The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadn't seen this on the forum (I strive for uniqueness). This past weekend I took the Evora out for an errand. Forecast was for a chance of a shower. Ten minutes later the heavens opened into a wall of water. I believe it's know as a gully washer here in North Carolina. Noah would have said "that's a real rainstorm!". You get the idea.

Got home and put the car back into the garage. Since then, when I drive the car the headlights (and taillights and side markers) are on. I push the button and get the little green light to go on/off, but doesn't seem to matter. High beams work so I don't think it has anything to do with the switches.

Any ideas? Typically this type of an electric problem usually causes things to Not work. Another case of a British car that can't handle water? Could be worse I guess and they be stuck off.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
They are supposed to be on. Look under DRL's here.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,436 Posts
Yes, unless you do the DRL mod they are always on. That being said, one thing is that high beams won't stay on unless you actually push the headlights button. Then...you have to turn it off.
I did the DRL mod on my 2011 and had to always touch the lights somehow for use. Very nice and controllable. On my 2012 I have not done the mod and don't think I will. I just get in and drive. I never touch the lights. I only touch them if i actually need high beams (and then I have to turn them off).

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure the tail lights and side markers were not always on though. When I drove into my garage the lights notably came on and that doesn't happen now.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and I do turn the lights on via the headlight button when it is raining and not dark enough for the to automatically come one. It just seems like this is a change in behavior now. Are people telling me the tail lights and side marker are always on in the daylight?

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
When the engine is started, the following day time running
lamps will automatically be activated: Front and rear sidelamps,
side marker lamps and headlamp low beams. The sidelamps
tell tale will also be lite (see above). Note that the headlamp main
beams will not be operational until the master lighting switch is
pressed, which will be confirmed by the corresponding tell tale.
When the ignition is turned off, the DRLS will switch off automatically,
but not if the engine stalls. lf the headlamps have
been manually selected, the lights will remain lit until the master
lighting switch is pressed.

Guess my powers of observation over the past 9 months of ownership
are not all that great. I stand corrected

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, one more reading, doesn't say the tail lights should be lit.... mine definitely are. :scratchhead: What is the consensus on that?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Tail lights and side marks are always on as well. It's just as if you've turn them on on a normal car than has the option to turn them on or off.

I know, it drove me crazy when I got my first Evora. I thought something was wrong with the car.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, now I totally understand the DRL mod. Guess I never really walked around the car when it was running.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Ok, now I totally understand the DRL mod. Guess I never really walked around the car when it was running.
Your confusion is understandable. You've been conditioned to screwy Lotus electrics by your Elite and 7.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.