The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First night drive tonight and the headlights throw maybe 40 ft of light forward... very unsafe... I had to drive with high beams.

I found one thread on this a while back. Have people been successful having these adjusted? I still have 6 months warranty left... seems like a job for a tech per the manual, partly due to access.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
There's an access hole in the fender liner that makes adjusting and replacing the bulbs easier. Unless your entire headlight housings need adjusting, you can probably handle it from those holes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's definitely a DIY adjustment, the process is in the owner's manual. It's a bit tricky since you're doing it blind, I found using a socket with a hand knob worked well. The problem is adjusting them to the correct height, there's a process for that as well (set the car on level ground x distance from a wall and measure).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My owners manual said basically “take it to the dealer or you’ll break something or blind someone”.

Could I trouble you to post the page in yours? Do I remove the wheel and access from there?

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Here's what the S1 service notes (and owner's handbook) say about adjusting the headlights. I'm sure the process is the same for the 400s.

The reference to using "beam setting equipment" is probably some fancy gizmo they use at the factory. Usually the process most people follow is to park the car perpendicular to a wall 25ft away, and measure up about 4ft and place a piece of tape with an X on it. Adjust your vertical up or down until the light is even with your marks. The US doesn't get horizontal adjusters, so you can only go up and down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
There are a lot of ways to adjust headlight.

Visit Daniel Stern Lighting for one.

Me, I find a wall in a parking lot. I bring cardboard or paper to cover high vs. low beams.

I adjust straight out with a tiny downward angle and I mean TINY. Some of this depends on light pattern from fixture.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I found the same, so I drive with my brites on, had my friend drive his car towards me, can't tell they're high beams, never had an approaching car flash me. So high beam it is...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rough guide.

20 feet from a flat wall. Dipped beams just below parrallel and offset to nearside.

Check high beam, should be about right and not blindingly high.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
After replacing the lights on my Esprit, I wanted to be sure the aim was close to right...
Setup another vehicle on the driveway about 25 ft from the closed garage door after sundown. Marked the low and high beam bright marks. Swapped vehicles based on marks on the driveway. Confirmed the Esprit was essentially identical to my other (nearly new) vehicle. Called it a night. ;-)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Once you figure out the inner fender access panel (unscrew 2 of the 3 bolts then rotate the panel out of the way) and where to put your socket on the adjuster, you will be able to adjust both side in just a few minutes. I had to crank my lights up quite a bit and now am VERY happy with them. I used painters tape on my garage wall to mark where the light beams started and then raised them.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I found the same, so I drive with my brites on, had my friend drive his car towards me, can't tell they're high beams, never had an approaching car flash me. So high beam it is...
Not good idea, because you may need actual high beams at times.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
For years I just go to a quiet road up from my house and adjust till everything is just right. It is dead flat and perfect for this. Always try to get right side to project an extra 10-20 ft. But, also easy to like low beams but have overadjusted so high beams are out of touch...Balancing act I can never get right on a wall.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Yes, I forgot to mention that in deer country, I move RH lights (both beams) up a slight bit and to the right.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, so I can just turn the wheel and not have to remove correct?

Also, what size socket is it? I assume metric ;)

I'll give it a shot on this rainy weekend. If I have the dealer do it, I assume I'll be disappointed and better off doing it myself. I had the car less than a week and already removed the passenger door panel to reglue all the tabs to the panel... well, I wanted a project car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes just turn the steering wheel to full lock to gain access. 10mm socket. After you rotate the small access panel in front of the front wheel out of the way, you kind of have to reach in and find the adjuster and then you can use the socket (without a wrench attached) to turn it. Once you figure it out, it's incredibly easy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, asked the dealer to adjust since it was there for something else... they said it was set to spec and would not change it. Oh well, may have to use high beams until I get around to this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts