The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 Esprit recently started making weird clicking sounds for about 4-5 seconds after the headlights are raised or lowered.
The lights raise and lower normally as requested it's just this clicking sound afterwards that has me concerned.

Any ideas?

:)

·
S4s
697 Posts
The headlight motor is the same as 1987-1988 Fiero, 1987-1992 Firebird, 1988-1991 Pontiac Sunbird, 1988-96 Corvette, GML-1, GMR-1. There are some sacrificial nylon bushings inside the breakdown over time.

You can find a replacement kit on ebay (search: "corvette headlight bushing kit"). If you don't want plastic ones, there are some metal ones out there. But be aware that metal ones could cause your motor to burn out if for some reason the headlight pod doesn't realize it is closed or open all of the way and the motor keeps trying to run. Thus why they used nylon bushings and gears.

The replacement is so easy, even a kid can do it :ROFLMAO: :

·
1986 Esprit Black/Red
29 Posts
Not all pucks are created equal. This kit was recommended to me. Disclaimer: I never bought it because it turned out I had the older style motors in my 86 Esprit without the pucks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The clicking sound is the shaft continuing to rotate inside the busted up "gears." I ordered the Fiero headlight motor from RockAuto. The picture at their website looked just like the Esprit's......but the shafts are different lengths which you can't tell from the picture. One must open up the motor housings and then exchange the long for short shaft in the nylon?/plastic "gear" - easy reassembly but line up all parts in the process. I think I put a little grease on the plastic gears before closing up. I needed to stuff a big rag behind the headlight assembly to have it in the upright position when reconnecting the finished motor. The stops did not need readjusting as I remember it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts