The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know how to do this on the Evora? My new headlamps are pointing down too much and it's hindering their function. No light shines on cars in front of me even if they are only 2 or 3 car lengths ahead of me. I need the the beam to illuminate at least the bottom half of the car in front of me.

I tried to adjust them to no avail. Behind the headlamp assembly is a round rubber cover and inside that is the ballast/bulb assembly. I feel around and there's nothing obvious I can adjust. There is nothing in the repair manual on how to do this, so I'm assuming there must be some standard procedure for this.

Is there a diagram of the rear view of the headlamp unit that I can refer to? Otherwise I may need to take the wheels off and look straight into the access port to see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
If you find the solution i'll need to do an adjustment too. The first time i took the car back for the headlight peeling issue the dumb ass tech totally screwed the factory adjustment and the headlights were pointing down so much that at night i couldn't see 5 feet ahead of me. Since then the car has gone back 3 times but now they keep saying it's already set to factory specs which i know it's not and they're not doing anything about it.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
See 3 and 4 below...

Headlamp Beam Alignment

1. Using beam setting equipment compatible with local regulations, position the machine between 300 and 700mm in front of the LH headlamp, and parallel with the two headlamp units using the sight bar or similar device dependent on the machine design, to ensure cross car match. Use the guides provided on the machine to ensure the correct height and lateral setting.

2. Switch on the headlamp dip beams and check the lateral beam alignment. The ‘knee point’ of the beam cut off line must lie within a tolerance of 2% to the passenger side, and 0%. Check the vertical alignment of the dip beam which must lie within a tolerance of -0.5% and -2%.

3. If adjustment is required, turn the steering to full lock to facilitate removal of the four screws retaining the access cover in the wheelarch liner.

4. Each headlamp assembly features two adjustment screws, one for vertical, and one for horizontal aim (USA cars - vertical only).
To adjust the beam laterally, turn the inboard adjuster screw. Turn clockwise to adjust the beam to the right. Optimum setting is 0%. To adjust the beam vertically, turn the outboard adjuster screw. Turn clockwise to raise the beam. Optimum setting is -1.2%. Re-check lateral alignment.
5. Repeat for the opposite lamp.

6. Re-fit the access cover in the wheelarch liner.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Very easy to DIY. Just remove the 3 screw cover in front of wheel well and adjust anything you want.

Considering the level of engine work you're doing this should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FWIW I just had to do this on Monday...I found out the hard way at 4 am monday morning my headlights were waaayy too low.

I couldn't easily access the knobs with the access panels (the circular ones) so instead I took off the two screws at about the 2 o clock and 3-4 o clock position that hold the wheel liner to the fender. Then pull it down (the stuff is rigid but tough and flexible) and you can slide your arm in from the fender side and it is MUCH easier.

The screws aren't really "screws" but more of knobs that stick out. They are very tough to turn with your fingers, but it can be done. They protrude and with the fenderliner loose you should be able to see it wiht a flashlight but space is tight so you have to adjust it blind. They are probably 1/2" in diameter, have a funky end (sort of like it could be used with some sort of driver) and stick out from the assembly approximately 1.5"...they're easiest to turn using the base, not the end, as you can get more friction.

I could only turn about 1/2 turn at a time as they're very tough..and don't be afraid it took me quite a few turns to get my beam levels to raise.

It took me about an hour of futzing to finally find and figure it all out. The access panels are nice and you can get to the knob from there, but I wasn't able to turn it due to the funky angle.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I felt something like knobs but wasn't sure because they felt smooth like plastic and impossible to turn with my fingers. They felt hexagonal so perhaps a ratchet could be used to turn them?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Yea those are it..they're closer to the outside of the car do they're not directly in front of the access panel.

I think some sort of socket or pliers would make it easier to turn but good luck getting one in there without taking off a majority of the fenderliner

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
also, remember that lubrication is your friend

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
I believe a 3/8 socket fits over the adjustments

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its the 10mm socket.. But instead of a ratchet just wrapped duck tape around the socket to grip it manually.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Roger that its not a true nut though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks guys. This took less than 2 minutes to adjust with your help.

Remove 2 thumb screws on the access panel and rotate the panel (on the third screw) to the side. Use a 10mm socket (fits perfect) with a universal joint and a 6" long 1/4" drive handle. Very simple and comfortable to turn the adjustment. I actually readjusted mine on the side of a dark country road and got it perfect.
Tool.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok guys.....I tried this....10mm socket and all. One seemed to move after quite some time.....the other didn't move at all...I counted 150 1/4 turns of the rachet...what am I missing? Help...now they are not only low but also uneven. I'm that guy.

Thanks.

Clayton.-eek-

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys.....I tried this....10mm socket and all. One seemed to move after quite some time.....the other didn't move at all...I counted 150 1/4 turns of the rachet...what am I missing? Help...now they are not only low but also uneven. I'm that guy.

Thanks.

Clayton.-eek-
Time to take the headlamps out entirely and diagnose. Sorry, but it's supposed to work when you turn the knobs. Nothing you can really do until you understand what is wrong. Could be stripped screws from overturning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks squid. How much of a pain in the axx is that? Considering that they have been low and uneven since I bought her and the fact that I got her with 3000 miles on the odo I suspect this was caused prior to my attempt. Was very gentle for the first 5 minutes til nothing was happening. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts