The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!:facepalm
I'm the proud owner of a 1999 lotus esprit with 68k miles. I was out driving last night and the car dies. I realize that's it's because it has been setting and hasn't been driven and the batt was flat and the alternator was doing a bit more work than normal. When it died my headlight went out(the pop up ones) and would not come back on ..all other lights came on and stayed on except the pop up ones. They pop up but no power.. I've checked every fuse and relay and had the alternator and batt checked and hey both passed with flying colors.. All systems are working just fine except the headlights . The switch on the dash operates the lights just fine the fog hazard daytime running turn indicators all work ... Any ideas ....:shrug:
Thanks
Demeterial

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!:facepalm
I'm the proud owner of a 1999 lotus esprit with 68k miles. I was out driving last night and the car dies. I realize that's it's because it has been setting and hasn't been driven and the batt was flat and the alternator was doing a bit more work than normal. When it died my headlight went out(the pop up ones) and would not come back on ..all other lights came on and stayed on except the pop up ones. They pop up but no power.. I've checked every fuse and relay and had the alternator and batt checked and hey both passed with flying colors.. All systems are working just fine except the headlights . The switch on the dash operates the lights just fine the fog hazard daytime running turn indicators all work ... Any ideas ....:shrug:
Thanks
Demeterial
It is possible the low beam filaments in both headlights are burnt out. Check with a continuity meter. Also check that you have power AND ground at the plugs to each bulb.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
+1 on what David said.

Especially with halogen bulbs, if one side burns out, the resulting electrical spike could blow out the other side bulb.

It's the KISS Principal: = Keep It Simple Stupid

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
The headlights have a relay, and a headlight logic module.

After you check what David mentioned, then you'll need to check those.

If you switch the headlight relay with a normal relay (like the AC relay I think) The headlights should come on but not raise. That's one quick check to see if the main headlight relay is bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys I can hear the relays clicking on when I have the headlights on and when I flash the passing lights ..the high beams or low beams aren't working ... I did a visual inspection of the lights they "look" ok but haven't taken them out to test them..the headlight relay is very often warm to the touch.. I tried to trace the grounding wire from each relay and it seems to be intact..do you know where this headlight module might be. I'll pick up a voltmeter continuity meter tomorrow..I feel like a Picasso with a scratch on .. When my esprit is not working right lol..thanks for all of your input I'll keep you posted

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
FWIW: a relay can "click" and still be bad if the contacts are burned.

Swap the relay that Travis mentioned as a test...

BOTH headlamps on each side don't come on? That's an important observation. Can we assume you have tried to turn them on with the turn signal stalk (flash-to-pass) as well as the dash switch? Also note that the power for the dash headlamp switch goes through the parking lamp switch on most Esprits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for all of your help and responses. I was able to swap out the relays and the same result. When I use the flash to pass option via the stalk the lights pop up and the dash light comes on and goes off and the pop ups retract as normal..but no lights lol.. I wasn't able to swap the lights themselves out or test them today. But on visual inspection they look fine. I have considered disconnecting the battery but I haven't because I've just gotten the ecu programmed to not stall the car when I turn on the a/c and the other devices lol bit if it gets my lights back on I only have to drive my precious lotus more to reprogram my ecu ..thanks
Demeterial

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello gentlemen I has a chance to swap out the relays.. Specifically the a/c relay in place of the suspected bad ones .. The same result I tried the suspected bad ones in place to the a/c one the a/c worked fine..also I removed the module and tried to turn on the lights ... No power and no pop up... Replaced it and pop up but no lights.. The module was air tight no signs of water or that it had ever been removed ...immaculate.. Can it be as simple as the lights being blown..I've found a source for the lights ...I'll look into replacing the module.. If anyone knows a source please advise.. You guys rock
Thanks
Demeterial

·
Cal H
982 Posts
It would be strange if both high and low beams burnt out at the same time. I suppose it could happen. Just out of curiosity does your blower motor and stereo work like they should? There is one more relay known to give problems and that is the start up relay. It has a few legs to it that cuts power to certain items on start up to direct full power to the starter like the headlights, A/C, and stereo. This relay is supposed to release when the the starter stops but sometimes it gets stuck. Many times it affects all of the items, but once I saw it only affect one item.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello and yes my blower motor and stereo work just fine .. Yes I do agree it would be weird for all 4 of them to blow at one time.. The relay you mention would make sense as my lights died when the car died on the road just tooling around .. The car started up just fine but the pop up lights wouldn't come on all others lights came on and continue to work just fine ..maybe there is a reset function for this relay....is this start up relay in the same location as the others... Under the hood in front do the steering colum next to the brake reservoir...I'm sure it's something simple..
Thanks for your rapid response..
Demeterial

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Yes the relay is in the same box as the rest. If it is stuck it can be swapped with a similar one. Some times just unplugging and reinserting can reset it. but the problem might come back at a later time if you just reset it.
Start drop out relay

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks I'll take a look later..but the saga continues as now my dash lights won't come on lol.. So now my pops won't light up not will my dash... So now I have to drive slow at night cause I'm never sure how fast I'm going lol
Thanks again
Demeterial

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Check fuses 5,14, and 21
Check relays
headlamp pod delay
Main Beam relay
Start drop out relay
You got a multimeter or simple 12 vdc circuit tester?

·
Registered
744 Posts
retrace back -- did you do anything before this problems?
is it the same battery? do you have extra good battery to try?

pick one good relay & remove one at the time and try the new relay.
sometimes the relay will not kick in.

electrical problems will make an old man very old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys I have a fuse tester and tested every single one they passed.. I swapped out every relay into a the slot that operated the interior fan... So if the relay worked the fan came on..all the relays worked...I'll try to get a multimeter today..I haven't done anything except drive it. No mods no nothing.. I've been considering getting a new batt and starting over... I've had the batt and alternator tested and they both passed..I think a ground wire has shaken loose somehow.. I agree I'm aging quickly lol btw does anyone know how to open the passenger side fueling door.. I can get the passenger side open but not the driver side...
Thanks
Demeterial

1 - 20 of 56 Posts