The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Esprit V8. When I turn the heat on, it only comes out at the floor, and actually blows cold air out the side vents (I'm told that the center vents never produce heat by design?) My mechanic at one time determined that it was a faulty box that switches the air flow, but I have no part number and he's since lost the paper that had it on there. He said it was a real PITA to get to at the time, so before we tear into this again I thought I'd ask if anyone knows the part I'm in need of, and where to get one. This was about a year ago and the calls to Dave Bean, and a few other places turned up nothing for that part. Is there an equivalent part from another manufacturer that can be used/retrofitted?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
Confirmed: The center vents (used for A/C ) bypass the heater system, so you have to keep them closed in cold weather.

Jtrealty is the one with knowledge of the air-mixing system on the V8, hopefully he will chime in.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Confirmed: The center vents (used for A/C ) bypass the heater system, so you have to keep them closed in cold weather.

Jtrealty is the one with knowledge of the air-mixing system on the V8, hopefully he will chime in.
Silly Brits!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The vents (airflow) on the V-8's is controlled by a stepper motor, a control box, and the mode switch. It is a pretty simple and reliable system. Start with the obvious, make sure the linkage is all connected, all of the plugs are securely plugged together, and you have power. The A/C-heat in my manual is for the older vacuum actuated system so I can't help you with a detailed troubleshooting guide. The parts manual does show the stepper motor and the switches. Section 18.09a. You can try manually moving the vent to make sure nothing is blocked. Heat should only come out the footwell vents. It may actually be working as it should.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
465 Posts
Plus one on checking the linkages first. One rod had popped off on my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts