The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a posted procedure online for the headlight rebuild job? I found the one on Esprit World but that’s focused on removal and replacement of the motor. What I need is the actual motor rebuild procedure, preferably with some decent pics. Just got the replacement brass gear and the white pucks in the mail to do the job but no instructions included unfortunately.

Thanks
Eric

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Reactions: 04ESPRIT

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks @carbuff. And you are correct, I got it off of eBay. Probably should have checked with you all first!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
And, for the benefit of those who run across this in a SEARCH, the actual motor/'puck' refurbishment begins at about 5:40 in the vid, above.

As mentioned ~10:45, there is a lip on the inside of the white gear that causes the difficulty removing it. I ground a spot on that lip so that the NEXT time, removal will be much easier.

·
My car sneezes
652 Posts
And, for the benefit of those who run across this in a SEARCH, the actual motor/'puck' refurbishment begins at about 5:40 in the vid, above.

As mentioned ~10:45, there is a lip on the inside of the white gear that causes the difficulty removing it. I ground a spot on that lip so that the NEXT time, removal will be much easier.
Or you can slightly loosen the two bolts securing the electric motor to the housing, separate the motor slightly from the housing (if you pull it all the way out the brushes will come out and they are a bit of a challenge to install although not impossible). This will pull the worm gear away from the big gear, enough to where the big gear goes out and back in with no interference,

For replacement inserts, if you want OEM, Dorman part number 74410 gets you OEM gel bushings. If you want longevity though, the delrin bushings are the way to go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those who need to do the headlight motor rebuild...consider yourselves warned! 🤣

Good news is that the results are positive. 😬

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
What, no stitches? You had it easy! 😈 :p

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Try working on a Delorean inside the doors. The edges of the S/S are like a razor blade. You don't even notice the cuts till you see red juice all over the place and then you look at your hands to see where it is all coming from! Or you can do it like the wimps that wear mechanic's gloves do and tear them up. Go get a Tetanus shot, some Neosporin and Band Aids. You'll be fine. If you want it to look professional clean all of the blood up from the car. It creeps out some people to see it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grease free knuckles too. You're just getting started.
Oh I’m definitely used to scraped knuckles. Been working on vehicles my entire life, but I think this was definitely a record for the most cuts on one relatively small job! 🤣

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When was your last blood offering? You were likely overdue...
Actually offered some up to the Studebaker Gods last weekend pulling the supercharger. But this was definitely the first offering to the Lotus Gods. 😜 Fixed the horns today and got away with zero cuts. Maybe yesterday’s job satiated their blood lust for the time being.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts