The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh ok. Then I'm considering slicing that fabric in the area that'll be hidden by that front trim piece. Spraying some headliner adhesive or fabric adhesive and hoping it sticks. Don't really have much to lose. And the cut I make will be hidden.
I think you're wasting your time. If it starts to sag in one area, the rest of it will eventually start to sag too. One way or another the headliner is coming down.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Even if you had access, you're missing the fact that the back side of the material (the foam) is what the adhesive is made to stick to...that's the only reason it's there. So if you spray the adhesive onto the part where the foam is supposed to attach to the material, you get a wet, sticky mess. Feel free to try it though. But for $350, why not get it done properly? If you can even notice those kinds of digits change in your bank account, you're driving the wrong car.
Wrong assumption. More that I prefer not putting my car in the hands of others.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Wrong assumption. More that I prefer not putting my car in the hands of others.
Your car was built by the hands of others. Be smart enough to realize you're not the best at everything. Let the upholster do his job, and it'll get done right, or botch it yourself (unless you're an expert). Your choice.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Your car was built by the hands of others. Be smart enough to realize you're not the best at everything. Let the upholster do his job, and it'll get done right, or botch it yourself (unless you're an expert). Your choice.
The hands of others at the factory! I guess I shouldn't change oil, filters, brakes, etc..? Perhaps I will opt for a "pro" to take care of the headliner but want to look at options first. Also some satisfaction of doing things on your own.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
The hands of others at the factory! I guess I shouldn't change oil, filters, brakes, etc..? Perhaps I will opt for a "pro" to take care of the headliner but want to look at options first. Also some satisfaction of doing things on your own.
Not the same sport and you know it. If you think changing your oil and re-attaching a headliner are on par, good luck to you.

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
319 Posts
Mine started sagging as well so I decided to pull it off myself. The headliner came off relatively easily and I used an Xacto to trim the edges. Like everyone else said, its the underlying adhesive that's a pain in the ass to remove. I spent most of the summer working on it off-and-on as I had a time and patience. After trying just about every chemical available, the thing that I found worked the best was spraying Goo-Gone and letting it sit for about 10 minutes, then using a heat gun to soften up the adhesive and rubbing the adhesive off - either with a towel or just my fingers (though doing with your fingers will rub them raw quickly).
Fortunately, I found a pretty nicely painted roof. It had a bit of weird texture, and kind of matt coating, but when the top is on the car, neither of those things are noticeable. I think it looks pretty nice. I figured if I ended up not liking it - or if it was too loud - I could just bring it to an upholsterer at a later date.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Guys I just had my headliner redone at a hole in the wall upholstery shop in Ontario, California called Ron's Upholstery for $150. He had my hard top for 2 weeks, but did a great job!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I too wondered that, until I tried it. The headliner is not sagging because the adhesive is failing...it's sagging because it's made from 2 plys of material which are separating from each other. So just the outside layer is sagging while the inside layer is firmly glued.

I'm taking mine to a shop this week in fact to have it re-done.
I feel like a more accurate description (at least in my case) would be to describe the sagging liner as a middle foam layer disintegrating. I feel like it's three layers - one gauze-like adhesive layer stuck to the headliner, a middle foam layer (the thickest layer), and an interior-facing felt layer. You could try and respray that middle layer, but I'm under the impression that the foam will continue to disintegrate.

Reactions: VisualEchos

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Guys I just had my headliner redone at a hole in the wall upholstery shop in Ontario, California called Ron's Upholstery for $150. He had my hard top for 2 weeks, but did a great job!
What material did you end up having installed?

I've been to two local shops, and the usual headliner materials look cheap. One shop showed me Street Suede, and he quoted me 650-700 dollars to do the top and the 3 trim pieces.

The black Street Suede looks TOO black compared the the graphite mouse fur of the stock headliner.

I just want this done right and look better than the stock fur!

Can't seem to find the right material yet.

any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just picked up the OEM headliner material. I was expecting it to be 2ply as many mention the foam backing failing. This looks more like the felt material but the backside is the same just slightly different texture. Wondering if there is another piece?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I ended up going with a synthetic suede and love it. I looked for a match to the OEM material and couldn't find it. Considering I know it will fail over time anyway, I'm glad I went with this synthetic suede. I ended up having the door cards done in the same material.

Yes, the OEM headliner had foam backing which was disintegrating into dust, that's why the whole thing eventually fails. Maybe the piece you bought is an "improved" version of the OEM material.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Years ago I took my hardtop off and tore out the sagging headliner, I then used 3M adhesive remover (check amazon), worked like a champ just got to take your time and do it in a well ventilated area cause it does smell (goes away after a few days). Then I used black Truck bedliner spray and it turned out real nice .

Pics taken today:

you may notice a slight bit of ardent red line showing between the front hardtop padding and the roof from the pic I took with flash but in real life you won't see that line its just all dark and keeps with the theme of the interior. Its tough, I imagine its a little lighter than the original headliner and I won't have to worry about headliner sagging anymore for the hardtop.

taken with flash on:

I thought about taking it to a upholstery shop but its easy enough to tackle at home with a simpler and lighter solution.

Happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
It looks like the headliner material is available on lotuspartsonline.com

21 - 38 of 38 Posts