The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone come across this problem before? (ok dumb question), but is there a way to solve or fix the fading black trim around the headlight? it seems to be the plastic on the outside just fading grey....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That could be headlight outgassing. Remove your headlight, and wipe it off from the inside. The Black perimeter(top part of pic) could also be the fog. There is about a small gap between the black, and the clear top cover. (you cant seperate the black from the clear) I used a qtip to clean that part. You might be able to find the right cleaner, and just use that to get to the hard to reach part. Outgas fog is just oil from the black plastic. It will look brand new when your done.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Mine look like that too. I may give the 3m headlight restoration a go... I tried it on some BMW headlights and wasn't really satisfied with the results, but those pics of the lotus headlights look promising.

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
I use 3M too. It's good.

I've done more than 20 kit on customer's car and learn from it. Make sure the rpm not too high, I'd say about 300-500 is ideal with very light pressure. Take about 30 min each light.

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
I use 3M too. It's good.

I've done more than 20 kit on customer's car and learn from it. Make sure the rpm not too high, I'd say about 300-500 is ideal with very light pressure. Take about 30 min each light.
lol, I wish it was only 30 minutes a light.

probably took me around 3 hours per light from start to finish, just about what thechazz said it took to do his. But then again, mine did look horrible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lotus Rules.....................

I contacted Lotus USA and talked to this engineer. Mine is an 06 and they replaced the entire headlight assm. I then turned around and sold the bad lights on this site for 700.00.....

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine were well past the stage where headlight restoration kits would work. I tried 3 of them and none of them did anything. So I ended up sanding down the lens in 3 stages. I THINK they were 800, 1000, and 1200. Then I sprayed a few coats of clear coat on them and they were good as new.

If you choose to go this route, take the lenses OFF the car!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts