The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the passenger side headlight cover of my 2006 Exige has a crackling-like effect happening under the lens cover (see photo).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any ideas as to what could cause it?

Any fixes known?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I had it and used Lamin-x. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Looks like the black paint is separating. One more thing to worry about:(
I think you could seperate the lense, scrub the loose paint away and reshoot it but I'd expect the black to be slightly different. Not sure that would be much of an issue though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It certainly has something to do with the black finish beneath the lens. I'd have to separate the lens cover to get to it, which would be a PITA and could end up causing cosmetic damage if I bungle it. I discovered it when applying protective headlight lens covers.

At first, I thought I messed up by not removing air bubles, but once I pulled the lens cover off I realized it was a subsurface imperfection.

That headlight (passenger side) has never been struck by large road debris (would be tough to do given the separation location is at top, closest to the windshield and in an almost horizontal position), the headlight was previously removed once by the dealer for the readlight ring recall (it could have been mishandled or bumped against something then), and the car is always garaged when not in use and the elements aren't chewing on it.

I'll likely replace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts