The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for a head unit for my Excel as it had a correct Clarion but nowadays you need hands free....but the PO had mentioned how he had searched for the right one and it put the bug in my brain, oh, gee I shouldn't put some flashing light disco head unit in a 1987 car

Anyway, I ended up buying a Kenwood marine unit, because they go for a different aesthetic from car units, and it has square buttons and is silver, so it looks kinda 80's

Why do you care?

As this pertains to Elises/Exiges, marine units are meant to be in the sun, and frequently have a lit screen with dark numbers for visibility in bright sun, which makes them perfect in a topless car.

Plus they usually have coated PC boards and that cannot be a bad thing in a British car

·
Registered
1969 Elan +2
23 Posts
I just put a JVC marine unit in my '87 Esprit. I chose it because it supports a backup camera which is really a nice addition to the Esprit.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
44 Posts
I put that same JVC marine unit in my Elise. JVC KD-X560BT - Digital Media Marine Bluetooth Receiver

The connector on the back is an exact fit to the factory connector. Even had the 12V constant and 12V switched in the right spots.

Unfortunately it does not have automatic dimming in response to the factory Lotus dimming signal.
On the plus side, I was able to pull a wire from a spare connector and put it in the factory harness to give me an Amplifier power wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts