The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been wanting to see a Chrome Orange car in person and Jim from Fox Valley was nice enough to call me this afternoon and let me know that they had just received a truckload of cars including one in CO. Working from memory, they had three in yellow, two in Graphite Grey, and one each in Starlight Black, Silver, Ardent Red, and British Racing Green. One of the yellows had the sports package, and most had touring with various interior colors.

To my surprise the Chrome Orange didn't look anything like I had expected. I have tons of pictures of it in CO, and none of them represent it very well at all. I was expecting it to be a nice bold, vibrant orange, but it is much lighter in person. Basically a sherbet orange color. Neither my wife or my sister who were with me thought that it looked good on the car in person. As soon as I saw it I knew that wasn't the color for me. Of all the colors I think that silver shows off the lines of the car the best, but that Ardent Red was the best color overall. This was surprising to me as well, because Ardent didn't look good in any of the pictures I had seen.

It's a two hour drive for me with traffic, but I'm really glad that I went down. I'm REALLY glad that I saw a Chrome Orange car in person and it's always fun talking to the guys at FVMC.

They parked them all out front while they await PDI tomorrow and it's quite a sight. If anyone's in the area and wants to see more Elises in one area than you'll see together for quite some time you'll have to get there soon. You can also see them somewhat on their live webcams (http://www.foxvalleymotorcars.com).

--Josh

P.S. My wife took some pics - if anyone wants to see them let me know.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
JWA said:

P.S. My wife took some pics - if anyone wants to see them let me know.
Of course we want to see them:D

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get the pics uploaded and post them in a bit.

The BRG car is their demo and all of the others are customer cars sold at msrp. That's why you'll need to get there soon if you want to see them, they'll all be delivered over the next few days.

--Josh

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the pics. The originals are 1600x1200 - let me know if anyone wants them full sized.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's amazing how Chrome Orange just photographs differently than it appears in person. I did a quick photoshop that on my monitor better fits the actual color as my wife (A graphic designer) and I remember it. In person it is much lighter, more washed out and slightly peachy.

In pics Chrome Orange looks more like what I assume Lava Orange actually looks like. Maybe someone needs to start a Lava Orange Mafia and lobby to get Lava to replace Chrome as a Lifestyle Color next year...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Based on what I could see from the live feed, it looks like at least 6 of the 9 are base suspension cars. Did any have the Sport Package?

Greg

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only the one yellow (parked on the very far end) has LSS. My wife got a pic of it (above),

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Hmm....my car is far from washed out or "peachy" looking......and certainly doesnt look like your photoshopped version. :confused: Mine is bright, bold and vibrant, almost blindingly so. Oh well.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Monitors and video cards vary. For me, the pics of Chrome Orange look just like the car.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The top pics look ok but his photoshop looks all wrong to me, and his description sounds all wrong to me too....sherbert? Maybe its the sunlight in the midwest or something? The picture above looks like a washed out rag to me. Ive seen my car in complete overcast and it never looked that drab. Wonder if there are paint variances too?

few more pics
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5487

Mine looks JUST like this pic

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
That is what I meant and said poorly. The pics like you just posted, look like the car in real life. Fabulous.

I consider it a creamsicle look... with an incredible ability to shift based on the light. I guess maybe it does have some sherbet in it, but I like it.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removing equipment variances from the equation - The Road & Track article in the August '04 issue shows a CO car that appears much bolder orange than the CO car was in person. The same car was also pictured in the September '04 Sports Car International and there it appears to be even darker. I love the orange as it appears on the cover of that SCI and was hoping that it would be similar, but it really wasn't.

OneFastLotus, do you by chance have that issue of SCI? If so, isn't that color a lot different than your actual car? I'm not saying that it was bad, but it was not at all what I expected and just not for me.

--Josh

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OneFastLotus, those are great pics. I don't know how I missed those when you originally posted them. I saw the car in direct and non-direct sunlight and in the shade, and I really wish that it looked like those pics do on my monitor.

FWIW, the Ardent Red and Graphite Grey both looked a lot different in person than in pics too. I was thinking that maybe it is related to the scale of the car. For example, the Chrome Orange paint on the Elise was very similar to the orange on the Murcielago across the lot, but it just looked much better on the Lambo to me. I thought that maybe it might have just been that the scale of the car affects the color perception. The larger mass of the color maybe appeared more vibrant than the similar color on a smaller area. Who knows, but I was dissapointed that I didn't like it as much as I expected.

The CO did have a very nice pearlesent metallic to it in the sun and was a great paint job.

OneFastLotus, I'm looking forward to hear about that SCI comparison. Isn't it much different than the pics in the mag?

--Josh

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ive not seen SCI, so Im not sure. Ardent Red is a lovely color, I love it too. I'm not sure why CO didnt look bold on the car you looked at. It could just be perception, or I guess it could have been lighting. CO is a chameleon color for sure but mine always appears bold and MUCH darker than your rendering . To each their own and remember any way you look at it, the Elise is a B-E-A-UTIFUL car! :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
I saw a CO Esprit in a showroom and it was awesome and did look like the cover SCI. I am sure that the outside sun washed it out a bit. What did you think of the BRG? Did the demo have the touring pack?

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The BRG is a good shade of dark green with a nice metallic to it. I've seen a number of them in BRG and am somewhat surprsed that I really like it. The demo is a base model without either package, but I have also driven a car with the touring pack. Any specific questions about the touring pack?

--Josh

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
JWA said:
Removing equipment variances from the equation - The Road & Track article in the August '04 issue shows a CO car that appears much bolder orange than the CO car was in person. The same car was also pictured in the September '04 Sports Car International and there it appears to be even darker.
This is the car that R&T used and I took the picture yesterday at Newport European:)

Looks good to me:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts