The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT / Pewter Grey / Carbon Pack / Yellow calipers + stitch / etc
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a lot of reading and have heard that throwing headers on without a tune results in anything from power loss to “it’s only beneficial.”

Of course a tune will help make maximum use of aftermarket headers, but what’s the verdict here? I want to throw the BOE headers on my 20 GT but also don’t want non ideal AFRs during track use.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
953 Posts
I haven't dug too deep, but I believe the primary cats are in the headers. Do the new ones have a cat in them? Probably not. ECU is not going to like that at all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There’s a catted midpipe and o2 sensor extenders to use that instead of the header cats

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
953 Posts
Minor flow changes like from a header, then, will probably be compensated for by the ECU in reading the MAF sensor. However, best to ask the header maker what they have observed.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Would that be beneficial then?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I did a lot of reading and have heard that throwing headers on without a tune results in anything from power loss to “it’s only beneficial.”

Of course a tune will help make maximum use of aftermarket headers, but what’s the verdict here? I want to throw the BOE headers on my 20 GT but also don’t want non ideal AFRs during track use.

You can get an bluetooth OBDII plug for $10 and download the Torquepro app for $5. Choose what to view and what to log. I log maf, water temp, intake temp, rpm, timing, short term fuel trims, long term, and AFR. I just use excel to view the data later. Very helpfull

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why would you not get a tune if you are installing aftermarket headers?

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would you not get a tune if you are installing aftermarket headers?
I would prefer to have a tune, but nobody offers one for the GT. The assumption is the 400 tunes will work, but that’s an assumption I’d love to have seen more broadly tested.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea how much louder it will be with headers? It's already pretty damn loud to begin with that's my only issue with headers.
I've thought about this, but it's also so quiet with the exhaust valve shut. Given how much sound I picked up with the 3rd decat, I'm assuming headers would only up this considerably (although I'm absolutely running a mid pipe cat; it's not worth being an emissions troll for 2hp).

One thing that makes me not worry so much is how loud GT3 RS are every time I hear them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've thought about this, but it's also so quiet with the exhaust valve shut. Given how much sound I picked up with the 3rd decat, I'm assuming headers would only up this considerably (although I'm absolutely running a mid pipe cat; it's not worth being an emissions troll for 2hp).

One thing that makes me not worry so much is how loud GT3 RS are every time I hear them.
Please let us or me know how much louder it is once you do this :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What’s the point of doing the headers if you arnt going to tune the car to benefit from them? This makes no sense.
It can make perfect sense, figuring that out is exactly the purpose of this entire post; I also answered this before your reply:

"I would prefer to have a tune, but nobody offers one for the GT. The assumption is the 400 tunes will work, but that’s an assumption I’d love to have seen more broadly tested."

And some cars are perfectly fine with headers without a tune. Half the time with many cars, you're gaining more from the more aggressive tune itself than you are the tune calibrating for the headers in particular.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,894 Posts
It can make perfect sense, figuring that out is exactly the purpose of this entire post; I also answered this before your reply:

"I would prefer to have a tune, but nobody offers one for the GT. The assumption is the 400 tunes will work, but that’s an assumption I’d love to have seen more broadly tested."

And some cars are perfectly fine with headers without a tune. Half the time with many cars, you're gaining more from the more aggressive tune itself than you are the tune calibrating for the headers in particular.
Pretty sure JUBU can do one for the GT. Go ahead and spend thousands of dollars on a header tho. To each their own.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't imagine it will be long before someone releases a tune for the GT. Or revises their 400 tune into a 4xx/GT tune. I would just wait.

Or you could get a custom dyno tune, which in most cases would be even better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pretty sure JUBU can do one for the GT. Go ahead and spend thousands of dollars on a header tho. To each their own.
You're saying "pretty sure a tune might exist" then having a bizarre problem with me potentially buying a header where nobody has objectively quantified that there even is a problem not having a tune. It's not like anyone even has shared proof that there's not a gain followed with me insisting on spending the money on it anyway.

I'm well aware that a tune will add more than no tune. A tune with no headers will be beneficial. My guess is half the power you're getting with the tune/headers combo is mostly the same power you're getting with a tune/no-headers plus a little more.

I'm more interested in better exhaust flow / having fewer cats to overheat on the track than I am running a leaner street tune for maximum power just to do short pulls on occasion. Honestly, I probably wouldn't care if headers only added 15hp but didn't mess up the AFRs without a tune.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't imagine it will be long before someone releases a tune for the GT. Or revises their 400 tune into a 4xx/GT tune. I would just wait.

Or you could get a custom dyno tune, which in most cases would be even better.
I'm thinking of the former. With the latter, it's a similar case of nobody offering off-the-shelf tunes for GTs: who's even doing custom dyno tunes for them? Quite sure I asked the whole 2 or 3 reputable shops in the US that even dyno tune Lotus.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,894 Posts
just contact jubu. See what they can do. I don’t care where you blow your money it’s your car, just saying if it were me I wouldn’t do headers until knew I could have the parts that compliment each other. Here I did a search for you in the forum and look what popped up.

FYI Jubu said :
We can offer the following tuning stages:

• 460hp (engine power - crank) on the oem ECU.
  • 500 hp with full built engine (forged pistons and rods) and our plug and play ECU kit.
  • 550 hp with full built engine and a bigger supercharger and our plug and play ECU kit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would think the only way to run headers on your GT w/o a tune would be to install them, then throw the car on a dyno with a sniffer pipe in the tailpipe. That should give you somewhat of a idea of if it leans out up top,and if so, is it still in a safe area.

possibly call BOE and see what they have to say, possibly they have run a evora with headers and no tune? I haven’t ready anywhere where someone used headers and no tune so talking to the source might be the best option. they also might let you know where they are at developing a tune for these cars.... and if you do get that info, please let us know!

Myself, I am waiting until I can do the header and a tune.... need to get the car paid off first

1 - 20 of 41 Posts