The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a head unit that has DVD, iPod, CD, GPS/Nav that will fit my Exige S.

I found this unit VR3 but I've never heard of this brand. Reviews for the most part are good with an occasional not so good.

I would prefer the larger LCD units, but they all would appear to hit the upper lip of the dash and just not fit.

Any and all suggestions are welcome for units that fit that have Nav/GPS.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
The JVC KD-NX5000 is the OEM Lotus choice. It does everything you're asking, with the exception of the large screen, which I haven't really minded at all.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a nice unit, but it has a Hard Drive?? I would think that hard drive's life span to be pretty short for a Lotus that is driven hard and on the track?

Have you had any problems with it?

Does it also show speed (as in 3 digits)?

I like the idea though, nice.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
That's a nice unit, but it has a Hard Drive?? I would think that hard drive's life span to be pretty short for a Lotus that is driven hard and on the track?

Have you had any problems with it?

Does it also show speed (as in 3 digits)?

I like the idea though, nice.
Nope, haven't had a problem with it and the Lotus is my DD in LA, where the streets are less than kind. And like I said, it is OEM Lotus, so I'm sure there was some thought put into the HD.

Yes, it does show speed in 3 digits, on a couple of screens.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-N3
even has a little built in lateral g meter.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a Pioneer AVIC-N4 -- looks the same just newer model.

Any fitment issues?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rice Patrol,

The pioneer unit got one good and one bad Review -- have you had any problems with the screen?

I'll check out the Pyle, but GPS is a must have.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
i have the avic - n1 upgraded to mostly n3, but its in my suv, the screens can be a little weak at the joint had it repaired once since 2004, the touchscreen gets out of calibration but i just use the old contra cheat code and recalibrate it every so often.

the screen hits the stalks when it opens so you have to shave off a few mil from the stalks, i believe the lotus sport ones are shorter.

frank/ronin has the avic in his car, so if it survives that , it'll survive anything.

the GUI on the avic drives me nuts its like it was designed by people who've never used a gps, but its not the worst of them, just average.

it has voice control that wil take you to the hospital often, and a wireless remote option, rear view camera and traffic,.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think they took the gmeter off on the N4. I belive you can buy an external plugin unit from pioneer to make it work though. I'm actually trying to find an N3 right now, in decent shape because they dont make it anymore.
The one that I have seen is in my friends Elise, and works great. Really user friendly and the G-meter is great. All flip out units will hit the wiper switch, and my friend just shaved his down. When it flips out, it rests perfetly on CLOSED ac vents and provides a lot of extra stability.
If your main concern is nav though, go with kenwood because they use Garmin satalites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts