The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to take apart the headlight assembly unit, meaning the clear lens from the black inserts. Has anyone attempted this before and if so what's the easiest way?
Should I use heat to separate the glue or just cut along the edge?

So there are no confusion I'm talking about splitting the assembly in two, not disconecting from the Clam shell.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
they come apart anyway, they are not glued. to remove them you need to remove the wheel liners and there are a few bolts (6 or 7 if i remember correctly) holding the clear lens, the light bracket and the black piece. if you try and remove them from the outside you will destroy them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
they come apart anyway, they are not glued. to remove them you need to remove the wheel liners and there are a few bolts (6 or 7 if i remember correctly) holding the clear lens, the light bracket and the black piece. if you try and remove them from the outside you will destroy them.
Depends on the year. For 05s this is true.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have an '05 and the lens IS glued to the black body. There are NO bolts or screws to separate the 2 halves. I'm guessing you would have to slice the housing open somehow.

I would like to be able to separate mine just to clean the inside of the clear lens. :wallbang:

Here's a pic of the housing when I installed the "burning headlight" ring protectors. You are looking at the back or underneath of the housing in the pics.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I would like to be able to separate mine just to clean the inside of the clear lens. :wallbang:
I'm glad it's not just me. What I wouldn't do for a nice set of clear headlight housings, mine look terrible with the lights on, and I have a mere 12K on the clock.

Is this a sealing issue, or just because of the burn marks (my car has them bad, talking with a dealer about warranty now)?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me. What I wouldn't do for a nice set of clear headlight housings, mine look terrible with the lights on, and I have a mere 12K on the clock.

Is this a sealing issue, or just because of the burn marks (my car has them bad, talking with a dealer about warranty now)?
There is no gasket of any kind sealing the housing around the lights, so one would assume the dust infiltration is coming up the drain hole in the clam and then into the housing. It might do some good to put some fine gauze over the drain hole. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, yes there are no screws holding the two halves together so I have to figure a way to separate the two pieces. As to the moisture problem I'm surprised is not a bigger issue since the unit is not completely sealed, I had nightmare problems with my 00' S2000. I may have to sit for hours scraping the edge until it separates, don't want to use a grinder since it may eat through both plastic pieces, I'll keep you posted :up:

BTW where can I get this metal ring? mine is plastic.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are ALL glued together, regardless of year. No screws or bolts holding the two halves together.

I've been told (have not done this, yet) to place the headlight assembly in an oven to soften the glue. Oven is better than a heat gun because you can control the heat better. I have no idea what temp, better to start low, test the glue and slowly increase the temperature as needed until the glue is soft enough to seperate the two halves.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts