The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus Comrades:

I have a bad headlight module in an SE and have been trying to use the x-referenced GM part. So far I have tried a unit from an 88 Buick Reatta as well as a 92 Firebird. In neither case did the unit work. If a drop in a module from my friends S4 the lights work just fine - so I know the Lotus module is defective (one light goes up/one light is dead). According to my sciouring of the internet including Doc Hess's website there are two GM unites (#16505400 or # 16525685) that are supposed to work. Indeed, the unit look identical and the plugs are compatible - but as mentioned thw two I have dropped in are duds.

Recently I have come across these two on the TPS website. I am wondering if anyone out there has used either of these successfully or if they can point me to a module that they know works? It is getting expensive buying and then sending back these modules! Enclosed is a picture of the TPS modules I was thinking of trying next....

Thanks for any help or advise!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have you opened up the bad one to see what's toasted? Chances are it's the driver MOSFET, which is easily replaced.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Module

Visually, nothing looks toasted to me so it's kind of a mystery. I called JAE today and here is the bad news. Although the part is marked "made in USA" and has a GM number (16505400) Jay says that they tried stocking those and they do not work. That certainly is true in my experience. I had two used GM modules (I returned them to the sellers and indeed they did not work. Jay also said the only alternative is to send the module back to Lotus who send it to someone else to fix and charge you $350 for the repaired unit.

:sad:

You want to take a crack at fixing this thing Sanj? On the electronics front I am a zero so it's beyond me to start messing around with the circuit board. Headlights turn on....One pod actuates, one does not.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I can give it a shot, though without a schematic it might be a struggle. Send it to me and I'll see if I can figure anything out.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a huge supermarket of junk cars about 60 miles from me, that has incredible low prices, its called "Harrys U pull it" its the greatest place in the world for cheap used car parts. I bought 5 headlight modules from different cars, Fiero, Firebird etc. All looked alike none worked. Now this is probably not a permanent fix, but I wired both lights off one side of my broken module, seems to work like a champ for now. But I think that unit is supposed to sense the current draw of one motor to lock it in the up position, it works with two on one though as I now have it. Its temporary though til a find a good module to put in.

I had the same problem, one light worked, one did not. I even tried swapping electronic components in the modules around with no success. Before wiring as I did 2 lights on one side of the module.

Please post up if you find the car module that fits/works, im interested myself.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to Jay at JAE and he said that even though it is commonly said these alternative GM modules work they DO NOT work. So the alternative is to find a used Lotus module as new ones are no longer available, rebuild yours or find someone capable of diagnosing the problem and fixing it. He also said you can return it to Lotus and they will send it out to a rebuilder but it costs a fortune like $350 or so.

Given that cost it seems like there is an opportunity for an electronics maven to create a business repairing or rebuilding these units. Or alternately, since the GM units look identical to the Lotus unit, maybe someone cam figure out how to make the GM unit work in the Esprit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts