The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting by request...had this for over a year and bought online from UK (somehow it came with a plug-and-play VW/Louts specific harness no splicing needed, maybe vendor specific?).

installation note - I had to install the DIN bracket approx 0.5 cm out instead of flush with the dash. if mounted flush, the holder will hit the vents at extreme tilt. mounting it out will allow tilt past vertical giving the holder full range of motion and better viewing angle

good - single DIN stock. colour on the unit can be changed to match the same amber colour of the dash (or flashes if you prefer disco rainbow colour!). semi-integrated solution using Waze/notification/text/music/BT using phone app (voice control of youtube which requires tapping into the parking brake wire or any 12V source). integrated cellphone holder can tilt and rotate

annoyances - NOT androidauto NOT carplay, pioneer phone app is battery intensive, only Waze or google map for navi, no SD card slot, AM reception (maybe mine is the EU version)

pictures below

Attachments

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I seriously considered this Pioneer, but I just went "cheap" and ordered this Boss Audio and the Metra harness:

I drive my Elise about 5x a year (3 kids will do that to you) and I just need something that will allow me to stream Spotify and BT to my phone. I can barely hear the stereo anyways with my 2Bular Ultra coupled with ear plugs when I'm driving on the freeways. hahaah

If this Boss craps out like the junk Blaupunkt then I may have to get this Pioneer next.

·
Registered
465 Posts
How did you mount it an extra .5cm out? Just bend the next set of tabs of the DIN bracket? I just installed mine and did it flush because I didn't think I'd use the mount that much as I have a GRP on under the dash.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you mount it an extra .5cm out? Just bend the next set of tabs of the DIN bracket? I just installed mine and did it flush because I didn't think I'd use the mount that much as I have a GRP on under the dash.
I bend some of the DIN cage tabs to create a "lip" 5mm behind the front of the cage. the lip then mount flush to the DIN opening. Or you can use spacers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used a metra spacer so that there would not be any of the exposed sheet metal chassis. It worked great.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used a metra spacer so that there would not be any of the exposed sheet metal chassis. It worked great.

This does not work on my vehicle. The DIN slot on the AC panel is slightly curved on the inner surface and prevents the spacer from bottoming out and sitting flush.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This does not work on my vehicle. The DIN slot on the AC panel is slightly curved on the inner surface and prevents the spacer from bottoming out and sitting flush.
Oh No! Do you have a picture to help us see what you are up against?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts