The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I buy regular replacement bulbs from Autozone....they are kind of an odd format....H1. The Autozone only sells one brand and type of that size.

I disabled my daytime running lights since I was only getting about 3-4 months out of them before they would burn out....and I also found that after about 1.5-2hours of being on the SPM box inside the dash would overheat and start acting up either flashing the lights on and off on bumps or sticking either on or off for random amounts of time.

Now I only use the headlights at night and the rest of the lights have not acted up at all.

·
Registered
860 Posts
headlights online

Where can I buy a replacement bulb online? My left bulb went out :(

If the daytime running lamps weren't on all the time, maybe I'd still have life left in them.
Tim provided the following for me while trying to find replacement tail light bulbs:

Here's one source: Service Lighting Bulb Finder - search for your light bulb by specifics like watts, volts, bulb type or base type.

I tried ussing their online search, but was unable. I sent them an E-Mail with the bulb specs, and they responded with a link to the required bulb to order.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I buy regular replacement bulbs from Autozone....they are kind of an odd format....H1. The Autozone only sells one brand and type of that size.

I disabled my daytime running lights since I was only getting about 3-4 months out of them before they would burn out....and I also found that after about 1.5-2hours of being on the SPM box inside the dash would overheat and start acting up either flashing the lights on and off on bumps or sticking either on or off for random amounts of time.

Now I only use the headlights at night and the rest of the lights have not acted up at all.
Pretty ridiculous. I have a 1996 Saab with 120K miles that has not needed replacement DRLs ... but my Elise needs them after 9 months and 5K miles. Whoever said the Brits don't do well with electronics?

Plus after driving for a while, it warms up inside the headlight assembly and there's all sorts of condensation inside.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
if there is condensation, then take the lens out and clean it up. It is pretty easy to do. When you put it back together make sure the seal is set all around the light. This is a pretty easy job.

Also, I had no trouble finding the bulb at the local auto parts stores. They had several options. In fact, the guy said it was a common bulb. H1 is correct. I went a brighter than stock version, and have no desire to upgrade to HID's at this point.

I adjusted the lights too, which is pretty easy as well. I took the covers off, then drove down to a spot I could adjust them. Then I came home, jacked the car back up and put the covers on. In total, about a hour to replace and adjust the lights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd consider getting HIDs put in...it's not too expensive now and makes a HUGE difference! Just had mine done a few weeks back and the difference was incredible.

$150, a few friends and a tool set is all you need for the install

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did not know that! Thanks.

Do you happen to know if the H7 is better,brighter, and/or interchangeable?

For the reconrd, I have a 2006.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone used a 100W European bulb in lieu of the 55W US version?
I've run 80 and 100 watt bulbs in several cars in the past. They burn out much faster then the standard wattage bulbs, like 3 to 4 X as fast. Doesn't matter much if sourced from asia or europe. I'd go with HID's if your application is hard to get to.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Someone educate me on HID's please. Aren't they heavier than stock? Isn't there some extra parts to them?

After a headlight adjustment, I find the stock set up to be adequate.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
HID is brighter but has a wider focal point.
It's crucial to get a match in location, of course.
Many HID lamps use a totally different setup, and on many cars perform worse than quartz.
A lot of people have expressed satisfaction with them on the lotus.

They always require a ballast.
They make wonderful work lights and reverse lights.
Output is identical to 100 or 150 watt quartz depending on bulb.

I don't think a xenon bulb can get twice the light.
Hella has claimed 33% to 50% improvement with filament changes.
I use mostly Narva and Philips and some Hella.
Life can always be traded for brightness.
I have some 70/80 watt 9004s from Comp Limited.
Never had one fail, but had the crap plug melt on one car.
Better ones are out there.

Aardvark is a source for Narva and Cibie/marchal.
I suggest the Marchal Radar for anything large enough to use it.
Good for up to 100 watts normal use.

Greenfield has a wide selection of wattages.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Do you happen to know if the H7 is better,brighter, and/or interchangeable?
Nope - just different. Different mounting, similar bulb, similar brightness.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Here just an example, double the output of your head lights for just $20-30;
Be careful there - besides being higher wattage (and the problems associated with that), the bulbs linked are all "Blue". Blue tinted lights appear to be brighter when you look at them, but the reality is that they put out less light - actually the blue tint filters the light and limits the color output of the light. That in turn limits the light that gets out, and as importantly, reflected back to you for your eyes to "see".

Any (ALL) blue tinted light will put out less light than a similar clear bulb for the same wattage.

But the blue colored bulbs look "cool", so the ricers add them to their cars so that they look better - forget about actually seeing better... :shrug:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
You ( CAN ) disable your DRL's .....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts