The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello LT,

Just wanted to share something I found with the Elise comunity... Im am currently in the process of getting my first Elise from another LT member. I’ve been looking for stereo upgrade options from the Blaupunkt head unit, mainly because I would like to add a back-up camera and Apple Car Play.

I ran into this unit on Crutchfield.com the other day while browsing and it looks like a great option since the lcd screen position is completely adjustable. The screen is NOT motorized. I believe this will allow us to clear the a/c vents and still have room to access the a/c controls below. Once I get the car I can do measurements to confirm this.

The unit is has not been released yet but I think it will be my top choice when the time comes. Here is the link to SONY.

SONY XAV-AX8000

·
Registered
547 Posts
I went with a similar head unit. I believe is the ilxf309 from alpine. It blocks the middle vents which I don’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a similar head unit. I believe is the ilxf309 from alpine. It blocks the middle vents which I don’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks, good. I was looking and that one too and wondered how it would look installed. Whats the screen size on the Alpine?

Thank you for sharing the picture.

I forgot to mention, on the Sony you can adjust the screen angle, height and deph.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I got an universal tablet mount and re-purpose an old 7" tablet lying around at home. installed android auto on the tablet. cellphone wifi hotspot. Use bluetooth to connect to my $25 Blaupunkt toronto headunit and its USB cable to power tablet.

very cheap. the only problem is waiting for the old tablet to boot up and load android auto.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone bought one of these Sony head units and installed it yet? Would be curious to see how it fits on the dash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really like the flexibility in the configuration of the Sony's screen, however I wonder if it's too big. I also wonder how good the unit is overall as well.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have this 7" Android unit from Joying. Fits the opening perfectly... would rather it cover the hvac controls than the vents.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm looking at the Pioneers which can have the screen be mounted indepent of the box.

I am looking at these also.

I really like the flexibility in the configuration of the Sony's screen, however I wonder if it's too big. I also wonder how good the unit is overall as well.
You and I have the same concerns about the Sony. I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Pioneer flip out screen head unit in my Elise. It fits fine and looks good. Only issue is that you need to move the left hand stalk up when the screen moves in or out as it just touches it slightly..No big deal and the sound improvements are great over the Alpine one it replaced.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
I have the Joying 6.2" with 4GB ram that I purchased here for $241 on Black Friday: Joying 6.2 Inch Single Din Android 8.1 Car Stereo Radio With Built-In 4G Module | eBay

I like it because it doesn't cover the vents, the passenger airbag, and only slight obscures view to the AC knobs. The default software is decent, but you must install HeadUnit Reloaded to get good Android Auto and if you're lucky, you'll get Wireless Android Auto. I say lucky, because this device's biggest flaw is you sometimes have to get your hands dirty to do things besides the basics. The size is fine, I don't have issues reaching or pressing the wrong buttons.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Smaller screen
  • The volume buttons are annoying to use, just use the slider on the screen
  • There's broken English scattered around the apps, settings, and documentation
  • The default Android Auto software is (ZLink) is trash, install HeadUnit Reloaded, it rocks
  • My biggest gripe of all: The AUX App steals audio focus when displaying video input, so I can't have a camera on if I want to listen to music. Terrible
  • I've heard the audio quality isn't as good as other head units

Attachments

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
can you post a pic of the unit in the daytime/sunlight so it shows how much of the hvac is obscured? thanks!
Added to the original post. Sorry for the delay.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
I did the Sony XAV-AX5000 a little while ago - best option on the market IMO. I run CarPlay w Spotify 100% of the time. Obviously it covers the HVAC controls a bit, but that’s not a problem for me.
This seems quite a good, surely less janky then the Joying 6.2" I have. (Not that I mind my unit really)

After some research I cannot find support for a TPMS unit and it only offers backup camera application. Do you know if the backup camera can be turned on at any time?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts