The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and have found instructions for removing the headlights but can't find where anyone has actually done it. It looks easy with just a wheel removal and unfastening a few brackets through the wheel well that fasten the lights in place. Can anyone confirm how easy this is? I had the headlights clearbraed to prevent peeling but they did not wrap the edges as I requested. I am considering removing the headlights and bringing them individually so that the edge wrapping will be easier.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have searched and have found instructions for removing the headlights but can't find where anyone has actually done it. It looks easy with just a wheel removal and unfastening a few brackets through the wheel well that fasten the lights in place. Can anyone confirm how easy this is? I had the headlights clearbraed to prevent peeling but they did not wrap the edges as I requested. I am considering removing the headlights and bringing them individually so that the edge wrapping will be easier.
Its really easy after the wheel liner is out and wheel is off. I would suggest having 2 people since it would be a lot easier to have someone looking at the headlight alignment while you tighten the bolts going back in.

·
Registered
471 Posts
removal ...easy....

replacement.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
You can actually remove the headlight without removing the wheel. Just steer to the left, or right to make room for the short snub screwdriver to remove the wheel liner. Becareful as the screws that hold the liner are made from plastic. You may have to buy replacement screws as they break, or become ineffective.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will report back with my findings. Hopefully the headlight underneath the film will be fine and not peeling since the film has only been on a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
6,978 Posts
EASY BUT A PIA!!! to align that is. Too bad they made bumper removal such a process with those semi hidden upper bolts!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Small problem. Attempted to take them out tonight and started with driver's side. Liner took forever but finally got it off. I have no idea how to get to the front attachment points for the headlight and also can't really get to the washer fluid attachment to the sprayer incorporated into the headlight. It looks like the IPS transmission cooler is in the way and must be moved. I am assuming that everyone else has done this has done it on a 2010-2011 NA without any oil or transmission coolers since they seem to block the forward attachment points on the headlights. Am I missing something? If you have to remove the cooler and associated lines to get to the headlights they just became a much larger task.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
To make it easier for yourself or the person holding the headlamp while you remove the last 2 bolts...

Use your gopro suction cup mount to hang onto it. Makes it cake and it doesn't fall into the bumper.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a good tip if I could figure out a way to get to the last two bolts. I am planning to just button it back up tonight and throw in the towel.

·
Premium Member
6,978 Posts
Reinstalling is the real treat trying to reach in and place those 2 front lateral screws while holding it still. STUPID DESIGN. They should have had a horzintal extruded weld on frame to sit thew headlight on. If you have beefy forearms .... good luck!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since we are talking headlight removal. I have an issue and looking for help. I had the headlight peel problem and Gator Motorsports did a great job redoing them and putting on PPF so I never have to worry about that again. My issue now that is driving me crazy is the inside of the drivers lens is cloudy on the passenger side (not related to Gator MS) - as the car gets older, it gets cloudier. I wonder who can fix it. You can't bake it because the ballast and LEDs are built in.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Since we are talking headlight removal. I have an issue and looking for help. I had the headlight peel problem and Gator Motorsports did a great job redoing them and putting on PPF so I never have to worry about that again. My issue now that is driving me crazy is the inside of the drivers lens is cloudy on the passenger side (not related to Gator MS) - as the car gets older, it gets cloudier. I wonder who can fix it. You can't bake it because the ballast and LEDs are built in.
Cloudy as in moisture collecting on the inside? That's a common occurrence and can be resolved with a few small silica packs tucked into the enclosure behind the bulb cap (away from any hot areas though).

All of the internal components can be removed once you separate the halves of the headlamp assembly. The lens comes off rather smoothly with the application of heat from a moving heat gun and some plastic prying tools.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn’t say moisture because I never seen droplets; trust me, I probably wash the car more than I should. It is more like the film that develops on the inside of windshields over time. I guess the previous owner started noticing it too because I can see a fingerprint that touched it too from the bulb hole. Also, I don’t trust myself to pry and reseal, anyone know a good company? I wonder if Gator MS does this too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts