc.)

?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm on my fourth passenger side lamp, in 16,000 miles!:panic: It's really starting to pmo.:mad:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more just went out (low beam), looks like I will do this again tomorrow. I am now at 84,000+ miles and I think this will be set #7 if I have it right.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I have 71,000 on my VW and have gone through 2 headlights per side so far. :shrug:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I am also on my second set of low beams both times passanger side with 14,000 miles on it. Seems a bit rediculous to me at 43 bucks per bulb set.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Here are two reasons that an otherwise good bulb will burn out;
1) Touching the glass bulb with your bare hand.
2) Alternator voltage spike.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that what May have happened to my headlights(alternator spike) ...neither my hi or low beams work.. They pop up but no light all other lights work though..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts