The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth it or not?

I just got a quote for getting X-Pel film installed on the headlights & front turn indicators - $85 for the kit + $45 installation (come to you).

Any feedback or advice before I pull the trigger or pass?

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Kiyoshi,
Don't think it's worth it. It seems to me the light covers being raked back at such a steep angle that it's not likelly to take a rock hit, but guess I'm just living on the edge, as the starshield protects the paint I'll just take the chances, can always buy a new cover.

All the sports cars I've had, never had a headlight damaged from impact.

Chris

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Kiyoshi,
Don't think it's worth it. It seems to me the light covers being raked back at such a steep angle that it's not likelly to take a rock hit, but guess I'm just living on the edge, as the starshield protects the paint I'll just take the chances, can always buy a new cover.

All the sports cars I've had, never had a headlight damaged from impact.

Chris
agreed. the parts are readily available. Now when the car gets older, maybe. But for now I'm good.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris,

I'm not so worried about rock damage, but stratching over the course of time & cleaning... I've noticed that it's pretty easy to clean the bugs off Starshield, so I wouldn't have to be concerned about scratching trying to peel those dead carcasses off the lamps.

Also, I'm thinking about getting smoked film over the turn indicators, they really stand out on the darker color cars.

Kiyoshi

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I bought the light protection kit from lamin-x (headlights & turn signals). I installed the turn signal covers easily, but those headlight ones look like they'll be difficult so I haven't gotten around to that yet. I think it'll be worth it...the headlights on my wife's Jetta are already showing small pits and signs of wear after just a year. My older subaru...even worse. I think headlight film is well worth the investment, I'd rather change the film than change the headlight.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Has anyone installed the protective film on their headlights? From some other posts it looks like Randy had it installed. Randy, which one did you buy? I only have 23 miles on the car and would like to keep the headlight lenses nice and pit free.

Anyone install it themselves?

TIA

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Worth it IMHO. I just looked at the front of my Elise (1,400 miles so far) and the headlight cover is already showing pits and scratches from rock strikes! I'm going to be putting some on pretty darn quickly!

I've also noticed that the Starshield has taken quite a few hits already. The unprotected areas above the starshield already has paint chips. I attribute a large portion of that from the lifted SUVs and Trucks that seem to be popular with kids and adults alike here in Orange County.

Bob

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Sorry to hear about your headlights already showing signs of pitting. I remember when I upgraded my headlights on my e36M3 to the euro ellipsoids. Everyone said that the covers were made out of glass and would resist the pitting the stock plastic ones got. A few weeks after I installed them, I looked closely and they were pitted :( I read some of the previous posts and some were saying not to bother and that you could just replace the covers. Does anyone have any idea about how much replacement covers are? I would bet a whole lotta $$$$.

So, the main question is...who to get this kit from? Lamin-X? Xpel? I assume they are computer cut.

O, comparing the starshield from my first car (VIN 139) to my current car (VIN 1898), the Starshield appears to have less orange peel. *shrug* The install also appears to be a bit better (no bubbles and fibers underneath), but I have yet to closely examine it under sunlight.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think debris hitting our cars are a fact of life.
I just washed my car and took a look and couldn't believe how many paint chips and how many little pitts on the headlight lenses my car already has. I'm going to work on the paint chips tonight but it seems that all of this construction around my area and trucks full of rocks on the Turnpike are the main culprits in my case. Everytime I get on the Turnpike I cringe at all the stuff (rocks, dirt sand) I see flying from trucks and especially the ones that do hit my car as I'm going over 100MPH. I think every car suffers from this, but we tend to be especially mindfull of it while other car owner just don't care.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
A couple of people have reported that they are developing "spots" in their headlight covers (on the inside of the covers) that appear to be melted plastic or some other contaminant. I'm wondering if there is any correlation in the use of the film and the problem (possibly heat related?) . I think Randy is one with the spots, and he has the film on his lights.

The heat has been my only concern with getting the headlight film - that and procrastination... :eek:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
TimMullen said:
A couple of people have reported that they are developing "spots" in their headlight covers (on the inside of the covers) that appear to be melted plastic or some other contaminant. I'm wondering if there is any correlation in the use of the film and the problem (possibly heat related?) . I think Randy is one with the spots, and he has the film on his lights.

The heat has been my only concern with getting the headlight film - that and procrastination... :eek:
I saw the same thing on mine. I'd attribute that to the black plastic gassing off and probably gassing from the adhesive they use to bond the pieces together.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
TTP said:
If I recall correctly they are $600 for each housing. You can't just replace the lens. The lens and black housing are bonded together. Lamin-X is worth it.
O...well, I guess I'm talking in standard car terms :) Usually a headlight has not only the housing, but the internal guts as well. When I was referring to the covers, I was referring to the lens as well as the plastic, etc...just not the projectors, bulbs, etc. ...as you can see in the pics here:

http://www.trix.com/Elise-HID/

But $600?!?!?! Um...yeah...sign me up for some protective film!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
This is the thread I was talking about with the "spots" on the headlight covers...

Does anyone with film have the "spots"?

Do the people with the "spots" not have the film?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.