The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys,

I think I messed something up. Yesterday while Driving my car it started to make a tick tick noise from the head area, I haven't lost power of smoking oil and no check engine lights. I think is a valve or something what do you guys think it is? I'm going to do a compression test. I guess it's time to rebuild motor with a built head.

A my car has a vf2 superchrger.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Not to sound like wisecracker but if you have a head problem you pretty much have a motor problem :D

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You need to isolate the sound precisely. Get a metal rod, touch one end to various parts (put the other end to your ear, avoid getting near belts and moving parts), head left side, head middle, head right side, block, supercharger, alternator, AC compressor, etc. What you are looking for is the "brightest" sound (the sound which has the greatest spread of frequencies, from high to low, which is associated with the noise. Determine if it is RPM dependant, (if the sound is only heard within a certain rpm range).
Often you can pin-point a fault this way and avoid removing parts which are not the cause. P.S. it does not take much to pull the cam cover and check for a wiped cam. While you are in there, you can check cam lash too. Knowing the miles on the engine would be useful as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but if i havent lost power, it still means i blew my motor?

·
He's on fire!
3,261 Posts
I've had a head problem not be a motor problem and I'm guessing I'm not the only one! :D

Not to sound like wisecracker but if you have a head problem you pretty much have a motor problem :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after using a stethoscope the noise is coming from the supercharger. im still going to check the compression and check the valves.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so its the supercharger, i removed the belt and the noise stopped. now where can i get it rebuild?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Alglez,
Good news, bad news... Magnuson performs factory rebuilds. If it is a bearing failure and the inside of the case got rubbed/damaged, that part is on back-order for MP62. How many months/miles do you have on the supercharger. Is it a M62/mp62 or a TVS1320? If it is not a warranty repair, then other shops may have stock on all parts. If you call Vision Function, I am sure they can line you up with a repair center which they recommend. Keep in mind, the service interval on both the MP62 and the TVS1320 is 50,000 miles. During the 50K service they tear it down and rebuild it, repack bearings and put fresh lube in the nosepiece.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a mp62 with 10k miles. my other option is trade it for a tvs one. :D

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If the case is scarred on the inside, be prepared to wait for a rebuild. In your position, I would be tempted to go for a TVS if Vision Function is offering you an upgrade path at only a modest cost. How many months did you have it installed?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4 months but i bought used from a member so according to him it didnt have much miles (6k and i put at least 4-5k :D), i tracked it a few times. i think im going to send it to vf and get it traded for a tvs, since the rebuild is about 1k.

i see the rebuild kits they (ebay) sell but do they actually fix it?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It depends on the damage, If you were hearing a clacking noise, then the rotors were making "inappropriate contact" which may include contact with the walls of the case. If the case or the rotors are damaged, then no consumer kit will fix it. The kits only contain: bearings, nose coupler, gasket and lubricants for the nose. If you can upgrade to TVS for 2k or less, then that is a likely winner. Just remember you are way beyond the spec the transmission is designed to survive reliably. You may have to upgrade your clutch too.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Let me make a wild ass guess, it was nearly quiet at idle, the noise became noticable above 2000 rpms.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yes at idle it sounds almost normal but when i go 2-3k its really obvious. it still boosting normal.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Nod, know the sound. Hopefully Vision Function will make you a sweet-heart deal on an upgrade. This will allow you to turn these lemons into lemonade. Right now MP62 superchargers are kinda unobtanium, till the next production run, which may not be till mid-October.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if i get to sell it outside how much it is worth? (est)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
With it's current state, not much. Wholesale (new, depending on volume of purchase) on an MP62 is around 1500 to 2000, rebuild is about 1k (plus the wait). How much would you pay for a broken, yet rebuildable, water pump or alternator?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts