The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a set of track only tires that are heat cycling resistant with decent grip. I know it is a comprimise. I'm willing to scarifice some grip for consistency.

My R6 Hoosiers got hard quick. I've been able to put 3 seasons on them, over 40 heat cycles and they still have tread. I'm not sure how much grip I've lost but others have suggested quite a bit.

Toyo RA1s come up a lot and the manufacturer description includes heat cycling resistant.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
RA1s are probably your best bet :up:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I daily drove RA-1's & also took them to several track days & they performed quite well.

Or possibly go with a really good street tire vs a track tire. Pilot super sports or somethink like that

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Yup I've gone through a couple sets of RA-1 tires on the track in HPDE events, so lots and lots of heat cycles. They perform almost the same when they're worn out as they do when new.

xtn

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you think R888s will perform the same as the RA1s? The sizing on the R888s is better by far

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about A6s, do you think they will heat cycle?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Eyelise,
The A6 seems to heatcycle as bad (or worse) than the R6 tires do, they just tend to wear out before heat cycles are an issue due to a softer compound. But then, I tend to not baby my tires; your tread life may vary from my experience.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You will need to go to 15" front to use the RA1s -- but it is worth it - great tires.

The 15" fronts with 16" or 17" rears - size out well.

RA1s have a much better life than R888 for me.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
RA1s are better than 888s. 888s are not terrible, but the a1s are better...

IMO, best wheel combo is 15/17. Great tires selection even compared to 15/16 combo. 16/17 combo is the hardest for tires. Go 15/17.

R6/A6, C71 kooks are good for 6ish heat cycles and they start falling off a cliff....

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Nate379,
The first heat cycling *can* be good, it makes the tire more durable if done right. However, which each heat cycle, some of the chemicals in the tire (emoliants) get driven out, which leaves the tire harder and less grippy. After enough heat cycles the tire grips at badly as a regular street tire.

·
Registered
93 Posts
what is a cheap wheel setup to do as you suggest?
I have sector 111 Ethos wheels

Front 15x7 w/ 225/45/15 which have a 22.9 diameter .6 smaller than stock
Rear 16x8 w/ 245/45/16 which have a 24.7 diameter .3 smaller than stock

17" rear could use 235/40.17 which have 24.4 diameter .6 smaller than stock

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've found the 225/45R15 and 245/45R16 RA1s give the best compromise of grip and longevity:up:. I roll on ghetto 15/16 Roto's:rolleyes:...

I've not tried slicks since I drive my car to the track. R888's on the front seem to last alright, but R888s on the rear don't come anywhere close to the longevity of the RA1s. I've gotten ~100 session on seat of front RA1s, still had rubber, but were heat cycled out since front braking was being compromised quite a bit. I was surprised how much better the front braking was when I went from the 195 A048s to the 225 RA1s. The cars I've driven with 205/235 setups don't feel as good or balanced, esp under trail braking scenarios, 225/245 gives tons of trail braking madness, it's kind of ridiculous:coolnana:. Once you get the 245s toasty, it's a great balance:clap:, when worn and at <2/32 tread, they'll give very controllable on power sliding and slip angle as they get close to overheating.

New set of RA1 rears gave me around 60-65 sessions before they are real close to cording, which I think is pretty decent. Rear R888s would be only get me to mid 40s if I really used them, but center just seemed to wear out, like the crappy A048s. I tried all kinds of tire pressures while check tire tread temps, but could not get them to wear even like the RA1s.

I just run the RA1s starting at full tread depth and break them in over the first 3-4 sessions, which is fun if you like challenges:nanner2:. Breaking in a new seat of just rears with wore in fronts is even funner:evil:, esp if you like an oversteery car balance, again good practice:cool:...

I've driven some cars with slicks, but I like the broad dancing plateau that can be had with RA1s. Ultimate grip or lap time doesn't matter to me, the dancing is what's fun to me and keeps my driving skills sharp:shift:...

Sorry for all the rambling, just wanted to kind of capture briefly my tire history over the last 7 years of tracking these wonderful cars:clap:...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey yaudi -poke-

any plans of heading to MSR cresson soon? i need more footage of you driving to study.

MSR Cresson, 1.7 CCW in Cartoon Car
Probably won't get back out till Fall, when it cools off again. I hardly vidi anymore or drive as hard as I use too:rolleyes:. I more enjoy instructing all the cool students and their fancy cars more than anything:up:. It is fun to really use all the car that you have, just feels so right with these Loti:drool:...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RA1s are better than 888s. 888s are not terrible, but the a1s are better...

IMO, best wheel combo is 15/17. Great tires selection even compared to 15/16 combo. 16/17 combo is the hardest for tires. Go 15/17.

R6/A6, C71 kooks are good for 6ish heat cycles and they start falling off a cliff....
Ya but my problem is I want to upgrade to the AP racing calipers up front and I'm sure the 15s will not work.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The R888 isn't bad at all. Three times better than Yoko's A048 with regard to heat cycling degradation. But the RA-1 is five times better instead of three times better. You can run them for lots and lots of sessions, run them nearly into the cords, and they still grip 95% as good as they ever did.

xtn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts