The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the other messages and been completely confused by all of the technical jargon in the messages. My lights simply do not shine far enough ahead of the car. Can I just have them adjusted a little higher or are there other issues here? They seem to be bright enough, just not aimed properly. Can I do a small adjustment myself or do I need some sort of proper device?

I do not want to argue the merits of different bulbs or HID kits, or optics or lumens. I just want to hear what others have done that they would seriously recommend. Driving with my high beams on all of the time is not an option.

TIA,

jjb

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The headlight are easy to adjust..try a search for the procedure. Basically you have to remove an inner wheel liner (wheel stays on) and then remove the three fasteners holding the headlight covers on. Then the bare lamp frames are exposed so they can be adjusted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jjb said:
I have searched the other messages and been completely confused by all of the technical jargon in the messages. My lights simply do not shine far enough ahead of the car. Can I just have them adjusted a little higher or are there other issues here? They seem to be bright enough, just not aimed properly. Can I do a small adjustment myself or do I need some sort of proper device?

I do not want to argue the merits of different bulbs or HID kits, or optics or lumens. I just want to hear what others have done that they would seriously recommend. Driving with my high beams on all of the time is not an option.

TIA,

jjb
Since all of our cars should still be covered, get the dealer to fix them.

The dealer re-aimed mine.

Get them to do it and if you are still not satisfied then do it yourself (i'm generally a do it yourselfer)
Vince

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Get them to do it and if you are still not satisfied then do it yourself (i'm generally a do it yourselfer)<<<

I try to do stuff myself when possible. It just saves SO MUCH time. For example I tweaked my passenger side window in way less time than it takes to drive to the dealer, one way!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
But the bottom line is, the headlights need adjustment. It either common, or they are all like that - I think they are all too low, but some are way off (mine was adjusted way off laterally as well as vertically). You can do it, or have the dealer do it under warranty.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
you would think this would be addressed in assembly. surely it has been posted enough that the lads have read about it by now. i am yet to adjust mine. maybe this weekend. although i have mind to make the dealer do it as i requested it at the first service and they told me. get this... wait for it... they did not have the proper tool to do the alignment! i laughed at the guy but did not go on to tell them how to do it. so i may stop in there when i am next in atlanta and tell them to do it- with instructions of necessary

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
LotusLust said:
you would think this would be addressed in assembly.
But it is. They have to do it "legally". The headlights have to be adjusted so that with a full load in the boot, the lights do not shine too high - unfortunately, that means that the rest of the time, they are too low. I don't plan on having anything other then the top stored in the boot, so mine are now adjusted for that condition...

·
Registered
557 Posts
My left headlight is way too low and my right one shines down the road to the right hitting road signs way to far ahead and to the right, so I know it is bothering cars in front of me to the right.

We must look real stupid coming down the road at night with our lights pointed in all different directions but where they should be, and even more surprising when they notice we are an expensive looking car wtih BAD headlight adjustments.

HA HA on Lotus set up. rotfl

This is on my to-do list for this winter to fix.

BTW- I asked my dealer to do this for my 1000 mile checkup, and they either didn't do it or forgot to. They must know they are bad!

Bruce

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
BMJM100 said:
My left headlight is way too low and my right one shines down the road to the right hitting road signs way to far ahead and to the right, so I know it is bothering cars in front of me to the right.
This describes my Elise lights exactly.

The left one is far too low, and the right one nicely lights up the outward part of the street I'm not driving on.

I can look into the projector housing and see an odd-shaped black piece of plastic with a "tier" shape...

_______/------------

Something like that. I'm guessing it's this vile piece that is chopping out the "V" pattern from the useful part of the lights.

I'm sure this is all Lotus Wisdom or some weird DOT law, but holey shite these are horrible lights. There is No Light where I need it, none.. Imagine taping an index card over your otherwise useful headlights to notch a "V" out of each one. Drive like that and wonder.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I'm sure this is all Lotus Wisdom or some weird DOT law, but holey shite these are horrible lights. There is No Light where I need it, none.. Imagine taping an index card over your otherwise useful headlights to notch a "V" out of each one. Drive like that and wonder.<<<<

Actually the lenses have an above average quality light pattern. The trouble is the cars come delivered with the aim too low. The pattern itself is fine and what many other Euro cars use in Europe.

When the aim is corrected, such a pattern allows you to put more light on the road with the sharp cutoff allowing oncoming traffic to see and not be blinded by your lights.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Ground Loop said:
This describes my Elise lights exactly.

The left one is far too low, and the right one nicely lights up the outward part of the street I'm not driving on.

I can look into the projector housing and see an odd-shaped black piece of plastic with a "tier" shape...

_______/------------

Something like that. I'm guessing it's this vile piece that is chopping out the "V" pattern from the useful part of the lights.

I'm sure this is all Lotus Wisdom or some weird DOT law, but holey shite these are horrible lights. There is No Light where I need it, none.. Imagine taping an index card over your otherwise useful headlights to notch a "V" out of each one. Drive like that and wonder.

actually, that pattern is normal for projector housings..the pattern would be opposite in europe where people drive on wrong side of the road..:)...the upward beam pattern is to illuminate signs and deer and etc without the risk of blinding oncoming traffic...what the prob seems to be is that drivers side beam pattern is way too low...as I have stated at nauseum, adjust your stock lights correctly and if still not happy, go ahead and break the law and do HID upgrade...:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fogs...

Has anyone done the Fog/Driving lights from factory yet?
Bruce

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Get your screw driver out and adjust them the way you like.

When adjusted properly, I find them to be excellent lights, and I'm used to HIDs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Get your screw driver out and adjust them the way you like

Did you have to jack up the car first to remove the inner fender wall?

Bruce

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Just crank the wheel to the right all the way for the right light and crank to the left for the left light.

Then it is just the three Philips screws (the two on the bottom are those "insert style" so once you get the screw out about a half inch the just pull out). Then you use an allen head to release the headlight cover.

Really good instructions can be found here:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/modifications/adjustheadlamps/adjustheadlamps.html

I didn't do all the fancy alignment steps described above; I just guessed and it took two tries to get them the way I like.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks! I went to that sight, very good detailed.

Bruce

1 - 18 of 18 Posts