The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT / Pewter Grey / Carbon Pack / Yellow calipers + stitch / etc
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would think the only way to run headers on your GT w/o a tune would be to install them, then throw the car on a dyno with a sniffer pipe in the tailpipe. That should give you somewhat of a idea of if it leans out up top,and if so, is it still in a safe area.

possibly call BOE and see what they have to say, possibly they have run a evora with headers and no tune? I haven’t ready anywhere where someone used headers and no tune so talking to the source might be the best option. they also might let you know where they are at developing a tune for these cars.... and if you do get that info, please let us know!

Myself, I am waiting until I can do the header and a tune.... need to get the car paid off first
I should poke BOE again. I'm quite sure the first time I talked to them I asked about it with a tune and the response was "we haven't had an GTs in" / it just wasn't certain yet. I recently was talking to InoKinetic as well, who was interested in taking in my ECU as the first one for a bench tune.

If I participate in any pioneering efforts for mods / tuning a GT, I'll definitely share info on the forums.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
756 Posts
One thing I'm going to warn you with is that if you get the BOE headers jubu, komotec or whoever else overseas won't tune your car. I've come to the conclusion they don't know how to do custom tunes, just can tunes. If they did they could datalog your car and do the tune.

Odds are you'd get the headers, ask for the tune and they would try n tell you theirs.

Personally, I have the BOE headers and think they are great. I also went with a full BOE setup.

Reactions: RodneyAE

·
Vendor
1,359 Posts
Fwiw Ive run a set of headers without a tune on a V6 before. The car picks up some gains just by losing the restriction of the cats in the manifolds but nothing like it can with a proper tune.
The car was still running extra safe AFR's since they are off the chart rich to start with.
Not saying to bolt headers on without getting a tune but if you put them on while waiting for a tune it will be ok to drive.

@mikhro The sound level jumps up with headers a good amount, I havent measurent db's before and after but its a noticeable. Depending on the brand of headers it makes the exhaust note a higher pitch tone as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I spoke with BOE a couple weeks ago regarding their headers on the Evora GT. I was told they don’t have a tune for them and they didn’t give me the impression that they would pursue the means to develop a tune. I don’t know who I spoke with, but he said that Lotus has revised their ECM programming twice in recent years and BOE does not have the software to unlock it. They referred me to Greg at GRP because he has/does track an Evora. Although Greg doesn’t offer a tune himself he does offer the Komo-tec Evora400/GT programming. He is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I have purchased the BOE headers and Komo-tec 475 Tune along with other parts and I will be installing them in the next months. I plan to do a baseline dyno before I start any changes and I will document the gains (hopefully gains) as I develop the car focused on track use. I should start seeing parts in the next 6-8 weeks.

·
Administrator
8,356 Posts
I spoke with BOE a couple weeks ago regarding their headers on the Evora GT. I was told they don’t have a tune for them and they didn’t give me the impression that they would pursue the means to develop a tune. I don’t know who I spoke with, but he said that Lotus has revised their ECM programming twice in recent years and BOE does not have the software to unlock it. They referred me to Greg at GRP because he has/does track an Evora. Although Greg doesn’t offer a tune himself he does offer the Komo-tec Evora400/GT programming. He is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I have purchased the BOE headers and Komo-tec 475 Tune along with other parts and I will be installing them in the next months. I plan to do a baseline dyno before I start any changes and I will document the gains (hopefully gains) as I develop the car focused on track use. I should start seeing parts in the next 6-8 weeks.
Good to know info for all GT owners looking for performance upgrades. So it looks like KT is only tune path offered.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
84 Posts
Fwiw Ive run a set of headers without a tune on a V6 before. The car picks up some gains just by losing the restriction of the cats in the manifolds but nothing like it can with a proper tune.
The car was still running extra safe AFR's since they are off the chart rich to start with.
Not saying to bolt headers on without getting a tune but if you put them on while waiting for a tune it will be ok to drive.

@mikhro The sound level jumps up with headers a good amount, I havent measurent db's before and after but its a noticeable. Depending on the brand of headers it makes the exhaust note a higher pitch tone as well.
Thanks for the info Greg, I’m definitely looking for an option that retains a deep tone on the exhaust and not raspy/high pitch that makes it sound like a Honda at 2am.

Shame, don’t seem like anyone here in the US sees the market in these cars.
Lotus doesn’t want the aftermarket support on these cars. Which sucks because the platform has potential.
All the good stuff is getting done by Jubu and Komotec, but unfortunately their customer service isn’t as good as Gregs at GRP here in the states.
Keep us posted on how things go with you. Interested in the sound change.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yes, thats correct. I added the OEM titanium exhaust same time I added the boe headers. Didnt feel it in the seat of the pants meter, but I picked up 2 mph on the long straight at PBIR. I also dropped about .7 seconds per lap. Don’t recall exactly off top of my head; I’ll have to check my notes.
I added the GRP Titanium last weekend and I could absolutely feel the difference. I also picked up another 2 mph on the straightaway. And another reduction in lap times.

I believe the BOE with OEM titanium added power at the top of the rpm band. And the GRP opened it up across the whole RPM band.

I will get it back on the Dyno to see where it is and update.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I said in another thread that if your going to invest the time and money in headers, you should complete the package with free flowing exhaust. The GRP is definitely worth it in my situation. It is louder, even in “quiet“ mode. But it isn’t obnoxious.

When I rate exhaust as “date night” quiet, I reference it with my wife’s opinion which is, “if it sounds anything like a race car“ she’s not getting in it.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
84 Posts
I said in another thread that if your going to invest the time and money in headers, you should complete the package with free flowing exhaust. The GRP is definitely worth it in my situation. It is louder, even in “quiet“ mode. But it isn’t obnoxious.

When I rate exhaust as “date night” quiet, I reference it with my wife’s opinion which is, “if it sounds anything like a race car“ she’s not getting in it.
I’m on the 2nd batch waitlist for GRP Ti. Would really love to get feedback on the tone of the exhaust in combination with the BOE headers. Did you get the one with catted mid pipes or decat?
Also, any raspy/metallic sound or is it deeper and race like in full valve open position.
Greg mentioned the Ti sounds more exotic like, but don’t know how the headers change that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Tracktime Appreciate the responses! From your other post, it sounds like BOE headers and OEM Ti Exh is date night quiet per your wife (hah) so sounds like if I go a similar route I shouldn’t have a problem keeping the sound down when driving around town/into work when I want it to be quieter.

Was that with a mid pipe cat or without?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
@Tracktime Appreciate the responses! From your other post, it sounds like BOE headers and OEM Ti Exh is date night quiet per your wife (hah) so sounds like if I go a similar route I shouldn’t have a problem keeping the sound down when driving around town/into work when I want it to be quieter.

Was that with a mid pipe cat or without?

Thanks!!
Without mid pipe cat and yes, BOE headers and OEM Ti exhaust will roar when it’s open, but when closed is very quiet. It’s a nice piece from Lotus.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’m on the 2nd batch waitlist for GRP Ti. Would really love to get feedback on the tone of the exhaust in combination with the BOE headers. Did you get the one with catted mid pipes or decat?
Also, any raspy/metallic sound or is it deeper and race like in full valve open position.
Greg mentioned the Ti sounds more exotic like, but don’t know how the headers change that.
I’m running no cats. The first time I ran the headers and OEM Ti exhaust on the track I had several people stop me and ask what I did to the car.
I don’t know how to describe the sound. I come from high horsepower V8 American Muscle. This is the first V6 I’ve raced and played with. It doesn’t have a deep sound.
I’ll try and get some sound this week and post it up. I did get a clip of the BOE headers and OEM Ti exhaust when I had it on, but I don’t think it came out very good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm just curious: What did you do to fake out the ECU for no cats? Or are you running a different ECU?
I didn’t do anything, I have a check engine light on, but that’s it. I have a new ECU on order. Should arrive next week. I will have it flashed to my car and send to Komo-tec for their 475 tune and I will request they turn off the cats fault if they can.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
84 Posts
I’m running no cats. The first time I ran the headers and OEM Ti exhaust on the track I had several people stop me and ask what I did to the car.
I don’t know how to describe the sound. I come from high horsepower V8 American Muscle. This is the first V6 I’ve raced and played with. It doesn’t have a deep sound.
I’ll try and get some sound this week and post it up. I did get a clip of the BOE headers and OEM Ti exhaust when I had it on, but I don’t think it came out very good.
If I’m not mistaken did you say you tracked in Palm Beach International? If so, I’d like to see the car in person next time you track it.

Love to see the video when you find it.
Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, PBIR in Jupiter. We’ll be back in the track next Wednesday Dec 1st from 5 till 10pm. Also Sunday the 5th 1-5pm.
I just dropped the lotus for corner balance, ride height and track alignment this afternoon. Hopefully get it back Friday.

I use the garmin catalyst so I have a lot of actual lap footage of the car, but I don’t have a computer. I just use iPhone and iPad so it’s not possible to transfer the video.And I guess to upload video you have to first upload to YouTube??

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
84 Posts
Yes, PBIR in Jupiter. We’ll be back in the track next Wednesday Dec 1st from 5 till 10pm. Also Sunday the 5th 1-5pm.
I just dropped the lotus for corner balance, ride height and track alignment this afternoon. Hopefully get it back Friday.

I use the garmin catalyst so I have a lot of actual lap footage of the car, but I don’t have a computer. I just use iPhone and iPad so it’s not possible to transfer the video.And I guess to upload video you have to first upload to YouTube??
Sweet, I’ll see you then.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts